Hi. I have a World Edition blackberry that is about a year old (this is my third BB). I am having trouble understanding how this phone can have so little memory. I have cleaned the memory and have pulled the battery numerous times, I have deleted every single app that I don't use. I delete emails. I do not use my calendar. I have no ringtones, photos or music installed. The only apps I have are Pocket Express and Facebook. Whenever I have tried to download other apps in the past it constantly tells me I don't have enough memory. How can a phone of this caliber have NO memory? Isn't the purpose of this phone to be able to STORE things for use? Basically, its pretty useless except for the fact that I can text message, get an email and check my FB. Which I could probably do on ANY phone.

Right now, my memory shows 17,3153 free bites. The last app I tried to download was Pandora which uses 429mb of space. The message rec'd says "you do not have enough memory, you must first delete apps" etc!! Can anyone help me understand this?
    06-22-10 09:43 PM
    I have been there - had the silver 8830 for almost a year. That device is really a business-centric device and was not meant to be a "consumer device". The other thing to keep in mind is that they were never really meant to run OS 5 or above. So if you do have that loaded on, that in itself leaves little room for anything else.

If you are looking to do more with the BB than just email/BBM/basic browsing/ txting and ofcourse calling ,then you should look at the newer devices in the market. If I were you, I would actually wait till the end of the year if you can to see what new devices Big Red throws out for their LTE transition. If not, a first gen Storm 1 or a Tour can be found for under $200..those should take care of these issues but again, not totally.
    06-23-10 05:18 AM
    When you say you have the "World Edition BlackBerry", I'm guessing you have the 8830.

That device is OLD. It was released over 3 years ago. It has limited (64MB) device memory. As noted above, it was never really intended for multi-media applications.

When you say that you have "my memory shows 17,3153 free bites". That's not possible. You are missing either a number or the comma is in the wrong plae.
    06-23-10 06:02 AM
    I'm assuming that you've got 17,xxx kb free?

While it's true that the 88xx devices are more geared towards the business user, 17mb free memory should still be enough to load a few apps on. What OS are you running on your device? Are you properly closing out of programs on the device? What is your memory after you reset your handset?
    06-23-10 07:26 AM
    If not, a first gen Storm 1 or a Tour can be found for under $200..those should take care of these issues but again, not totally.
    Didn't the Tour have A LOT of trackball problems along with a few other issues? And, didn't the Storm 1 have A LOT of software issues along with the surepress issues from Day 1?

Why not just get a Tour 2 or a Storm 2 which have less problems. Why get the models that have had a lot of problems since day 1....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 10:16 AM
    well, I was trying to save money as that is what I would do. Honestly, I have used an S1 and now have the S2 - in some ways, I preferred my S1. The last OS update made the S1 perfect and I had zero issues with it.

The tour's trackball issue has since been fixed. If money is not an issue, then yes sure, by all means, get the latest BB - and I would suggest the Tour2/Bold since it has more mem and is just the latest. Again, if anyone can wait and not want to extend their contract, I would suggest waiting till Nov/Dec to see what's in the pipeline. Just my $0.02
    06-23-10 10:57 AM
    Just find a Tour. If you need one there are tons for sale in the marketplace forum.

And it kB and MB for kilobytes and megabytes. The little b is bits.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 12:08 PM