I have heard great things about the bold 9700 and i just ordered it.

I have a question about the GPS.

Is it a blackberry GPS or is it from a 3rd party?

Also is it voice activated GPS telling me turns and stuff like that with maps or is it just maps?

If not, is there a GPS i can download that will give me voice activated turns and what not?

Please help.. i appreciate it
    07-29-10 12:48 PM
    Blackberry Maps does not have a Voice directions on it.

The phone does require a 3rd party application to use Voice Directions GPS.

i know Gamin make a set up and there is another one.

and the phone does have a built in GPS, you will not need a secondary GPS unit.
    07-29-10 12:52 PM
    Blackberry Maps does not have a Voice directions on it.

The phone does require a 3rd party application to use Voice Directions GPS.

i know Gamin make a set up and there is another one.

and the phone does have a built in GPS, you will not need a secondary GPS unit.
    So I will have to download a 3rd party GPS in order to get voice directions for a fee?.. Thats just great! What good is Blackberry GPS then?
    07-29-10 12:54 PM
    So I will have to download a 3rd party GPS in order to get voice directions for a fee?.. Thats just great! What good is Blackberry GPS then?
    When i had my 9700 i used Garmin 4 Blackberries.
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

and i tested it against my real Gamin Nuvi 255w, and they were spot on the same. Speed, directions, everything i liked it.
    07-29-10 12:56 PM
    When i had my 9700 i used Garmin 4 Blackberries.
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

and i tested it against my real Gamin Nuvi 255w, and they were spot on the same. Speed, directions, everything i liked it.
    So it's $99 for unlimited use? I was expecting something like $10 a month. This does not make me happy.
    07-29-10 01:06 PM
    GPS is free... tell you how to drive is another story... or I should have where to drive.
    07-29-10 01:10 PM
    Garmin is $99 bucks how is it for free? You sayin blackberry GPS for free.. do they at least tell u wehere to turn and **** without a voice?..lol
    07-29-10 01:56 PM
    So it's $99 for unlimited use? I was expecting something like $10 a month. This does not make me happy.
    There are programs out there that are x amount per month.

Who is your carrier.
    07-29-10 02:06 PM
    The GPS is HARDWARE built into the phone. It's the Software to use it that you are confusing.

BlackBerry Maps is built in. It does mapping, just not spoken turn by turn directions.

Google Maps, FREE will use the maps and give you directions, just not spoken turn by turn (although, Google is putting the feature in the Android version of Google maps for free).

Spoken, Turn by turn directions is a FEATURE that is software based and costs software developers $$ to produce.

Check out amAze GPS for Blackberry, it does not cost near as much as Garmin. (I think it's $30 a year??).
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 07-29-10 at 03:30 PM.
    07-29-10 03:28 PM
    Google Maps, FREE will use the maps and give you directions, just not spoken turn by turn (although, Google is putting the feature in the Android version of Google maps for free).
    It's there and it is AWESOME ! ! ! ! ! ! it's all i use now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 03:32 PM
    hit me up on BBM, i'll tell you where to get Garmin for free for your phone

216D65D0
    how about not holding back and tell us all.
    07-29-10 11:58 PM
    You can always get TeleNav for $9.99 a month.
    07-30-10 12:00 AM
    I agree.
    07-30-10 12:02 AM
    i wont post it publicly. piracy isn't exactly acceptable on most forums. if you want it, ask. i left my pin, or you could PM me.

if i post the link, it'll be removed. smarten up guys
    07-30-10 12:05 AM
    The big problem with SatNav applications on all Blackberries is that they all rely on a connection to someone's server to download the map and direction data in real time. It's the only "smart"phone platform (apart from WebOS) that doesn't have any GPS application available with off-line mapping (i.e. country-wide maps stored on the phone or memory card). So if you get lost on a journey with no data connection available, you're screwed. Depending on where and how you travel, that may be a deal breaker for you.
    07-30-10 01:33 PM
    The big problem with SatNav applications on all Blackberries is that they all rely on a connection to someone's server to download the map and direction data in real time. It's the only "smart"phone platform (apart from WebOS) that doesn't have any GPS application available with off-line mapping (i.e. country-wide maps stored on the phone or memory card). So if you get lost on a journey with no data connection available, you're screwed. Depending on where and how you travel, that may be a deal breaker for you.
    Point well taken!
    I've used gps for years. (I'd be lost without my gpsr!)
    But stuff happens. Go driving or walking off route and something happens, and...
    For instance, get out of range from cellular towers in a boat on one of the Great Lakes...

GPS is an incredible aid. I'd be lost....

DaveL
    07-30-10 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD