Hi all, i am totally confused at the moment and hope someone might be able to help.

I have just taken delivery of a new Blackberry Bold and was told today that i will not be able to send and receive work emails on the device. At work we use Microsoft Outlook and have a Microsft exhange server i think and all my colleagues use windows based mobile and are able to send/receive work emails fine.

Is there any way or any reason why i can't send and receive emails from Microsoft Outlook on a Blackberry device? The IT guy mentioned something about the software being incompatible but i'm sure millions of people use Blackberrys and Outlook for emails. I have read around on the forum and seen terms such as BES, BIS and push email and this has confused me even more i'm afraid!

Any tips or advice would be really apprecaited as i want to keep the Bold as it seems like a great phone.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
    10-01-08 04:18 PM
    You can definitely get emails via MS exchange server. If you can access your work email from an outside PC then you can do it on a BB. Do your email set up at your BIS rather than on your BB. It should be automatic.
    10-01-08 05:10 PM
    BES: Blackberry Enterprise Service (for people who have their BB thru work, or a corprate account)
    BIS: Blackberry Internet Service (for personal BB owners)

If you have to ask, you have BIS i'm sure.

Push Email: With BB service (either one) the BB service pushes the mail to your phone rather that waiting for your phone to connect to it and "check" your mail for you.

As for your other issues, i am no expert. From what i understand for company email, if you have a username and password where you can check your email from the internet anywhere (not just thru a secure connection within the company) you can set up your BB to check it. You can do a search on this site for how to set it up.

Sorry, i wasn't much help, but i thought i'd give it a shot.
    10-01-08 05:55 PM
    Welcome to CB, Mark. Who told you "no emails from work"? Your MIS dept? Some companies do block access to emails from PDAS's and etc. My company does in general but waives the policy in many instances.
    10-01-08 06:01 PM
    My company told me the same thing.

I get my work e-mail through Outlook Web Access.

Check with your company and see if they have OWA, if so, setup your e-mail on your BB using BIS and select Use Outlook Web Access and follow the instructions.

If your company does not have OWA, then you will need to get your e-mail though BES which will require authorization from your company along with a password to set it up.

Your e-mail using OWA may be slightly delayed, mine ranges from instant to a 2-3 min. delay depending on how busy my company's server is.

Good luck,
    Blueraven
    10-03-08 10:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD