I have a few questions regarding this topic. I'm probably going to sound like an ***** to some here, but that's OK ha. I'm watching the transition to android by BlackBerry, and realizing that at some point I'm likely to end up back on Android as well. I don't own a business, I'm not trying to hide anything shady, but I do value my privacy and like to keep personal things and finances secure. I work in the medical field and with law enforcement, sometimes communication definitely has a need to maintain privacy .

I went to BlackBerry site to look at bes 12. Maybe I need to go back in and look around more, but I thought I'd ask here since I know some of you use the service.

I noticed that a bes 12 subscription on the cloud is 23$ per device per year. With that service, how much protection do you get? How does it all work? Etc. I'm considering Priv when the time comes next year, and I have teenage daughters on my plan as well. How much content could I control and how big a pia is it to do so? If they want to download an app am I going to have to give permission each time? Do you set up what is acceptable in advance? How will communication with non bes phones be affected/ protected? Lol I have so many questions . For just over 60$ a year I might just like and benefit from this service but being completely ignorant of how it all works, I turn to my Crackberry brethren for enlightenment. Thanks in advance for putting up with / helping me.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 10:40 AM
    what you're seeing is a silver BES cloud license. It does work well with Android, it is quite a bit of a pain for general public to set it up. I'd suggest parental control apps vs BES ...
    11-05-15 10:54 AM
    I would like to see more details about this as well, is BES something viable for the average person who would like increased security for their families devices?

The fees seem reasonable, but is there hidden infrastructure costs?

Can an average, somewhat tech-savvy person navigate the setup/maintenance processes?

Were not talking about large scale deployments, or deep security management, just the ability to have that extra layer of security BlackBerry is known for.

BB for Life
    11-05-15 01:56 PM
    Basically the BES12 cloud is the same as the BES12 on premise. You can lock things down via it policy that you apply to a group and then apply your devices to the group. But you will need some tech savvy, not a lot mind you. Now, the best is to find a provider of BES & mailbox. Remember that bes does not provide email. It can harden things but not likely the way you think.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 04:42 PM
    Are there any other threads this topic? I'm interested as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 01:06 PM
    Are there any other threads this topic? I'm interested as well.

Posted via CB10
    What do you want to know?

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-08-15 01:08 PM
    It helps if you keep in mind what BES is intended to do, which is:

• to secure access to a company's internal email system (their own private email servers, where most business email never leaves)
    • to secure access to a company's internal file servers
    • to secure access to a company's internal custom-written applications (and the data those apps access)
    • to provide encrypted corporate BBM (messages between employees are encrypted with the corporate keys)
    • to enable device management - push apps to the phone, block/restrict services, remote wipe if lost, etc.

Few individual consumers have their own, separately-secured email systems, file shares, or custom-written apps that they need to allow secure access to, and even fewer need to remotely admin their device or lock down their own access to services. Sure, there are going to be a few exceptions, but for most individuals, BES isn't going to provide a whole lot of usefulness or value, because they don't already have the infrastructure in place that BES is designed to provide (secure) access to.

Email is a good example. If you work for a large company, you will be given a corporate email account, and most of your business email is probably going to be to others in the company who are on the same internal email system. Those emails will never leave the corporate email servers. And, usually, any emails that do come in and out of the corporate email server are scanned, filtered, and monitored by the company, to make sure you aren't emailing out confidential info or whatever. But all of this is put in place and secured before BES is even introduced - BES hooks into this system to provide a secure way to access this secured system via the Internet & cellular networks, so that you don't have to either be on your office PC or access your email remotely via VPN (being a VPN is one aspect of BES, in fact).

If you are an individual consumer, though, and you are accessing some public email service, then chances are that even if your own connection to that service is bulletproof, in order to be useful, you'll be emailing lots of people who use some other email service, which means your emails will be traveling over the open Internet and will be "potentially insecure" on the other person's server. Thus, BES isn't going to be able to do much for you.

This isn't a dig at BES - it's just that BES was always designed to be a corporate/enterprise product, aimed at those needs. It was never intended to be a product for individuals, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that the value of BES to individuals is fairly low. It wasn't really designed to solve an individual's need/desire for security or privacy - it was designed to solve a company's need for security and employee monitoring/control (the opposite of privacy).
    medic22003 likes this.
    11-08-15 02:14 PM
    If not BES 12 then what are viable options for individual consumers with regards to privacy and security?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    11-08-15 04:29 PM
    Thank you and the rest who have explained this. I guess not what I'm looking for but it was worth exploring.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 05:00 PM
    If not BES 12 then what are viable options for individual consumers with regards to privacy and security?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    And this too lol

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 05:00 PM
    Dvasive is an app that you can use to completely shut off parts of your phone that you aren't using to prevent apps and outside folks from accessing them. I have had it for awhile but really haven't messed with it much. It also scans apps on your phone and does a security assessment. It allows you to stop the app or uninstall it as well.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 379640
    Attachment 379641
    Attachment 379642

Attachment 379643
    Attachment 379644
    Last edited by medic22003; 11-08-15 at 05:15 PM.
    11-08-15 05:02 PM