I just bought a BlackBerry Curve to use for a while until I'm ready to purchase a new one and start up a new plan.

I'm exploring ways to drop my current texting package to save money (I'm a graduate student in college). Currently, I pay $10/mo for the texting and the BB data package is going to be $24/mo (20% discount).

If I could eliminate the texting, my bill would only go up $14/mo. Here are my options:
    1) Google Voice app and have friends text my GV number.
    2) Send SMS through GMail and have them reply to my email address.
    3) Bite the bullet and pay for texting

Naturally, the first two are my favorite options due to money. The people in question have unlimited, so they wouldn't be hurt by replying to my email. Will it push fast enough for it to be useful?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    05-15-10 03:38 PM
    I went through the same thought process as you a while ago. Eventually I just kept texting on my plan because the alternatives were more of a pain then they're worth. If you really want to save money though pick an option and try it for a month. If you can live with it then take texting off your plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-10 05:42 PM
    I went through the same thought process as you a while ago. Eventually I just kept texting on my plan because the alternatives were more of a pain then they're worth. If you really want to save money though pick an option and try it for a month. If you can live with it then take texting off your plan.

If I texted a large number of people, there wouldn't be a question about it. I really only text like two people that are non-BB, though.
    05-15-10 05:45 PM
    Two words: BBM.

Or failing that use email for texting. Most carriers support that so you can email <phone number>@pcs.rogers.com for instance and go right to their SMS. When they respond you receive it as an email.

Email to SMS Gateway

That link is just one example, do a Google search to find the carrier you want to send to. Each email is carrier specific.
    05-15-10 08:45 PM
    a lot of my friends are on iphones or in canada, so we use whatsapp to text. doesnt count as texts, but works the same way.
    05-15-10 08:51 PM
    Google Voice works with push email. Just forward to your Gmail account and have it check from your phone. When someone texts you it e-mails you a phone number specific e-mail address. Save that address then reply to that and make sure to delete the original text, then voila.
    05-15-10 09:20 PM
    Two words: BBM.

Or failing that use email for texting. Most carriers support that so you can email <phone number>@pcs.rogers.com for instance and go right to their SMS. When they respond you receive it as an email.

Email to SMS Gateway

That link is just one example, do a Google search to find the carrier you want to send to. Each email is carrier specific.
    Using email was one of the things I'd think I'd be able to do. Does anyone know if gmail mobile has the "chat" feature?

Google Voice works with push email. Just forward to your Gmail account and have it check from your phone. When someone texts you it e-mails you a phone number specific e-mail address. Save that address then reply to that and make sure to delete the original text, then voila.
    But does GV lag? Is it a viable substitute?
    05-15-10 09:52 PM
    If you text frequently or expect to receive them frequently I would just invest in the monthly texting. I have tried the alternatives and they are more of a hassle. Direct sms is hands-down the fastest, most convienent method, but if you've try the alternatives and are satisfied with them, then go for it

05-15-10 10:14 PM
    GV seems that it is working well from computer to phone. I suppose now it's a matter of seeing if the mobile app integrates well.
    05-16-10 12:24 AM
    Honestly GV integration using your BIS e-mail account is a tad of a pain (it takes five more button presses/trackball movements than the threaded texting in OS 5), but it's free and actually it's not too laggy at all. I used it until I got so fed up with it I found a rep who gave me an old Alltel 400 message pack with unlimited Verizon-to-Verizon messaging + Friends and Family messaging too.
    05-16-10 02:01 AM
    Honestly GV integration using your BIS e-mail account is a tad of a pain (it takes five more button presses/trackball movements than the threaded texting in OS 5), but it's free and actually it's not too laggy at all. I used it until I got so fed up with it I found a rep who gave me an old Alltel 400 message pack with unlimited Verizon-to-Verizon messaging + Friends and Family messaging too.
    I'll give it a shot. If I could get free M2M texting without having to buy a package, it wouldn't be much of an issue.
    05-16-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD