Hello everyone! I have a quick question that a friend asked and I was unable to answer so maybe someone else can answer it for me... When adding a contact to your blackberry the number always seems to default into the "work" number section and well he was curious as to if its at all possible to make it default into the "mobile" section as most of the people who call him normally always call him from their cell phones... I didn't think there was a way to change this but I'm sure I could very well be wrong...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 06:03 PM
    No, you are correct, there's no way to change the default from "work" to "mobile."
    08-23-08 06:05 PM
    Yea it kinda stinks. Its a small thing but since the blackberry was designed & introduced as a business device it makes sense. It'll probably remain this way in future OSs too because even though there are a lot of BIS users, I'm sure there's way more BES users with corporate and government contracts n blah blah blah lol.

08-23-08 06:14 PM
    It seems like it would be a small thing to give you a menu option to chose the default field. What's even more frustrating for me is that when someone calls you on their mobile, you can't select their number and add it to the existing contact, you can only add a new contact.
    08-23-08 06:25 PM
    It seems like it would be a small thing to give you a menu option to chose the default field. What's even more frustrating for me is that when someone calls you on their mobile, you can't select their number and add it to the existing contact, you can only add a new contact.
    Indeed, that kills me as well. Perhaps that will change with the upcoming editions of BBs.
    08-23-08 06:28 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up Jeff...I agree it is really frustrating trying to add a new number to an excisting contact...

08-23-08 06:59 PM
    Yet two more things I could do on my "dumb" phone, but seems to have eluded the Blackberry - choosing the number "type" when creating a contact from my calls log, and adding a number from my calls log to an existing contact.

As for defaulting to the work number because the BB is primarily a business device... I think it's probably true, but faulty logic on the part of RIM. When someone calls me from their office, it's rare that the number shown in my call logs is the number I would want to enter as their work number, since they are usually calling out from a PBX. It's far more likely that a number appearing in my call logs will be a home or cell number, and not a work number.
    08-23-08 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD