Do you guys think Blacberry will follow in the direction of the other smartphone platforms and release quad core phones in the near future?

I cant wait for the bold touch to hit, but im starting to feel like this will be outdated before it hits? I am leaving droid ASAP and coming back to blackberry and want to have a device that will KICK A$$. Will the bold touch be competitive for the next few years? Or should a QNX based blackberry be the one I target?

What will quad core give you over a bold touch anyway?
    06-27-11 10:05 AM
    Quad core? Most smartphone batteries can't even handle dual core. I think we are years away from seeing any phone regardless of platform run a quad core processor.

If you are asking about a dual core BB, it should be here sometime in 2012. The Bold Touch will be running a single core 1.2GHz processor with 768 MB RAM which should deliver plenty of power depending on what you are wanting to use it for.
    06-27-11 10:37 AM
    unless battery tech takes a galactic leap forward, the quads in upcoming androids will drain the batteries so quickly that you may as well carry a car battery with you to charge it.

one of the huge benefits of going after 2nd gen technology in chipsets is that clock speed can be maintained while reducing heat output (wasted power) which increases battery life dramatically
    06-27-11 10:50 AM
    I'm really not interested in a quad-core processor. I think a good single core processor is good enough. Call me old fashioned, I guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    06-27-11 10:51 AM
    Blackberry has to hit the greater than 800mhrz mark first.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    06-27-11 07:16 PM
    in 3 years maybe. I dont think quad core is needed for anything this year and maybe not even next year really. BUT there will be a quadcore android by the end of this year i bet.

Will the bold touch be competitive for the next few years? not really. It will barely be competitive by the end of this year in some ways. But that will also depend on what they actually do with OS7. The hardware is pretty good but the software is lacking a ton i think. And next year when QNX hits handhelds it will be extinct IMO
    Last edited by howarmat; 06-27-11 at 07:36 PM.
    Crucial_Xtreme likes this.
    06-27-11 07:33 PM
    in 3 years maybe. I dont think quad core is needed for anything this year and maybe not even next year really. BUT there will be a quadcore android by the end of this year i bet.

Will the bold touch be competitive for the next few years? not really. It will barely be competitive by the end of this year in some ways. But that will also depend on what they actually do with OS7. The hardware is pretty good but the software is lacking a ton i think. And next year when QNX hits handhelds it will be extinct IMO
    Agree with all above minus the quad core this year. I think it'll be in Dev this year but probably not launched.
    06-27-11 07:57 PM
    What a total waste that would be. No phone needs that kind of processing power to function. Dual core will be more than enough power in the 1.2 to 1.5 range. Even that might be a little high. I will be glad to see the end of the numbers race. Now lets see if the other companies can match RIMs ability to maximize power consumption. I have 2 batteries for my 9300 and I never have to swap them except once a month to keep them both working. I Bridge and tether to my Playbook all day with it on and I only lose 1 bar over 10 hours.
    06-27-11 08:01 PM
    Agree with all above minus the quad core this year. I think it'll be in Dev this year but probably not launched.
    It is supposedly already in development. The Motorola Bullet and Jet are rumored to be quad core devices that will be released in 2012.
    06-27-11 10:11 PM
    yeah im not sure if they will get them out this year but i know they, along with some tabs are rumored to be pretty far along in the dev chain.
    06-27-11 10:19 PM
    And they will do everything twice as fast as the dual cores, right? LOL. It's one of the few ways for Android OEMs to try and differentiate their devices, but is not really a needed step anytime soon.

Why does this topic make me think of those "Does it got a Hemi?" commercials?
    06-27-11 10:44 PM
    more power is more power period!

I want to carry out a phone call while streaming a HD movie to my TV while Tethered to my laptop surfing the net (with no lag) while Bridged to my PlayBook having a BBM conversation. Until I can do that with no problems...Give it more power Scottie!
    06-28-11 12:48 AM
    Yes RIM will develop a quad core BlackBerry, however as we know from them, it will be well behind the curve of the Android phones. And I do believe multi core phones will become efficient if they are not already, as the cores will be able to throttle down to idle faster when they complete a task. And I suspect they will throttle up or down in speed as a process demands.

Battery tech must improve not for cores but for larger screens and the 3G and 4G radios. I would love to see a color e-ink type of screen show up. Now that effeciency would do wonders for the devices.

As usual, these are my thoughts and given out for free, and as such are valued at $0.02. ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 07:19 AM
    Forget multi core CPUs. We should all be asking for an ATI APU.

Single core, dual core and a DX11 GPU all in one nice little package.

Then we could all play WOW on our BB (or Eve, in my case).
    06-28-11 07:40 AM
    i think smart phones are picking up where the hype on computers left off... home computers are at what 6, 8 and 12 cores and ive heard talks of a 32core processer... of course right now the money is there so they are going to push it out to us as fast as we can swipe or tap a credit card... and we are going to fight and argue who is better, who sucks, and why what company is going to fade into the void...
    06-28-11 12:26 PM
    Almost. 6 cores is the most you see in a desktop CPU these days. Intel uses hyperthreading to pretend it has more.

an i7 with 8 cores is actually a quad core CPU with 8 virtual CPUs basically. AMD does not do that.

However that does bring up a cool point. A single core CPU with hyperthreading for a total of 2 pretend CPUs would be cool.
    06-28-11 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD