Discolsure: I've had iPhones since launch and currently have a 3gs.

I'm about to begin business school and there are some benefits in me switching to a BlackBerry. I'm not averse to change nor married to the iPhone, but I do have a couple questions / concerns:

1) Gmail integration. I've read about many work-arounds, but I'm still confused about whether or not there is accurate (and timely) 2-way syncing.

2) Google voice. I use this for free texting, but the iPhone app is pretty worthless in that regard. I just have the texts emailed to my gmail account and reply from there. Does the BB app have full integration? Meaning, do get a new notification pushed to the phone?

3) Typing. Generally I hear how much people love the keyboards, but I am so used to the virtual keyboard at this point. How is the learning curve for using the blackberry keyboard?

I just got back from playing with the Torch and am confident that I would be fine with it. If anyone could help me with my questions though, it would make my decision much easier. Thanks!
    08-12-10 11:01 AM
    1. The gmail 2-way sync is by far the best one. You get emails instantly and they are synced both ways easily.

2. The google voice app is really nice and I use it a lot, it pushes everything to your phone so you use the native sms/phone but the app is very usable and it gets pushed at the increments you select.

3. The keyboard is one of the only reasons I love blackberry... for about the first week it was bad but now I can type so fast. I have big fingers and it was really easy for me.

The torch is a very nice phone and it would be a very easy switch from the iphone as it has the best of 2 worlds.
    08-12-10 11:14 AM
    I just hope you are aware the BB phones are NOTHING like the jesus phone. seriously. I have a touch and a storm. I HATE typing on a "plain" touchscreen. The Storm's Surepress is just what "the doctor ordered" for me--I can type faster and accurately on a Storm. YOU, coming from an iPhone may not like the Storm's screen, but then you also may not like a physical/cramped keyboard either. You have 30 days to try a phone, so I suggest that rather than getting a small sampling of user comments to guide you, just pick out the model that appeals to you in the store. You can always exchange or return it if it's not to your liking. There are lots of reviews of the torch to be found on line. even BB owners disagree about which model BB to own, so it's very much a personal choice. Since you have AT&T, the Storm would not be an option for you...

As far as google voice, it works fine. I have a gmail account, but don't access it on my phone--I have a yahoo acct for personal and a comcast account for business, as well as BB account, so that's more than enough addys for my phone.
    08-12-10 11:18 AM
    Thanks for the replies!

Dave - I'm really only considering the Torch, to be honest.

Balla - How do you have your gmail set up? I'm confused by all of the different methods that people use.
    08-12-10 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD