I think my Subaru Outback wins over your Mercedes Benz any day. I can attach a tent to mine; take it off road, use regular gasoline and parts are less expensive

Is Android the Subaru of smart phones?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-11 07:22 AM
    I think my Subaru Outback wins over your Mercedes Benz any day. I can attach a tent to mine; take it off road, use regular gasoline and parts are less expensive

Again, a matter of choice. More choices are good for everyone.
    01-31-11 07:28 AM
    I'm interested to see QNX on a BlackBerry.

01-31-11 07:30 AM
    One thing Apple will always have over Rim and Android is the Graphic Design industry on its side. Just looking at apps on the ipad is feast of beauty, had a look at the Honeycomb pictures and it looks like it's been designed by a programmer that watched too many wifi movies lol
    Ipad and iphone screens are simply beauty.
    I still want a playbook though lol
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-31-11 08:05 AM
    Just look at this website designed by a client of mine, every time I look at it I just think Apple:

The Spaniard Pub Belfast - An Amberfly/Papermouse Collaboration
    01-31-11 08:19 AM
    I think my Subaru Outback wins your Mercedes Benz any day. I can attach a tent to mine; take it off road, use regular gasoline and parts are less expensive

A good point chrisy. I would not agree because I do not have a need for a tent. Mrs. Pete6 likes comfy hotels. This is the crux of the whole argument. Personal preference and choice. I'll defend that to the hilt.

Neither of our cars are the top volume sellers but, like our Blackberrys we like our cars for our own reasons and they serve us well.

As to Android being the Subaru of smartphones. Well, I am having some trouble mapping phones to cars here - duh. Is there a four wheel drive phone? I know my 9700 is not a V6 and the Merc is not 3G.

Joking aside, the analog is still mostly valid.
    01-31-11 09:18 AM
    Since Qnx will be able to use android apps and such, we need to see larger screens on future BlackBerry smartphones for improved eye candy.
    01-31-11 10:33 AM
    QNX is the winner but you don't know much about it? I guess that says it all.
    01-31-11 11:19 AM
    Since Qnx will be able to use android apps and such, we need to see larger screens on future BlackBerry smartphones for improved eye candy.
    or you could do what most people will do and just buy the "real thing".
    01-31-11 11:19 AM
    I think that this is more a quality rather than quantity question.

iPhones and Android clearly lead RIM is units sold. All the figures tout this.

I drive a Mercedes Benz CLK and clearly this car does not outsell Toyotas and Fords. However I feel that I have a far higher quality products and better features than many rival marques.

I feel the same with my BlackBerry. The barbarian hordes of iPhone and Android have overrun the marketplace and soaked up network capacity but I sit with my highly secure and relaible BlackBerry. My phone uses the network intelligently and almost never fails (9700 on OS5).

Just watching units sold (with cars and phones) does not, imo, give the full picture.

WHen QNX phones arrive they will be, and may remain, a minority in sales. What they will bring is more consumer choice and a lot of undataed goodies from RIM current and future.
    That's a good point that gets overlooked a lot...especially when people just get heated discussing sheer number statistics and don't go over - "Well, they out sold RIM, how do people feel?" The argument there goes to the forums and then people with whatever phone is being "flamed" defend their choices as the moral "correctedness" falls and the "I love my phone and it does X, Y, and Z better than..." argument over takes all logical comparisons or general favor of the devices in question.

And again like Pete said, it all goes to choice and preference. I love BMW and my fianc�e loves Audi - IMO Audi is crap and BMW is top notch. Will I stop her from falling into her dream and buying an Audi? No. But what I'm getting at is that it isn't just based on preference it is based on the derived appeal or appearance of that apparent luxury that is presented to the consumer. It is all based off of a perceived sense of quality and luxury that the consumer is buying.

Not saying we buy crap, but I am saying that is is based on what we perceive is the best...and it relative to what we desire. Some desire things others won't - we should stop arguing personal preference. Instead it has been argued that people are "settling" when it comes to purchases.

I don't understand that perception - and I've played Devil's Advocate on here a few times in terms of questioning a users reluctance or indulgence to "settle" for a device that lacks features that other devices have or visa versa. The truth is, we don't "settle". We are all given a choice to buy whatever it is we want to buy, therefore, we don't really lean towards one device over the other because we are settling for less features or lack of functionality, we buy it because we chose to buy it. (Unless you're on AT&T in which case the iPhone was arguably the only good phone to buy)

What has come to mind for me after reading the OPs comment on QNX (in terms of BlackBerry - "BlackBerry Tablet OS") being superior to all other platforms in terms of being new and a winner is that it comes with no precedence. People don't understand the true nature of the beast because people don't go around questioning "Oh, what makes my car's in house center console display tick...?" They just accept it for what it's worth and move on with their lives.

Another aspect that Pete touched on was the capabilities of the kernel OS to do a job that most other operating systems haven't done yet. Why I think RIM put QNX onto a dual core device was simply this - it has the power to do much, much more (as touched on by Kevin during the podcast) than any other OS to date. What we fail to realize is the ability for operating systems to capture the true nature of what performance computing is - and that is - simply put, processing! QNX seems to have developed operating systems in a way where they maximize the true nature of the system they are designed for. It's like a custom fit glove versus a generic, small, medium, large glove - so to speak.

Harnessing the entire spectrum of processing power is key when developing an operating system and QNX has demonstrated to the world time and time again that they possess the ability to custom build operating systems that are not only reliable, but can truly show off the entirety of the hardware behind the scene.

Some of you might counter this in saying "Well our _________ phone can do this and this and this..." The point isn't what your phone can do now, it is what should it be able to do that it doesn't do.

We are all so quick to jump on current technology bandwagon that we fail to recognize the innovation and careful planning it takes to master these devices into what they can come to be called consumer devices.

With integrating a QNX developed OS into the existing BB OS environment they can start generating true electronic devices that harness each and every element of the hardware that is included within the device. QNX allows them to do this - because before, as we all know - the software was always too much for the hardware to handle. Hopefully now, taking a step back, RIM can continue taking multiple steps, or even LEAPS forward to stay on par with the competition in a way to keep their competitive edge, well, competitive.

That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by theruined; 01-31-11 at 12:14 PM.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    01-31-11 12:05 PM
    QNX is the winner but you don't know much about it? I guess that says it all.
    If I wanted a smart comment I would ask someone with intelligence. I was giving my opinion and that's all. From what I have read about it , I am well impressed and excited for it.

Am I not allowed to be excited about it ?.

I just wanted people's opinion's on it .As I said in my first I said no bashing in this post , its childish . I haven't been proven wrong . Grow up for yourself.

01-31-11 12:30 PM
    If I wanted a smart comment I would ask someone with intelligence. I was giving my opinion and that's all. From what I have read about it , I am well impressed and excited for it.

Am I not allowed to be excited about it ?.

I just wanted people's opinion's on it .As I said in my first I said no bashing in this post , its childish . I haven't been proven wrong . Grow up for yourself.

his "buy the real thing" comment says it all...you just can't take him seriously. (at least I can't )
    01-31-11 12:35 PM
    his "buy the real thing" comment says it all...you just can't take him seriously. (at least I can't )
    I know ya. You can't express your opinion here anymore without been bashed . Kevin really needs to do something with people and their bashing or remove people from the site altogether .

I was nice in that last post .

Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-31-11 at 12:48 PM.
    01-31-11 12:39 PM
    I know ya. You can't express your opinion here anymore without been bashed . Kevin really needs to do something with people and there bashing or remove people from the site altogether .

I was nice in that last post .

Android Central is far more strict. (deletion of offensive material is swift, and they will ban posters as necessary) They don't put up with any BS. They will ban people in a heartbeat. CB is more "forgiving". that can be a double edged sword. What I do to maintain my sanity is put a few of the worst offenders on "ignore". Once in a while their crap shows up when someone quotes them, but it's rare enough that that solution has worked pretty well for me. I went a long time w/o anyone on ignore, but I finally reached a breaking point with two particularly obnoxious posters that weren't banned (but, IMO, should CLEARLY have been banned). oh well. all in all, this is a great resource for BB users.
    01-31-11 12:48 PM
    Android Central is far more strict. (deletion of offensive material is swift, and they will ban posters as necessary) They don't put up with any BS. They will ban people in a heartbeat. CB is more "forgiving". that can be a double edged sword. What I do to maintain my sanity is put a few of the worst offenders on "ignore". Once in a while their crap shows up when someone quotes them, but it's rare enough that that solution has worked pretty well for me. I went a long time w/o anyone on ignore, but I finally reached a breaking point with two particularly obnoxious posters that weren't banned (but, IMO, should CLEARLY have been banned). oh well. all in all, this is a great resource for BB users.
    Great for blackberry users and soon QNX users.

IN MY OPINION ... Ok Dutchtender.

Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-31-11 at 12:54 PM.
    01-31-11 12:51 PM
    Great for blackberry users and soon QNX users.

IN MY OPINION ... Ok Dutchtender.

It's not QNX bud, it's BlackBerry Tablet OS...as far as RIM os concerned...After all they did buy them...

01-31-11 12:56 PM
    It's not QNX bud, it's BlackBerry Tablet OS...as far as RIM os concerned...After all they did buy them...

Ya that's what I should have said... Playbook users .

What does everyone else think.

Will Blackberry tablet os out perform all other os platforms . Fingers crossed.

Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-31-11 at 01:06 PM.
    01-31-11 01:00 PM
    Ya that's what I should have said... Playbook users .

What does everyone else think.

Will Blackberry tablet os out perform all other os platforms . Fingers crossed.

What I've seen of QNX so far is really colored by the UI--and that's decidedly WebOS-like, so I look forward to the release of the PB so I can get my hands on it and do the cool UI things that the Palm Pre had going for it. The QNX OS is the "engine" that is great for techies to talk about, but the INTERFACE is what I'm interested in, as a user. And to me, the interface looks AMAZING, so far. I like the whole concept of swiping away an app to close it. that's so intuitive and quick. If all I had to look forward to was great hardware specs, the PB would be a "MEH" in my mind, but with the cool UI and QNX's capabilities, the PB looks like it will be hit unless a paucity of popular apps kills it before it gets out of the starting block.
    01-31-11 01:16 PM
    or you could do what most people will do and just buy the "real thing".
    Yeah buy and Android and spend your days putting up informative RIM sucks posts on Crackberry like "most" do!
    01-31-11 01:17 PM
    What I've seen of QNX so far is really colored by the UI--and that's decidedly WebOS-like, so I look forward to the release of the PB so I can get my hands on it and do the cool UI things that the Palm Pre had going for it. The QNX OS is the "engine" that is great for techies to talk about, but the INTERFACE is what I'm interested in, as a user. And to me, the interface looks AMAZING, so far. I like the whole concept of swiping away an app to close it. that's so intuitive and quick. If all I had to look forward to was great hardware specs, the PB would be a "MEH" in my mind, but with the cool UI and QNX's capabilities, the PB looks like it will be hit unless a paucity of popular apps kills it before it gets out of the starting block.
    IMO ui is what iOS lacks and what Android can improve upon...Android is just so scattered and unorganized to me...leaves me frustrated when using it how things aren't as streamlined as I am used to...

01-31-11 01:20 PM
    IMO ui is what iOS lacks and what Android can improve upon...Android is just so scattered and unorganized to me...leaves me frustrated when using it how things aren't as streamlined as I am used to...

I'm very ambivalent about the iOS UI. It's dummied down to the nth degree so anyone that's never used one can pick up a device like an iPhone or Touch and begin using it immediately. The down side to that ease of use is that customization takes a HUGE hit and that is one of the things I appreciated when I bought and set up my first Storm. There are options galore. Now if only they had the apps to go along with that, a high res/larger screen, faster CPU, I'd be happier than a pig in slop with a BB. (so close, yet so far--you know??)

oh, and notifications on the iPhone are incredibly BAAAD. so intrusive. I hear apple hired the guy from Palm that worked on notifcations, so perhaps an iOS update will come with a totally revamped notification UI.
    01-31-11 01:25 PM
    My two cents - calling QNX THE winner at this point is a bit premature and extreme. But if it does make its way into mobile devices and if it does live up to its rather considerable expectations, it should be A winner for RIM that should put and keep BB in a strong position in the smart phone wars. Keep in mind, iOS is not that old and is pretty firmly entrenched in the consumer market; and Apple has never been known to sit still. Android is making big waves and it still has a lot of maturing to do. Neither of them are going anywhere, and don't think for a second that they're not aware of this looming QNX threat. There's plenty of room for all of them, and the best part is that they're all keeping each other on their toes, which means we all should keep seeing new and slick stuff coming for a good long time.

01-31-11 01:34 PM
    I'm very ambivalent about the iOS UI. It's dummied down to the nth degree so anyone that's never used one can pick up a device like an iPhone or Touch and begin using it immediately. The down side to that ease of use is that customization takes a HUGE hit and that is one of the things I appreciated when I bought and set up my first Storm. There are options galore. Now if only they had the apps to go along with that, a high res/larger screen, faster CPU, I'd be happier than a pig in slop with a BB. (so close, yet so far--you know??)

oh, and notifications on the iPhone are incredibly BAAAD. so intrusive. I hear apple hired the guy from Palm that worked on notifcations, so perhaps an iOS update will come with a totally revamped notification UI.
    That takes me back to the first BlackBerry I bought lol...I was like "wtf is all of this!?" But that was truly the allure of the phone, all the options and features that most phones at that time had pretty archaic firmware features...

Anywho...iOS doesn't even compare to the features of BlackBerry and android...but BlackBerry OS doesn't feel as cramped

01-31-11 01:36 PM
    This coming from the Glenn Beck of the anti-RIM crowd here on Crackberry
    That was hilarious someone needs to put that troll in his place lol
    01-31-11 08:48 PM

So why buy a tab for browsing the web without flash . There is no point
    Exactly! I love how ultra-mobile the Playbook is, and how is provides the FULL web experience.

I have a few friends who have an iPad, but they have to carry a laptop with them as well, because the iPad cannot render the flash pages they visit regularly.

It's not only pointless, its ********. You Pay $600/$700 for a tablet, and you have to carry a laptop around with you too just to visit some site that you cant with iPad... and Then you end up using the Laptop most of the time anyway.

I mean for a few hundred bucks more you could buy a laptop....
    01-31-11 09:02 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD