Of course there is a finish line. That is why no other tablet will EVER touch the iPad when it comes to sales. The iPad has already crossed the finish line. The question is: "Whose coming in second?".
    Its early days yet . There is a lot of tabs to come out yet and lots are waiting on the playbook

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fatoomah likes this.
    01-30-11 06:01 PM
    Its early days yet . There is a lot of tabs to come out yet and lots are waiting on the playbook

Exactly. That's why I asked "Who's coming in second?".
    01-30-11 06:07 PM
    Well it won't be the playbook anyway . The ipad doesn't suuport flash and this is why I think the itoy will go bye bye too cos ******* doesn't want it. Look how quickly people jumped ship from blackberry . They will do the same with apple and its lack of flash .

How long before they got copy and paste ?

Like all dicators , people will get sick of him eventually . I wouldn't be surprized if the ipad came in last over its lack features . The next 3 years are going to be very exciting. Blackberry and Qnx is going to be big part of it I think .

01-30-11 06:15 PM
    flash didnt stop the first ipad and i doubt its going to stop the second either. It will still selling millions...i have to agree the race is for 2nd place for now. Next year might be a different story though once everyone has had there tablet on the market for a full year or close to it
    01-30-11 06:19 PM
    flash didnt stop the first ipad and i doubt its going to stop the second either. It will still selling millions...i have to agree the race is for 2nd place for now. Next year might be a different story though once everyone has had there tablet on the market for a full year or close to it
    I will agree with you there it mightnt slow down the sales at first but once you can have a full web experience on your playbook or other tab . That is when sales are going to be hurt.

As you said you next year could be different .

The playbook and other tabs have a lot of ground to make up but Apple lead I think will quickly erode cos of lack of features like flash or others .

What app is that ? Am its not an app , its the web.

ROLL ON THE PLAYBOOK ....

Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-30-11 at 06:45 PM.
    01-30-11 06:42 PM
    Rewind this back to 2008 and release QNX with the OG Storm and you may have an argument. Fast forward to 2011 and everything that RIM does from this point appears to be reactive, and not proactive. As nice as QNX may be (actual performance is yet to be seen), it will be seen as a reaction to IOS and Android, which will may be viewed by the masses as "too little, too late".
    The masses actually don't care, they'll see BlackBerry as BlackBerry. Unless every BlackBerry sold has a big flashy stamp on the box saying "NOW WITH QNX" the only thing they'll notice is suddenly BlackBerry phones have better running software with a new and improved interface with the ability to install Android apps. Those of us watching the progress and development are going to be the ones with the first gen devices showing off what they can do; I doubt the focus is going to swing away from Android/iOS just because QNX goes mainstream. It's this time period that's going to be a low point for RIM, but it's not going to be "the end" by a long shot.

01-30-11 06:47 PM
    QNX is a great way froward.

However, as a veteran of a number of transitions over the last decade (Mac OS to OS X, Android, Palm OS to webOS etc.), I ask myself whether I want to go through yet one more.

Remember that every transition entails pain, lots of "free" beta testing and daily frustrations far larger than problems with the current product. So while QNX is great for RIM and future customers in the long run, for existing users the proposition is not so obvious.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-30-11 06:55 PM
    Exactly. That's why I asked "Who's coming in second?".
    So the past has meaning, but the future doesn't?
    01-30-11 07:06 PM
    Well it won't be the playbook anyway . The ipad doesn't suuport flash and this is why I think the itoy will go bye bye too cos ******* doesn't want it. Look how quickly people jumped ship from blackberry . They will do the same with apple and its lack of flash .

Like all dicators , people will get sick of him eventually . I wouldn't be surprized if the ipad came in last over its lack features . The next 3 years are going to be very exciting. Blackberry and Qnx is going to be big part of it I think .

LOL! While I can't agree with your central premise, I DO admire your disdain of Herr Jobs and HIS vision of what HE thinks the public wants. IMO, only HIS admiring public wants what HE envisions. The rest of the public would like to see him LISTEN to the comments of his engineers and focus groups--something that will NEVER happen during his REIGN as the Supreme Leader.

As far as your question about c&p: the answer is TWO FREAKIN' YEARS!
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    01-30-11 07:10 PM
    So the past has meaning, but the future doesn't?
    Tucker is a bit myopic and simplistic thinking. Don't try to reason with him. It'll will **** him off and frustrate you.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-30-11 07:11 PM
    Once the hobbit steve jobs is gone,apple will tank.

01-30-11 07:14 PM
    Tucker is a bit myopic and simplistic thinking. Don't try to reason with him. It'll will **** him off and frustrate you.
    Point taken!
    1812dave likes this.
    01-30-11 07:32 PM
    'Nuff said. That's like getting my "NEWS" from Rush Limbaugh.
    This coming from the Glenn Beck of the anti-RIM crowd here on Crackberry
    Last edited by lnichols; 01-30-11 at 07:47 PM.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    01-30-11 07:42 PM
    System scalability starts with the operating system. QNX Neutrino, by nature of its very architecture enables systems to scale from tiny embedded devices to some of the highest capacity networking equipment available today.

QNX provides Adaptive Partitioning. With Adaptive Partitioning, system architects can allocate CPU and memory resources to each development team. Development teams are then able to complete their subsystems within their budgets. At system integration, complexities arising from resource contention and conflicting priorities are eliminated. Unlike traditional partitioning schemes, the dynamic nature of Adaptive Partitioning ensures maximum CPU utilization by ensuring that unused CPU cycles from one partition are made available to other partitions should they be able to make use of them.

QNX offers the world�s most comprehensive support for multi-core processors. QNX Neutrino is the only RTOS that offers proven, deployed symmetric multiprocessing capability. Where other OS vendors are struggling to address the new multi-core model, QNX customers have benefited from QNX multi-processing technology for over a decade. QNX for multi-core processors supports both the asymmetric and symmetric multiprocessing models. QNX has gone even further, pioneering bound multi-processing, a technology that spans the asymmetric and symmetric processing models to offer the control and determinism of asymmetric multiprocessing with the simplified programming model and performance benefits of symmetric multiprocessing. QNX Momentics was developed from the ground up with multiprocessing capabilities. The combination of an instrumented kernel and advanced visualization tools provide developers with the ability to quickly and effectively debug and optimize code in a multi-core environment.

This is just a small portion of how scalable QNX is. ...
    I totally agree with all of your post. Brilliant. Understanding just what an OS does and is, and then separating that from what the final product in the hand is a total mystery to many and clearly to one person in this thread.

Just looking at the QNX kernel, which I have never seen and have only read about - quite a bit, it seems to me that whilst QNX was initially targetted at the automotive real-time environment, it has tremedous poptential to be ported to consumer devices.

I am reminded a little of Digital Equipment's RSX-11M OS when I look at the real-time environment of QNX.

I am enthralled to watch what will happen when QNX is couple with a dual core CPU and a graphics accellerator.

I have great hopes for this OS in a phone and I know that if RIM produce a great product then the fickle market will buy it.

I say this because the perception of RIM today is that of a tired company BUT RIM has tremendous engineering capability - far better than Apple.

iOS is not moribund and stteped in Appples restrictive markting policies. It is stuck where it is today and cannot move. The market will also tire of iOS's way of doing things and carriers will soon make a play to regain the lost control that the iPhone caused when it smashed onto the market.

Android is a bit of a mess internally from what I have seen and comes with a good deal of baggage attached from Google who obviously want it to run Google apps first and foremost. Again it smashed into the market and is the current leader but imagine if RIM released a QNX OS that would run on any Android phone.

WP7 looks to me to be a real kiler of an OS for the non-technical masses and If I left Blackberry today this is where I would go (once I got Cut 'n Paste, of course).
    01-30-11 08:08 PM
    I totally agree with all of your post. Brilliant. Understanding just what an OS does and is, and then separating that from what the final product in the hand is a total mystery to many and clearly to one person in this thread.

Just looking at the QNX kernel, which I have never seen and have only read about - quite a bit, it seems to me that whilst QNX was initially targetted at the automotive real-time environment, it has tremedous poptential to be ported to consumer devices.

I am reminded a little of Digital Equipment's RSX-11M OS when I look at the real-time environment of QNX.

I am enthralled to watch what will happen when QNX is couple with a dual core CPU and a graphics accellerator.

I have great hopes for this OS in a phone and I know that if RIM produce a great product then the fickle market will buy it.

I say this because the perception of RIM today is that of a tired company BUT RIM has tremendous engineering capability - far better than Apple.

iOS is not moribund and stteped in Appples restrictive markting policies. It is stuck where it is today and cannot move. The market will also tire of iOS's way of doing things and carriers will soon make a play to regain the lost control that the iPhone caused when it smashed onto the market.

Android is a bit of a mess internally from what I have seen and comes with a good deal of baggage attached from Google who obviously want it to run Google apps first and foremost. Again it smashed into the market and is the current leader but imagine if RIM released a QNX OS that would run on any Android phone.

WP7 looks to me to be a real kiler of an OS for the non-technical masses and If I left Blackberry today this is where I would go (once I got Cut 'n Paste, of course).
    This is exactly what I'm on about since my first post . When Qnx comes to the phones it will be well evolved and ready for the masses . RIM has got beat down bad in the press all last year but have listened.

Jobs wants to much control and people with drop the itoy when blackberry phones get Qnx . I don't think as many people will buy the Ipad 2 cos flash comes on the playbook and others .

Why buy laced trainers for running without the laces. Its just stupid .

So why buy a tab for browsing the web without flash . There is no point

With android your just enjoying reading a book and puff goes the battery

As you said carriers and people will tell Jobs to **** off sooner rather than later. People jumped ship from blackberry and the same will happen to Apple once Qnx hits the phones .

Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-30-11 at 08:45 PM.
    01-30-11 08:26 PM
    Won't QNX make your BlackBerry be able to do the same things as what you're calling an "iToy?" Why do you want that?

Like True multitasking?
    How about a customized home screen?
    01-30-11 09:12 PM
    Time for bed now , its 3 am here in cold Ireland

Bye bye itoy , you don't have long left to live .

Last edited by bigpolla04; 01-30-11 at 09:21 PM.
    01-30-11 09:13 PM
    QNX may turn out to be a winner but it's not coming to a smartphone anytime soon. By the time it is out those people that tried another platform may realize they like their new devices better and the question becomes will QNX be good enough to make android and iPhone users come back to blackberry.

01-30-11 09:35 PM
    First off I love the torch by the way ...

After listening to the latest podcast which was very funny and just brilliant . Nfc duh ... So funny. It got me thinking that Qnx is a real winner and I don't know much about it. Apple has the oldest os now and android is very messy according to Kevin . I honestly do think that once Qnx finally comes to the phones its going to blow the others out of the water .

Apple hasn't really done anything amazing in the last few years and android . Well I don't know anything about that os so its pointless to give an opinion. If Qnx really is so powerful as we all hope , I can honestly see the itoy disappearing altogether . Android I'm not so sure .
    Lots still love blackberry but jump ship cos others have more apps, bigger processors or whatever but with Qnx . Its both secure, powerful and easy to develop for. So I can honestly see the itoy go bye bye in a few years time.

What you think guys?

You're praising and comparing an unproven unreleased OS to other platforms? You gotta be kidding me
    01-30-11 09:38 PM
    Of course there is a finish line. That is why no other tablet will EVER touch the iPad when it comes to sales. The iPad has already crossed the finish line. The question is: "Whose coming in second?".
    This is true. IBM won the PC war on both fronts with PC-DOS and the IBM PC. And Microsoft and Dell and all the rest brought up the rear, too little, too late.
    01-30-11 10:11 PM

Not to mention how long did it take me to figure out how to do it....
    01-30-11 10:14 PM
    Just to throw my $0.02 out there, I am awaiting QNX, but iOS is a very great platform to use. Androids isn't too bad either imo. The only one I'm not crazy about is Windows.

01-30-11 10:17 PM
    Once the hobbit steve jobs is gone,apple will tank.

Although I think Jobs is very important to Apple (obviously), I think the company will still thrive once he is gone. Plenty of designers for the company have been there to keep the styling, and I think his innovative thinking has probably trickled down some.

Will they drop a bit? Probably, but I doubt we will see them fall.

01-30-11 10:22 PM
    You're praising and comparing an unproven unreleased OS to other platforms? You gotta be kidding me
    Qnx might be a new os but it is far from unproven . Qnx is practically in everything .

01-31-11 05:47 AM
    This is true. IBM won the PC war on both fronts with PC-DOS and the IBM PC. And Microsoft and Dell and all the rest brought up the rear, too little, too late.
    I think that this is more a quality rather than quantity question.

iPhones and Android clearly lead RIM is units sold. All the figures tout this.

I drive a Mercedes Benz CLK and clearly this car does not outsell Toyotas and Fords. However I feel that I have a far higher quality products and better features than many rival marques.

I feel the same with my BlackBerry. The barbarian hordes of iPhone and Android have overrun the marketplace and soaked up network capacity but I sit with my highly secure and relaible BlackBerry. My phone uses the network intelligently and almost never fails (9700 on OS5).

Just watching units sold (with cars and phones) does not, imo, give the full picture.

WHen QNX phones arrive they will be, and may remain, a minority in sales. What they will bring is more consumer choice and a lot of undataed goodies from RIM current and future.
    01-31-11 07:15 AM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD