Might sound like a daft question, but (and this is where the confusion kicks in) my understanding is that the QNX is being used primarily to allow Android apps to run on a Blackberry. Correct?

If so, it begs the question of if BB-haters are waiting for QNX, then why not JUST buy an Android phone?

I thought that the downside with Android was that it's got more holes in it (security-wise) than a Catholic condom, and thus was useless in that respect. (bit like iOS - I know, as mine's Jailbroken and I can do a lot of silly things on it)

The apps therefore will inherently have security concerns (as they're Android apps).......

Have I missed something here? BB is what it is and has earned it's respect due to it's security rigour. With the inclusion of Android open-source, this is compromised...

If I've got this wrong, then I'll publicly apologise now, and would welcome someone to explain it.
    But in the meantime, I'll be looking at an OS7 phone as my next 18-month cycle device.....
    08-26-11 10:17 AM
    Os6 and 7 are great and do all that I need it to do. I don't need to play games or edit videos or whatever. It sends email, pictures, bbm, etc.
    I could care less about qnx. I could use os7 for a year at least.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-11 10:30 AM
    QNX is not about Android it has many other benefits. My understanding is that they are developing the Android player to run in a secure partition within the OS, for security reason that you mentioned.
    ScoobyDoo555 and jonathon.94 like this.
    08-26-11 10:32 AM
    Let me google that for you
    Operating Systems
    QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QNX is modular, making it smaller, more efficient, more stable, more versatile, just....MORE. It's been around since 1982 and runs everything from cars to Point-Of-Sale computers, cash registers, audio processors, etc... Android functionality will simply be an add-on, a modular micro-kernel. It is not the primary function of nor main raison d'�tre for QNX. So, yes, you've got it wrong.
    ScoobyDoo555 likes this.
    08-26-11 10:40 AM
    Might sound like a daft question, but (and this is where the confusion kicks in) my understanding is that the QNX is being used primarily to allow Android apps to run on a Blackberry. Correct?
    I think you meant the Android Player, not QNX. QNX is the operating system used for the PlayBook and the Android Player allows the running of android applications on the PlayBook.

If so, it begs the question of if BB-haters are waiting for QNX, then why not JUST buy an Android phone?
    The Android Player addresses the lack of applications available for the PlayBook and gives BlackBerry users access to more applications. If you go out and just buy an Android phone/tablet you will not have access to all the functions of a BlackBerry as there is no BlackBerry Player for Android... do you follow me so far?

So that is why I, personally would not "JUST buy an Android phone" as you said.

Now I don't know if running Android applications on the PlayBook would infringe on your security, I highly doubt it. Perhaps someone else could shed some light on this

Hope this helps your understanding as to why a PlayBook user would not "JUST buy an Android phone"

--Bounce
    ScoobyDoo555 likes this.
    08-26-11 10:48 AM
    Wasn't meant as a sh1tty post - I'm new to Blackberry and my (incorrect) impressions were what I posted. But they were just that - impressions.

Clears up a lot of things: as for the "let me google that for you", I'm behind a rather "iron fist" firewall at work, otherwise I could have looked at home (and will do!)
    08-26-11 10:59 AM
    Wasn't meant as a sh1tty post - I'm new to Blackberry and my (incorrect) impressions were what I posted. But they were just that - impressions.

Clears up a lot of things: as for the "let me google that for you", I'm behind a rather "iron fist" firewall at work, otherwise I could have looked at home (and will do!)
    I know you didn't intend on making your post that way, and I was trying to clear up any misconception you might have had. I hope I didn't come off as condescending, for I was not trying to be...

Welcome to BlackBerry!
    Last edited by bounce007; 08-26-11 at 11:16 AM.
    ScoobyDoo555 likes this.
    08-26-11 11:11 AM

Wow, they won't let you Google at work? That's rough, man. And probably counter-productive. You have my sympathies. But, that's what smartphones are for!

As to security concerns for an Android player, I imagine the delays could very possibly be due to RIM polishing up this very issue. The PlayBook is going to be a hugely-important development environment for RIM to field-test QNX with. Getting the Android player (1) working, and (2) working smoothly in some sort of secure sandbox will ensure that it satisfies large customer needs for security and pave the way for QNX phones to support Android apps securely out of the box.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 08-27-11 at 03:07 PM.
    ScoobyDoo555 likes this.
    08-27-11 03:03 PM
    I like the fact that QNX, when I tested it on my netbook (didn't have a key at all), it booted within 4 seconds to the desktop. Ubuntu did 10. Windows did 45. (If someone could BT it, i'd be using it now ;P)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 04:02 PM
    There's a QNX OS for PC?

And to the OP: it's just another OS platform. No real "point" any more than the point of Windows, osx, Android, Chromium, Linux variants, etc.
    08-27-11 04:49 PM
    QNX Originally for the PC. Blackberry just bought it out and is optimizing it for their devices
    08-27-11 09:36 PM
    I am waiting for qnx and also waiting for them to work out the bugs with processors and batteries. I am still running extremely productive on os5. Os7 does not entrust me one bit because I loaded os6 on my bold and wasn't impressed.

I think on a touchscreen phone qnx will be an awesome os. Not to sure about a candybar style like the bold though.

We will see. Blackberrys main concern is security and productivity and I hope qnx keeps that with a phone os.
    08-27-11 10:06 PM
    Let me google that for you
    Operating Systems
    QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QNX is modular, making it smaller, more efficient, more stable, more versatile, just....MORE. It's been around since 1982 and runs everything from cars to Point-Of-Sale computers, cash registers, audio processors, etc... Android functionality will simply be an add-on, a modular micro-kernel. It is not the primary function of nor main raison d'�tre for QNX. So, yes, you've got it wrong.
    You can also add nuclear power plants, fighter planes, military tanks, corporate inventory, etc. To make it simple, you'll find QNX almost anywhere, even in the most demanding environments on the planet - it will be a major game-changer!
    rrrebo likes this.
    08-27-11 10:45 PM
    QNX Originally for the PC. Blackberry just bought it out and is optimizing it for their devices
    Can you download that and run it on a virtual machine like linux? Or is it super expensive?

Edit: nevermind. http://www.qnx.com/developers/articles/rel_4222_7.html
    08-27-11 10:47 PM
    Wow, they won't let you Google at work? That's rough, man. And probably counter-productive. You have my sympathies. But, that's what smartphones are for!

Should explain in a bit more depth..... WHEN I was searching for details, the IT department were installing a new firewall, and in its infancy, had blocked 99.9% of the internet

Hopefully sorted by Monday - I work in a College, so Google etc is pretty important.

But thanks for the info though - really useful. If this is the case, then I hope that RIM take the time to get it right. Milk OS7 for all they realistically can (without affecting sales too much) the BAMM!! QNX.......

We'll see eh?

DAn
    08-28-11 03:30 AM
    Gotcha, Scoob. Yeah, I can't wait for QNX!
    08-28-11 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD