That's a good point. I guess even though I linked my last post to a previous comment of mine on a separate thread, only xanadome really detailed some ideas out here.

Sorry to cut & paste, but below is what I had expected (and still hope) for QNX/BBX/Blackberry 10 to offer over OS7:

[From: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...6/#post6770119 ]

I don't see anything revolutionary there, nothing that can't be achieved with a few apps on current OS7 devices. You just want them all out of the box at no extra cost.
    12-17-11 03:15 AM
    You are comparing apples to oranges discussing BBOS (Java) versus QNX (Unix). Your naivety suggests a lack of understanding of QNX and the longevity the transition to this operating system offers smartphone users and tablet users under the BlackBerry logo. Seriously, BBOS 7.0 is really BBOS 6.1 or 6.2 and nothing revolutionary.

So then enlighten everyone and please explain some specific technical things BB 10/BBX/QNX will do that the current phones cannot, from a user perspective. Obviously the multitasking might be smoother based on what's been seen with the PlayBook. Ok. What else. Something that will make users want it? We know as "technically" capable as the PlayBook with QNX is, buyers mostly have not found that technical superiority a reason to choose it over a you know what.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 12-17-11 at 03:35 AM.
    12-17-11 03:30 AM
    I hope it will shock the market
    i agree, i hope the QNX will shock the US market and the world. I just hope that it be faster, and has a better UI than android an apple. and that it doesnt lag or show that small time thingy in the middle which could be so annoying sometimes
    12-17-11 03:54 AM
    i've already switched from my trusty curve to an iphone 4s and couldn't be happier. now i'm hoping my playbook will get full android OS support. i don't care about QNX at all when no one even wants to develop for it.
    So you went from a budget Blackberry to a high end Iphone 4s............
    12-17-11 04:05 AM
    I don't expect anything really. I buy BlackBerrys for the device 1st. The os is the plus factor. That being said I like the Rim os becausey of the file system and the layout.
    As long as exl. Works on qnx and we have a file system I'm ok.
    All I hear is there's no devs for BlackBerrys. Oh yes there is. They just don't spend time building useless apps. Most of the clients using BlackBerrys doesn't buy that junk. They want useful apps that make their work day easier and be able to still be connected at tbe same time while away from the office. A BlackBerry comes native with just about everything needed. Devs written apps for the Blackberrys for the fun factor but didn't go crazy with it.
    Put this in purspective. My daughter has an ipad2. She bought 3 apps which kindle was 1 of them. The rest of her buying has been books. That's a $500 kindle my friend.
    I bought my son a cruz tablet. This was right before PB dropped to $200. Android is suppose to have soooo many apps. Not. Nothing worth a damn. I mean we got him a cool app that can listen to part of a song and tell you the name and who plays it. That's cool I admit. 1000 piles of crap is still crap.
    12-17-11 06:37 AM
    I don't expect anything really. I buy BlackBerrys for the device 1st. The os is the plus factor. That being said I like the Rim os becausey of the file system and the layout.
    As long as exl. Works on qnx and we have a file system I'm ok.
    All I hear is there's no devs for BlackBerrys. Oh yes there is. They just don't spend time building useless apps. Most of the clients using BlackBerrys doesn't buy that junk. They want useful apps that make their work day easier and be able to still be connected at tbe same time while away from the office. A BlackBerry comes native with just about everything needed. Devs written apps for the Blackberrys for the fun factor but didn't go crazy with it.
    Put this in purspective. My daughter has an ipad2. She bought 3 apps which kindle was 1 of them. The rest of her buying has been books. That's a $500 kindle my friend.
    I bought my son a cruz tablet. This was right before PB dropped to $200. Android is suppose to have soooo many apps. Not. Nothing worth a damn. I mean we got him a cool app that can listen to part of a song and tell you the name and who plays it. That's cool I admit. 1000 piles of crap is still crap.
    Just because you can't find any apps that are "worth a damn" doesn't many plenty of other users can't.

And while you may not want to use any of the "useless apps" I'm sure there are plenty of users who do. I'm even sure some would want the serious, Git-Er-Done apps along with a game of Tetris or Street Fighter when they aren't doing business stuff.

Android does have soooooo many apps. Just because you didn't find any "useful" ones doesn't mean they aren't there.

Like it or not, people seem to want apps. And they seem to want a ton of them. And, they seem to want a ton of useless apps to go along with the useful ones.

War Is All We Know
    12-17-11 10:02 AM
    Just because you can't find any apps that are "worth a damn" doesn't many plenty of other users can't.

And while you may not want to use any of the "useless apps" I'm sure there are plenty of users who do. I'm even sure some would want the serious, Git-Er-Done apps along with a game of Tetris or Street Fighter when they aren't doing business stuff.

Android does have soooooo many apps. Just because you didn't find any "useful" ones doesn't mean they aren't there.

Like it or not, people seem to want apps. And they seem to want a ton of them. And, they seem to want a ton of useless apps to go along with the useful ones.

War Is All We Know
    Why do you feel the need to repete me? You just what I said but in "other words". That was my whole point. I'm not into the app craze. I'm not alone either.
    12-17-11 10:11 AM
    Why do you feel the need to repete me? You just what I said but in "other words". That was my whole point. I'm not into the app craze. I'm not alone either.
    Wait what is "repete"?
    12-17-11 12:50 PM
    Wait what is "repete"?
    That's funny. Repeat. Make ya feel better?
    12-17-11 02:18 PM
    If it weren't for the useless chips that RIM is waiting on, the phone could've came in early-mid 2012
    12-17-11 09:08 PM
    Well there's a difference between saying "I can't find anything useful to me in an Android market" vs "there aren't any useful, productive apps in the Android market." I seriously hope you don't tell people that the Android market is only full of non-productive apps because that is simply not true. This is spreading misinformation.

And he quoted you because you seem to have an absolutest attitude in that the Android market doesn't have any productive apps. This is far from the truth. Yes, they have a lot of apps that you would never use but they are created because there is a customer demand for them. This is like saying the BB app store only has 'corporate productive' apps and nothing non-productive for fun...which would keep that wonderful stereotype of Blackberry is only for white collar corporate employees so everyone else should steer clear.

Truth is the Android market has just as many 'productive' apps as the BB app market. I'm willing to bet that anything you 'need' your phone to do, Android has an app for it. Now whether it's natively included in the phone is a different subject.

Anyway, to show what I've done with my LG today...

Answered some emails, sent and received texts, played some Shadowgun on my TV using hdmi from phone to TV, browsed the net, edited a couple documents on Google docs, edited a spreadsheet using docs to go, price checked some prices using barcode scanner while shopping to see what the products were typically selling for in other stores locally, scanned some documents which then converted them to pdf files and emailed them off. I think that covers it. And, no, I haven't had to charge my phone yet.

All of the above using those 'useless' apps that some people seem to think that is in the Android market.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 12-18-11 at 01:12 PM.
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-18-11 12:54 PM
    More apps and thats maybe lol
    12-18-11 02:48 PM
    Nothing short of a miracle, whatever that is or whatever it takes .....I'm answering the original question
    12-18-11 02:53 PM
    Well there's a difference between saying "I can't find anything useful to me in an Android market" vs "there aren't any useful, productive apps in the Android market." I seriously hope you don't tell people that the Android market is only full of non-productive apps because that is simply not true. This is spreading misinformation.

And he quoted you because you seem to have an absolutest attitude in that the Android market doesn't have any productive apps. This is far from the truth. Yes, they have a lot of apps that you would never use but they are created because there is a customer demand for them. This is like saying the BB app store only has 'corporate productive' apps and nothing non-productive for fun...which would keep that wonderful stereotype of Blackberry is only for white collar corporate employees so everyone else should steer clear.

Truth is the Android market has just as many 'productive' apps as the BB app market. I'm willing to bet that anything you 'need' your phone to do, Android has an app for it. Now whether it's natively included in the phone is a different subject.

Anyway, to show what I've done with my LG today...

Answered some emails, sent and received texts, played some Shadowgun on my TV using hdmi from phone to TV, browsed the net, edited a couple documents on Google docs, edited a spreadsheet using docs to go, price checked some prices using barcode scanner while shopping to see what the products were typically selling for in other stores locally, scanned some documents which then converted them to pdf files and emailed them off. I think that covers it. And, no, I haven't had to charge my phone yet.

All of the above using those 'useless' apps that some people seem to think that is in the Android market.
    I like what you said. Matter of fact when I get back to desk top version I'm going to like your post. Don't take my response wrong.
    What's the difference in what I said and what others say when they say android or ips is better because they have 1000s of apps?
    Now I automaticly deduct from those statements the apps that all the platforms share and the ones that are utility and are used to do useful stuff. So back to my statement. Android market has 1000s of useless apps. Is that not true? Out of 100k apps you mean to tell there's not 1000s of useless apps?
    I've noticed a trend in iphone and android users. They can dish out the bashing but cry when somebody challenge them with a bit of realality. I've gone on record more to count I don't have a problem with the other platforms I just like blackberrys better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-11 03:31 PM
    I don't think it matters how good QNX may or may not be. It could be the king of all operating systems out there and people will still want/expect more.
    12-18-11 04:41 PM
    I like what you said. Matter of fact when I get back to desk top version I'm going to like your post. Don't take my response wrong.
    What's the difference in what I said and what others say when they say android or ips is better because they have 1000s of apps?
    Now I automaticly deduct from those statements the apps that all the platforms share and the ones that are utility and are used to do useful stuff. So back to my statement. Android market has 1000s of useless apps. Is that not true? Out of 100k apps you mean to tell there's not 1000s of useless apps?
    I've noticed a trend in iphone and android users. They can dish out the bashing but cry when somebody challenge them with a bit of realality. I've gone on record more to count I don't have a problem with the other platforms I just like blackberrys better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Rereading, I think my tone might have been a bit aggressive, I apologize.

And you are absolutely right. There are a lot of useless apps. And, of course, there are some apps you'd find useless that I find useful and visa-versa. I think that when you have a platform that has a larger amount of apps, you are going to find more apps that are discardable.
    12-18-11 05:09 PM
    Rereading, I think my tone might have been a bit aggressive, I apologize.

And you are absolutely right. There are a lot of useless apps. And, of course, there are some apps you'd find useless that I find useful and visa-versa. I think that when you have a platform that has a larger amount of apps, you are going to find more apps that are discardable.
    I didnt find you aggressive at all. Im trying not to be aggressive. which is real tricky cause we're in a BlackBerry forum flooded with people trying to "show us the light" and "save our soul". Its to the point we cant talk about something with having to defend blackberrys. It should be understood that when I says 1000s of useless apps that its my opinion and Im speaking solely for my sake.
    My defense is strickly to educate. I for one understand that people google products they intend to buy. well searching for an android or a blackberry will land them in alot of these threads. I just want it to be noted that blackberry is just as good. Somebody that doesnt know any better can get cought up in all this misinformation.
    12-18-11 06:31 PM
    Faster browser, sleek touch screen design( no trackpad), and strong developer support. If RIMM delivers, I won't hesitate to switch back over.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    12-18-11 06:39 PM
    Well from my understanding QNX will bring Blackberry on the same level as IOS, WP7, Android because the current OS is an old Java based system.

For one when I want to uninstall an app I have to restart? Why?
    QNX you don't, like with the competition you don't.

The blackberry bootup time takes forever!
    Hopefully be resolved with QNX. For example my WP7 phones takes 21 seconds while my Bold 9900 takes 2mins :/

QNX is a true multitasking operating system:

"BlackBerry Tablet OS is an operating system based on the QNX Neutrino real-time operating system designed to run Adobe AIR and BlackBerry WebWorks applications, currently targeting the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet computer.
    BlackBerry Tablet OS supports standard BlackBerry Java applications. Support for Android apps has also been announced, through sandbox "app players".[2][3]. A BlackBerry Tablet OS Native Development Kit, to develop native applications with the GNU toolchain is currently in closed beta testing. The first device to run BlackBerry Tablet OS was the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet computer.[4]
    A similar QNX-based operating system will replace the long-standing BlackBerry OS on handsets after version 7.[5]"

I think as it is Unix/Linux kernel based then it will be more future proof and better for developers and easier to port applications which is what drives the smartphones in the consumer market today, also I think the OS will be more stable without all the Java OS errors and bricking (well hopefully)
    01-03-12 09:42 AM
    Here's what I want to see:
    Super fast browsing with support for Flash.
    Slick UI like on the Playbook.
    Great camera.
    Wired or wireless HDMI to show content on a TV/monitor, DLNA support.
    Built in cloud services like BB Protect, but include 10GB free storage for docs etc.
    Support for the more than 10,000 current Playbook apps.
    Support for Android apps.
    Great looking up to date hardware.
    The traditional excellent BB messaging abilities.
    A built in GPS app with turn by turn notifications would be nice as well.
    Video conferencing solution that works with more than just other BB's.
    01-03-12 10:35 AM
    Here's what I want to see:
    Wired or wireless HDMI to show content on a TV/monitor, DLNA support.
    Having a phone that does have an HDMI out is really awesome. Hook my phone up to my TV, hook my wimote to my phone, and game away I go.
    01-03-12 11:20 AM
    i want the bb10 phones to drive my car for me and do my laundry.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-03-12 12:14 PM
    What I'm expecting from BB10 is Over the Air upgrades of the OS (like Playbook) and more apps. My 9900 doesn't leave me wanting for anything.

I'm also expecting BB10 to be late and buggy, but I'm not sure that's what the OP meant
    01-03-12 02:23 PM
    I would expect Qnx to have a solid developer base.
    I am expecting apps. ( and if there aren't any then it may be another failure - in terms of popularity )
    I would love a front facing camera because i actually use it...
    A simpler smoother Os with NO MAJOR BUGS
    And id like it to make me coffee in the morning
    01-03-12 03:38 PM
    I expect BB10 to give me a scaled down Playbook experience on a phone. And you know what? That's probably what we're going to get.

Edit: those of you with Playbooks know that, aside from poor sales, a scaled down Playbook with phone capabilities isn't a bad thing.
    01-03-12 03:42 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD