1) Change "... how capable a QNX device would be...." to "how capable a QNX device COULD be...." - all of this is entirely your own speculation and BB enthusiasm

2) Change "... QNX BB's will have the capability to run windows mobile 7, ios, and android ..." to "... QNX BB's will have the capability to run ANDROID ..." - RIM has only stated there will be an Android player, they've said nothing about iOS or Windows players that I'm aware of

Sorry, but while I appreciate your enthusiasm, stating your own conjecture, assumption and wishful thinking as fact can be misleading to those who are newer to Berries, these forum, and your posts.

- R.
    Advice appreciated...As I was only stating potential...Some may become confused with a presumption of all mentioned capable functionality coming to the platform.... I don't mind being corrected or guided!
    06-29-11 04:22 PM
    Cars often have touch screens for Navigation, Entertainment, etc. I've never seen a Qwerty keyboard in a car. :-). In a car touch screen has to work to be of any use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Plenty of cars don't use touch screens for their navigation. Those that do aren't using the same touch software that the BB tablet is using.
    06-29-11 04:36 PM
    Um, it was either Mike or Jim who said they would only put QNX on a dual core phone. Not the members of this forum. Check your facts.

- R.
    We should look this up. I believe the exact wording was more in line with QNX runs best on multicore and those chipsets are still new and inefficient and that they didn't see QNX happening until multi core was more accessible. Whatever statement was made it was not definitive and pretty open to interpretation.

Somewhere it got turned into "No QNX until Multicore!" Which I can assure you is not what was said.

MACKSnare519 likes this.
    06-29-11 04:38 PM
    Plenty of cars don't use touch screens for their navigation. Those that do aren't using the same touch software that the BB tablet is using.
    The point he is making is that QNX's GUI or GUI implementations are already touchscreen optimized/friendly. The code is easy to work with.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-29-11 at 04:42 PM.
    06-29-11 04:40 PM
    Actually, I believe it is BIS which truncates email. We don't know what RIM's QNX native email email client will look like yet, but if it depends on BIS we will still get truncated emails.
    This. Truncation is a factor of the noc and that all this data is flowing through RIMs systems. The OS on the device is basically a data receptacle. The governer is the noc

06-29-11 04:40 PM
    This. Truncation is a factor of the noc and that all this data is flowing through RIMs systems. The OS on the device is basically a data receptacle. The governer is the noc

So the thread I read about truncation where users said it doesn't happen to them while it happens to others was wrong when they determined it was due to carriers?
    06-29-11 04:43 PM
    So the thread I read about truncation where users said it doesn't happen to them while it happens to others was wrong when they determined it was due to carriers?
    KB03592-What is the maximum email message size when using a BlackBerry Internet Service account

About the carriers im not sure, i have to look into that, its either that they are able to shrink that limit (as data still has to go through them), or that its possible that they can choose which BIS version to use/deploy, and probably older versions carry a lower limit.
    Last edited by gbsn; 06-29-11 at 04:51 PM.
    06-29-11 04:47 PM
    The point he is making is that QNX's GUI or GUI implementations are already touchscreen optimized/friendly. The code is easy to work with.
    Thanks. Actually my cars are too old to have a touch screen. I'll upgrade my phone long before I replace the cars. However, when I do get a new car it still will not have a qwerty keyboard built into the dashboard. :-)

06-29-11 04:49 PM
    We should look this up. I believe the exact wording was more in line with QNX runs best on multicore and those chipsets are still new and inefficient and that they didn't see QNX happening until multi core was more accessible. Whatever statement was made it was not definitive and pretty open to interpretation.

Somewhere it got turned into "No QNX until Multicore!" Which I can assure you is not what was said.

Mike Lazaridis regarding QNX :

"Walt: How soon will it get into a smartphone?

Mike: As soon as I have dual core baseband CPUs."

Mike = Mike Lazaridis. Full transcript below :

Mike Lazaridis live at D: Dive Into Mobile (with the PlayBook!) -- Engadget

Pretty simple, pretty direct.

- R.
    06-29-11 04:50 PM
    I haven't read that so I can't be sure. It is possible that different carriers ask RIM to truncate at different sizes. More likely the users weren't getting large enough emails. Most emails don't get truncated. You have to start putting images to really trip the limits. Ad emails usually do this. Or say you have someone sending screenshots embedded in the body of the email. That would do it to.

Also BES may allow for different settings as well. I used to have 1 BES acct and 2 BIS Accts on my BB and I usually only noticed truncation on the BIS side. Of course that is were I directed any spam emails etc.

But it is not totally carrier because Android or iOS devices on same carrier won't have truncated email.

06-29-11 04:51 PM
    That makes sense.
    06-29-11 04:53 PM
    Mike Lazaridis regarding QNX :

"Walt: How soon will it get into a smartphone?

Mike: As soon as I have dual core baseband CPUs."

Mike = Mike Lazaridis. Full transcript below :

Mike Lazaridis live at D: Dive Into Mobile (with the PlayBook!) -- Engadget

Pretty simple, pretty direct.

- R.
    See. I told you to look it up. Proved your point! LOL.

What is interesting is that new rumors are saying they will utilize single cores. Will be interesting to see what happens.

06-29-11 04:56 PM
    Thanks everyone. I saw a few posts that really gave me a new perspective on what the QNX phones could be. I appreciate the help.

For now, I will grab a bold touch and in 2 years, a QNX device. Thanks everyone!!!!
    Truth be told....not one person can really say what they will produce with QNX! From history it won't be enough.....but at the same time lets hope things change around here!
    06-29-11 07:35 PM
    here is the QNX definition from Wikipedia. What seems to be really cool is "turning off" certain "Servers" within the OS so you are not wasting any power. Even though I do not understand every bit of this, it seems really cool

As a microkernel-based OS, QNX is based on the idea of running most of the OS in the form of a number of small tasks, known as servers. This differs from the more traditional monolithic kernel, in which the operating system is a single very large program composed of a huge number of "parts" with special abilities. In the case of QNX, the use of a microkernel allows users (developers) to turn off any functionality they do not require without having to change the OS itself; instead, those servers are simply not run.

The system is quite small, with earlier versions fitting on a single floppy disk.[1]

QNX Neutrino (2001) has been ported to a number of platforms and now runs on practically any modern CPU that is used in the embedded market. This includes the PowerPC, x86 family, MIPS, SH-4 and the closely related family of ARM, StrongARM and XScale CPUs.
    larry5332 likes this.
    06-29-11 08:11 PM
    Something else cool is that QNX programs can tell the OS how much memory they need and the kernel assigns that memory to the app in its own silo. So if the app starts to consume too much memory it can't pull resources from other apps. The 2 things that are good there us that the OS doesn't consume CPU cycles figuring out how much memory to allocate to a process and 1 bad process can't pull down the OS. Memory allocation costs most OS's about 20% of their processing. So QNX gets about 1.2 ghz of processing out of a 1 ghz CPU.

06-29-11 08:58 PM
    They don't have to have a crazy fast turnaround. They have to release quality phones that will have support for a couple years! That's the biggest problem, as nice as the 9930 looks, a lot of people are on the fence about getting it because it could be a dead end device. Iphone and Droids receive software upgrades well into there 2nd year of running. Look at iphone 4. They will pick up iOS5. Thats huge! Not feeling like an upgrade is always needed! In a weird way BB has gotten to the point where people are so worried about the phone being behind on tech and not being supported that they wait even longer for the next best thing. Other platforms, esp iOS, that doesn't seem to be the case!
    A F***ING MEN . im still on my 9530 which i adopted 2.5 yrs ago. my 4th 9530 and i have recieved one software update from verizon about 2 yrs ago. still pushing 5.0.0.328 R U JOKING ME?!?!

06-30-11 01:12 PM
    A F***ING MEN . im still on my 9530 which i adopted 2.5 yrs ago. my 4th 9530 and i have recieved one software update from verizon about 2 yrs ago. still pushing 5.0.0.328 R U JOKING ME?!?!

I am in the exact same boat.
    06-30-11 01:16 PM
    I'm not sure how similar QNX phone OS will be to Blackberry tablet OS but I'm guessing the playbook is a hint at what QNX phones will be like. If QNX can overcome the app size limits in the current BBOS, I think that would be a huge plus. If QNX phones could get apps like angrybirds and swype than that would send a huge message to consumers and other developers that RIM is progressing in the right direction.

And the Android player wouldn't hurt.
    Last edited by blue81to; 06-30-11 at 03:41 PM. Reason: one more thing
    06-30-11 03:37 PM
    I'd sooner have my phone work properly with a good older OS than get a newer OS that is too much for it so it lags more etc.

I understand the storm owners who seem to have never gotten an OS that works right.
    06-30-11 03:39 PM
    I'd sooner have my phone work properly with a good older OS than get a newer OS that is too much for it so it lags more etc.

I understand the storm owners who seem to have never gotten an OS that works right.
    Thats just it though......the os is crap! Right now I am looking at my 9650 that is about 1 year old and its freezing up and the clock is spinning. What a joke! Honestly if the iphone 5 was out I would be upgrading as we speak. I honestly don't think anything will change with RIM. When you could do one year contracts it worked with BB. After one year the phone(in my case anyways) is shot. Runs slow, freezes up, keyboard has hardly any paint left! Last has nothing to do with os sorry had to throw it in there! And sad thing is os7 won't be any better.....
    06-30-11 06:38 PM
    Thats just it though......the os is crap! Right now I am looking at my 9650 that is about 1 year old and its freezing up and the clock is spinning. What a joke! Honestly if the iphone 5 was out I would be upgrading as we speak. I honestly don't think anything will change with RIM. When you could do one year contracts it worked with BB. After one year the phone(in my case anyways) is shot. Runs slow, freezes up, keyboard has hardly any paint left! Last has nothing to do with os sorry had to throw it in there! And sad thing is os7 won't be any better.....
    Humm, I've the same thing said about android devices.... throw them away as they are junk before a year is up. I think some is user error on both.

What OS are you running on your phone? I honestly don't think the 9650 was meant to run OS6 even though they did put out an upgrade to it, as my first statement eluded to. How many apps do you have open constantly running in the background? My crappy tour does have the hourglass sometimes but it doesn't stay that long. My next gen core i7 laptop gives me the spinning circle when opening things.

Sounds like you just need to get something else you'll be happy with. Hope you find it.
    06-30-11 07:11 PM
    its probably from all the apps you download and dont use, on any phone os.
    06-30-11 07:14 PM
    Humm, I've the same thing said about android devices.... throw them away as they are junk before a year is up. I think some is user error on both.

What OS are you running on your phone? I honestly don't think the 9650 was meant to run OS6 even though they did put out an upgrade to it, as my first statement eluded to. How many apps do you have open constantly running in the background? My crappy tour does have the hourglass sometimes but it doesn't stay that long. My next gen core i7 laptop gives me the spinning circle when opening things.

Sounds like you just need to get something else you'll be happy with. Hope you find it.
    Yes the 9650 was meant for os6. it was the 9700 that wasn't. I actually barely use any apps because they are all so **** slow!! Honestly that is what is frustrating and I don't think I speak for just myself. So many people really like the form factor of the 9650. 9900 being almost perfect for texting and messaging. If RIM would have been on top their game could have an os like apple or andoid with great app selection and top of the line tech and still have the great form factor. Now imo, its either have a great kb and basically have a messaging phone or get a fast top of the line phone like the iphone or top droids but have to give up the kb. And I think in the long run it will hurt them. I wonder how many people get so frustrated with the os6 and I am assuming os7 will only be a little better, that finally just go to another platform. After going they realize they don't need the BB kb and never look back??? So yes because RIM fell so far behind I am torn..... oh and if you can explain what my user error could be to cause this phone to run so slow I would love to hear it??? Way too many people make excuses for RIM laziness!! Oh and if the iphone 5 was out I would be trying it right now and that just shouldn't be. If RIM did there job I wouldn't need to look elsewhere!!
    Last edited by jebulls; 06-30-11 at 07:43 PM.
    06-30-11 07:27 PM
    its probably from all the apps you download and dont use, on any phone os.
    What apps???? very few worth downloading with BB!! I guess if one weather app and socialscope would cause this then you got me.....
    06-30-11 07:29 PM
    Yes the 9650 was meant for os6. it was the 9700 that wasn't. I actually barely use any apps because they are all so **** slow!! Honestly that is what is frustrating and I don't think I speak for just myself. So many people really like the form factor of the 9650. 9900 being almost perfect for texting and messaging. If RIM would have been on top their game could have an os like apple or andoid with great app selection and top of the line tech and still have the great form factor. Now imo, its either have a great kb and basically have a messaging phone or get a fast top of the line phone like the iphone or top droids but have to give up the kb. And I think in the long run it will hurt them. I wonder how many people get so frustrated with the os6 and I am assuming os7 will only be a little better, that finally just go to another platform. After going they realize they don't need the BB kb and never look back??? So yes because RIM fell so far behind I am torn..... oh and if you can explain what my user error could be to cause this phone to run so slow I would love to hear it??? Way too many people make excuses for RIM laziness!!
    You're right, I've never seen any post on here about anyone liking their 9650. I guess they are just RIM drones.

I do understand your frustration. You may not have user error but many on here do as they install apps that aren't meant for their phone, some themes absolutely are horrible and even crash your phone. They fill their phone up with too many apps and crap apps etc.

I'm not making excuses (not intentionally anyway) as maybe I just expect less or don't care about some of the fancy things and my phone really doesn't lag or spin all that much. Like I said my computer has lag or the spinning arrow at times.

Good luck in finding what works for you.

Not looking for an excuse but have read this thread and tried it? It may also work for your bold.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/i-...roblem-611882/
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-30-11 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add link
    06-30-11 07:47 PM
113 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD