So I know this is stretching a bit but could it be possible to make QNX into a full OS for computers? Does anyone know if it would be possible?.. I realize blackberry would probably never do this but QNX seems so solid I think it. Would convert nicely.
    02-09-12 10:14 AM
    Very very possible.
    Bb + qnx + intel = greatest bb ever for me in 3 years
    02-09-12 10:19 AM
    That's where QNX started. There still lots of people who run it as a desktop OS, or run it inside of VMWare.
    02-09-12 10:20 AM
    QNX IS a computer OS, it can be ran on numbers of different processor architectures. sorry to bust your bubble but ONX linux was designed for real time applications and it sucks major balls for your day to day personal use on a PC. i would recommend you to try freeBSD if you want that linux experience, it blows QNX out of the water.
    02-09-12 10:20 AM
    Very very possible.
    Bb + qnx + intel = greatest bb ever for me in 3 years
    the intel your referring to is NOT a mobile architecture, which means it is not optimized for mobile use. do some research and you'll know why your combo wont work
    02-09-12 10:24 AM
    OK thanks for the responses! I should have done my research lol.. But that's what I wanted to know.. What I was getting at was I wish RIM could make it run as smooth as it does on the playbook and bring that around to a PC... Bring out nice looking hardware and you have something like apple where people feel good using something that is more specialized.
    02-09-12 10:27 AM
    Just give it the LCARS look and it's on
    02-09-12 11:10 AM
    Eventually it will have to be able ot run on computers. If not that, other devices for sure.

Same way Android is being put on laptops now. All these different OS's on smartphones are like how OS's on desktop computers were back in the 80s.
    02-09-12 04:41 PM
    Eventually it will have to be able ot run on computers. If not that, other devices for sure.

Same way Android is being put on laptops now. All these different OS's on smartphones are like how OS's on desktop computers were back in the 80s.
    It already does run on 'computers'
    02-09-12 04:44 PM
    Most people don't own touchscreen computers so they would have to adapt some sort of way to use it without gestures or a touchscreen.
    02-09-12 05:14 PM
    the intel your referring to is NOT a mobile architecture, which means it is not optimized for mobile use. do some research and you'll know why your combo wont work
    oh really???????

save this message and notify me again in 3 years. let's see who needs to do more research
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    02-09-12 08:08 PM
    oh really???????

save this message and notify me again in 3 years. let's see who needs to do more research

I'll save you 3 years.

Intel® Mobile Phone Platforms
    gjohnsto likes this.
    02-09-12 08:17 PM
    People seem to be missing the fact that QNX is not a shrunk/sole mobile OS... Pure QNX neutrino already runs on laptop and desktop computers, easily. That they will make the playbook OS USB HID friendly, or should i say "desktop" peripherals and drivers friendly, is a different thing, though it already accepts BT mouses and keyboards. The only problem i see is that it will be a very small niche, considering QNX has been out for a lot of years already and never caught on to the desktop computers market, or even the server market despite its pure "microkernel advantages" many people seem to praise, i guess it could launch as a competition to chromebooks =). And again, for the 100000000th time, QNX is not linux....
    Last edited by gbsn; 02-10-12 at 12:25 AM.
    02-10-12 12:23 AM
    So I know this is stretching a bit but could it be possible to make QNX into a full OS for computers? Does anyone know if it would be possible?.. I realize blackberry would probably never do this but QNX seems so solid I think it. Would convert nicely.
    And why not I say.

Look at ubuntu and others like it - they are Linux OS for the Desktop. Mac OS, I think, is built on a similar thing.

I think QNX has a Linux Kernel (or is it UNIX) - this would absolutely translate into a Desktop OS.

PLUS - a lot of the www runs on QNX.
    02-10-12 07:37 AM
    As i said all along this is 2012 and qnx on a desktop device should not be ruled out.

In this case i am just amazed to think of a berry phone with qnx + intel.
    In sheer awesomeness this superphone (an understatement) would easily surpass what the iphone4 was in 2010.
    02-10-12 09:17 AM
    What many fail to realize is that QNX on mobile devices, is actually relative to capabilites and performance of OSX, Windows 7, Ubuntu etc...We have a Desktop capable OS running in a mobile device.....
    02-10-12 10:37 AM
    QNX runs just fine on a PC as well as in VMware and Virtualbox. Unlike its cousin Linux though, it isn't free. A 30-day evaluation copy is available for the curious.
    02-10-12 11:57 AM
    What many fail to realize is that QNX on mobile devices, is actually relative to capabilites and performance of OSX, Windows 7, Ubuntu etc...We have a Desktop capable OS running in a mobile device.....
    yeah thats what I thought as well!
    02-13-12 09:16 PM
    I am very familiar with QNX as I have used it on industrial robots for the past 10 years. QNX is not Linux.
    Some linux applications can be compiled to run on QNX.
    QNX is a "hard realtime" unix based microkernel OS.
    It is very easy to strip down the OS to just the bare minimum drivers necessary to run on many embedded platforms.
    It has some tools similar to Linux and other Unix based operating systems.
    It has been used in medical imaging, industrial automation, automobile entertainment displays, even the on the space shuttle. It is running inside the OnStar mirror which you can add to any car. There was an older Compaq PDA called the iPaq which could run QNX.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-29-12 12:36 AM
    ...yes, and it is also capable of running the supercomputers on the mother ship too. Must you really insist that QNX is the supreme OS achievement as an answer to any vaguely tech related question? There are reasons RIM got it on the cheap so to speak and none of the big companies that suck up companies just for the patents bothered to go after it. You really do not get cheerleading or brownie points. Your phone is a small computer but it is hardly the same level of complexity as a full blown desktop machine
    03-29-12 01:01 AM
    ...yes, and it is also capable of running the supercomputers on the mother ship too. Must you really insist that QNX is the supreme OS achievement as an answer to any vaguely tech related question? There are reasons RIM got it on the cheap so to speak and none of the big companies that suck up companies just for the patents bothered to go after it. You really do not get cheerleading or brownie points. Your phone is a small computer but it is hardly the same level of complexity as a full blown desktop machine
    What do you mean on the cheap? What did RIM pay for QNX anyway? I can't find anything only that they were purchased from Harmon Int.

Maybe you are referring to your phone
    What an OS does is communicate (message handler) between the hardware the application the user and devices. Something QNX is already able to do. Please tell me what aspect of computing QNX is lacking?
    03-29-12 11:18 AM
    It could be. And would work nicely. But RIM is too slow to execute anything like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4
    03-29-12 11:44 AM
    That's another reason why rim has floppped... Cus they only deal in mobile solutions... They have no music players... Tvs... Laptops ... Their earnings would be better if they had selection

--------------------------------

"...The Lord Painted The Great Picture Of The World.. Forget This Picture, And Remember The One Painter..."
    03-29-12 11:50 AM
    That's another reason why rim has floppped... Cus they only deal in mobile solutions... They have no music players... Tvs... Laptops ... Their earnings would be better if they had selection

"...The Lord Painted The Great Picture Of The World.. Forget This Picture, And Remember The One Painter..."
    HTC does not make anything except mobile phones and tablets, and it is successful. Lack of diversification does not always matter.
    03-29-12 12:01 PM
    HTC does not make anything except mobile phones and tablets, and it is successful. Lack of diversification does not always matter.

HTC make what we call good solid phones.. And I believe beats audio is majority owned by htc... Which is used as sound card chips in HP laptops etc.. That's why they are gettin somewhere.. Now with the devices they've released they are going about it the right way... People complained about htc phones being crap and they responded.. People have been complaining about bb for ages and Still they disappoint...diversification may not matter right now but give it a few years everyone will start copying each other and try and get into new markets either by merging or trying it themselves and buying companies... Sole aim is to make profit you need more than just mobile to survive... Just look at apple they got billions spare yet they still keep pushing to make new things like the speculated iTV

Last edited by mervinking; 03-29-12 at 12:15 PM.
    03-29-12 12:09 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD