I am not sure how RIM is going to be able to create an umbrella UI that is going to appeal to both current BB users and make inroads in the consumer market. After speaking with a user in another forum, who was firmly entrenched in the look and feel of BB OS. And there is nothing wrong with that. It has me wondering how will they accomplish this?

It is my opinnion that maybe RIM shouldn't try to make a single UI. RIM should provide 2 UIs. Make QNX be about choice. Who ever buys a phone can choose which UI they want, and can change their mind OR just target one UI to the consumer market specifically.

Both have the same OS, security, APIs and features, just skinned differently and have a different user experience. Make a great "BB OS" QNX UI, with the experience that people like. And give TAT a chance to make a consumer focused UI and experience. Alot of people want to see a TAT BB or at least TAT in BB, why not give them this opportunity. TAT still has name recognition for many people which combining with QNX could be a winning combination. Instead of trying to please everyone and end up not. This seems like the best root for them to take.

RIM could also put the consumer device on a 6 month cycle and commit themselves to it. This would be an opportunity to launch an updated spec device, which would make it harder for bloggers to say the device is always out of date. It could also have an updated or new UI at the mid year. This gives RIM 2 launches a year. And kind of follows a tick tock cycle.

This would also mean a new device near holiday season and instead of just reducing the price of the set later in the year to make more sales, they get a new regular priced device out in the market; though specials always sell. By comitting to this 6 month cycle you catch more people coming off contract with a modern device, and you don't have as many people wondering how long till a new device. Not spamming a device a week like Android also means BB can provide a high quality refresh as they would have the time to make sure the Harware and updated UI work well.

Doesn't QNX allow for quickly updating hardware anyways?

What are your thoughts?
    01itr likes this.
    08-11-11 12:53 PM
    Who knows what they'll do. They could offer traditional BB phones for business and QNX for consumers/business. That way they can offer the incremental updates and dependability for business (OS7 etc) and really punch it with QNX. I just doubt that they have the people needed to support both.

QNX will be able to keep pace with as many cores as manufacturers can stuff onto silicone.

I just can't wait to see what the guys from TAT bring to RIM. I hope that TV media centre "Cyclone" will be fully loaded with TAT goodness! That might show us what to expect from QNX phones???
    08-11-11 01:30 PM
    Good idea. I like this!
    Huot likes this.
    08-11-11 02:09 PM
    Having a choice between two UIs would be cool if done right. First they gotta focus on making QNX phones for consumers and business with one UI. Like 3 new devices: Torch, Bold and Torch slider. But this time, QNX versions. I expect them to come out in late 2012....in time for christmas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 07:55 PM
    They could make it like Windows did and have a classic view of the OS for those that didn't want to learn a new UI.
    08-11-11 08:21 PM
    It's an interesting idea. However I don't see too much difference between the functionality of BBOS7 on the 9850/60 and TabletOS. You browse through apps and switch between app categories the same way on both OS's. The big difference is the use of "cards" when going into multitasking view. I could see them keeping the Blackberry buttons, press the menu and the options drop, hold down to move the apps into card state. Allow gestures to be turned off for people who don't want them.
    08-12-11 09:56 AM
    It's an interesting idea. However I don't see too much difference between the functionality of BBOS7 on the 9850/60 and TabletOS. You browse through apps and switch between app categories the same way on both OS's. The big difference is the use of "cards" when going into multitasking view. I could see them keeping the Blackberry buttons, press the menu and the options drop, hold down to move the apps into card state. Allow gestures to be turned off for people who don't want them.
    I agree, outside of the differences you named I honestly don't see a huge difference overall between what the PlayBook is running and what the new phones are running.
    08-12-11 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD