I know this has been discussed to death, but here's my take on the issue. Straight from my blog.

I’m sure people are extremely excited about all the new BlackBerries that have been leaked as of late. I know I certainly am. What’s interesting, though, is that the same sentiment seems to be echoed all over the web: these devices are just too little, too late. This is one common topic that keeps popping up all over online forums on a daily basis. I am frequently reading about how some people will stick it out with BlackBerry no matter what, while others can’t take it anymore and are jumping ship to Android or iPhone. Generally, these heated debates seem to be about how these devices won’t be coming out for 6 to 8 months, and that by then, other phones will have specs that put these to shame (eg: iPhone and Android). Kevin from Crackberry made an excellent point in a recent podcast this week, where he stated that back in 2008 he predicted that we would get a touch screen Curve and Bold by 2009. It is now 2011 and we are still over half a year a way from any such devices. As member 67Tucker from the Crackberry forums put it,

“Fast forward to 2011 and everything that RIM does from this point appears to be reactive, and not proactive.”

I’m very excited to get the Monaco personally I think that will be a fantastic device, but I have to say, I do agree with these sentiments.

One thing we are told, however, is that RIM is waiting for dual core processors and good battery life before they can use QNX on mobile platforms. Do you guys believe this? I feel like they are trying to pretend and really these 1.2GHz single core flagship models will be upgradeable to QNX in the future via Desktop Manager. Is this just wishful thinking? Has RIM ever said one thing and done another to throw off the competition? Honestly, I’m quite sure these new devices are capable of running QNX, as they are quite powerful.

If these next generation devices can’t run QNX, and we are waiting 8 months for them, how long will it be before we can even see dual core BlackBerries that can run it? I’m assuming that it could easily be 1.5 years or more. Just thinking about what other devices may be out at that time makes me sad. Even so, I still find myself favoring my BlackBerry over any other device, and I don’t expect that to change any time soon.

Comments?
    02-28-11 02:21 PM
    lmfao! they quoted tucker! he is famous

on this i actually agree with him though. RIM is kinda in the middle, the new BBs are still reactive at this point in both hardware and OS 6.1. Now if they can get QNX on a phone within a year from now they have a chance to be a little more proactive for once IMO. Its true other manufacturers will have advanced also but i would say that QNX and the hardware supporting it will be on par with other devices if not better. They still need to improve BIS a TON though to really be great
    02-28-11 02:27 PM
    they cant even confirm when playbook is so qnx is dreamworld material pal
    02-28-11 03:07 PM
    in my view it's a tight race..

RIM QNX BlackBerry versus **** freezing over.

too close to call....
    1812dave and Setanta like this.
    02-28-11 03:09 PM
    June 13, 2012. There, now you know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-11 03:37 PM
    Good Article and I enjoyed reading your blog posts Kal. I really hope RIM speeds up the process. I think for the loyal blackberry users the 6.1 will be a stop over. I honestly don't think that RIM should put out 6.1 as a stop over. It's time to reinvent, restrategize their plans. QNX should come out later this year on a dual core smartphone with HD display do a max of 3 phones. 1 full touch screen, 1 combo such a slider and one form such as the Bold touch with the great keyboard. The bold touch may not need a dual core processor but at least bring one high end phone and 2 middle of the line phones. That way you have something for everyone. The QNX system with access to android apps or at least a way for developers to easily put the their apps onto a blackberry.
    03-04-11 03:56 PM
    Hahahahah. I can't believe I just read that!
    03-04-11 04:01 PM

on this i actually agree with him though. RIM is kinda in the middle, the new BBs are still reactive at this point in both hardware and OS 6.1. Now if they can get QNX on a phone within a year from now they have a chance to be a little more proactive for once IMO. Its true other manufacturers will have advanced also but i would say that QNX and the hardware supporting it will be on par with other devices if not better. They still need to improve BIS a TON though to really be great
    Do NOTE the Blog post IS from the OP who is a member here, it's hardly making Tucker famous it would be like anyone of us making a blog, then coming to crackberry and making threads to draw traffic, ( at least 3 topics I have seen recently)
    Jake Storm likes this.
    03-04-11 04:13 PM
    A QNX based blackberry would be pretty sweet. Personally though I don't see it happening any time soon since OS 6.0 just came out.
    03-04-11 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD