RIM needs to bring these things to the table, right from the word go:

1. Model range made-up of the QNX Bold, QNX Torch, and QNX Curve;

2. QNX Bold will be the ultimate messaging device, instead of replacing the Bold 9900/9930, it will be the successor of the Torch 9810, albeit with a horizontal slider-keyboard on par with that of the Bold 9900 series;

3. All QNX phone-ranges must have a minimum of 4.1" Super Amoled/qHD touchscreens, Dual-core 1.8Ghz processors, 1GB+ RAM, and 16GB internal memory (capable of storing apps, emails, sms, contacts, memo's, media, etc.);

4. The QNX Torch series will then become the iPhone/Android beaters of RIM's portfolio, continuously pushing the envelope within the mobile phone space, and making FULL USE of the QNX platform and Blackberry functionalities [4.3"+ Super Amoled/qHD ALL-touchscreens (no keyboard or physical buttons), Playbook gestures, Quad-core 1.8Ghz processors, 2GB+ RAM, and 64GB internal memory];

5. Updated notifications system, leveraging the superb BBOS system to create a truly updated and class-leading solution, bringing-in iOS5, Android and WebOS style features (especially actionable pop-up notifications accross all apps in-use);

6. ALL phone-ranges will need to be thinner, lighter and far better designed than ever before. The OS7 devices are on the right track, but RIM needs to far exceed this to get the attention of the consumer market (Take a page from Samsung and HTC);

7. Launch globally. If not simultaneously, then The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, and MENA, should all have the devices within 2 weeks of the first market. Do not rely on established OECD markets with a heavy bias toward iOS and Android devices. Reviews may be made to simply throw your customers off the very idea of buying the new QNXmobiles; know your client, your market and where the true growth is. Follow the model of the brilliantly-worked OS7 roll-out;

8. Lastly, perfect the Android app-player for QNX mobiles, release the native SDK for the phones FAR BEFORE the release date of the first QNXmobile devices, and do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to bring-in the very best app developers out there. At least the 5,000 top selling/downloaded apps from across the ecosystems (IE: iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows Phone, and Symbian/MeeGo), should be available for the first QNXmobiles, FROM LAUNCH;

Do all these with a re-focused management team, marketing that at least meets the standards of HTC, APPLE, and Samsung, and commit fully to the QNXmobile project (whilst keeping loyal consumer and business fans and clients fully on-board throughout), and RIM, you will have a seriously outperforming device lineup with sales exceeding anything the market watchers are giving you hope for.

Heres to hoping RIM, the Crackberry Nation, and all the new budding QNXmobile fans of the (very) near future, can bring a vision of this type to fruition.

Roll-on 2012......
    Last edited by visceralberry; 08-24-11 at 02:57 PM. Reason: *keyboard comparison to 9900 is to do with quality, rather than orientation (portrait vs. landscape)
    08-24-11 02:00 PM
    put out minimum 4.1" and 4.3" screens and I look elsewhere for a phone. Only so much room in my pockets and for a big screen I have a PlayBook.

The 9900 is too wide for me (why i never upgraded to the 9000 and stayed with the 8900), and the 9850/60 is about max on length.
    08-24-11 02:12 PM
    One can hope, but honestly... Really honestly... I doubt it.

It could be everything you say, but RIM just isn't that good at marketing to trouble - say - Apple.

Betamax was technically better than VHS.
    British Satellite Broadcasting was technically better than Sky.
    Concord was technically better than the Jumbo.

And in many other examples. The sexier marketer always beats the feature-rich!

RIM could produce the most perfect QNX device imaginable and wow the critics, but Joe-public will think "Meh! It doesn't have that nice logo on the back I was looking for..."
    08-24-11 02:17 PM
    The current plan is to only release one touch screen qnx phone, while continuing to support BBOS7 for a while. Transition to all qnx phones will take some time.

PB serves as the forerunner to qnx phone. Things like core apps, native sdk, android player etc that are made for PB will be ported over for qnx phone and will be available at launch.

3rd party apps can be probably repackaged quickly optimized for smaller screen. Unlike the iphone to ipad transition, where apps were made for smaller screen and slower gpu so all apps worked on ipad and repacking was required to enhance the app, this transition is opposite going from bigger screen to smaller, but hopefully the cpu/gpu is atleast as powerful as pb otherwise there will be issues with laggy apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 02:32 PM
    A 4.1 inch screen with a 9900 keyboard would be a monstrosity. It would be like an opened 9800, but with a 30% bigger (mostly taller) screen and bigger keyboard. It would be pushing close to 7 inches in height.

Not something I would carry.
    08-24-11 02:44 PM
    A 4.1 inch screen with a 9900 keyboard would be a monstrosity. It would be like an opened 9800, but with a 30% bigger (mostly taller) screen and bigger keyboard. It would be pushing close to 7 inches in height.

Not something I would carry.
    Well, from what I wrote initially, you'll notice I said the keyboard should be 'on par with' rather that exactly the same as, the 9900's keyboard. I'll edit it now to make it clearer, but what I was suggesting is to transition into horizontal, slider-keyboards...

The 2.8" screen (touch or not), is just not going to cut it in the QNX environment, especially if we're hoping for mass adoption of the new platform to allow RIM compete with Apple, Android, et al...
    08-24-11 02:55 PM
    I'd probably get stoned for saying this.

But bring on the 4.3" with slider keyboard

*ducks*
    visceralberry likes this.
    08-24-11 03:10 PM
    put out minimum 4.1" and 4.3" screens and I look elsewhere for a phone. Only so much room in my pockets and for a big screen I have a PlayBook.

+1 I have absolutely no interest in a phone with a 4" or larger screen. The Day BB ditches it's iconic REASONABLY sized candybar phone is the day I ditch Blackberry.
    08-24-11 03:19 PM

nope only 1 model - Colt (at first)
    2. QNX Bold will be the ultimate messaging device, instead of replacing the Bold 9900/9930, it will be the successor of the Torch 9810, albeit with a horizontal slider-keyboard on par with that of the Bold 9900 series;
    Nope.. full touch screen only (at first)
    3. All QNX phone-ranges must have a minimum of 4.1" Super Amoled/qHD touchscreens, Dual-core 1.8Ghz processors, 1GB+ RAM, and 16GB internal memory (capable of storing apps, emails, sms, contacts, memo's, media, etc.);
    No size specs.. but it will be a single core phone
    4. The QNX Torch series will then become the iPhone/Android beaters of RIM's portfolio, continuously pushing the envelope within the mobile phone space, and making FULL USE of the QNX platform and Blackberry functionalities [4.3"+ Super Amoled/qHD ALL-touchscreens (no keyboard or physical buttons), Playbook gestures, Quad-core 1.8Ghz processors, 2GB+ RAM, and 64GB internal memory];
    Quad core = 3 min talk time... look at the thunderbolt, it cant get through a half a day with some use!
    5. Updated notifications system, leveraging the superb BBOS system to create a truly updated and class-leading solution, bringing-in iOS5, Android and WebOS style features (especially actionable pop-up notifications accross all apps in-use);
    Sounds like a future lawsuit...
    6. ALL phone-ranges will need to be thinner, lighter and far better designed than ever before. The OS7 devices are on the right track, but RIM needs to far exceed this to get the attention of the consumer market (Take a page from Samsung and HTC);
    thinner is not better....
    7. Launch globally. If not simultaneously, then The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, and MENA, should all have the devices within 2 weeks of the first market. Do not rely on established OECD markets with a heavy bias toward iOS and Android devices. Reviews may be made to simply throw your customers off the very idea of buying the new QNXmobiles; know your client, your market and where the true growth is. Follow the model of the brilliantly-worked OS7 roll-out;
    its up to the carrier (for the most part) for the launch date...
    8. Lastly, perfect the Android app-player for QNX mobiles, release the native SDK for the phones FAR BEFORE the release date of the first QNXmobile devices, and do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to bring-in the very best app developers out there. At least the 5,000 top selling/downloaded apps from across the ecosystems (IE: iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows Phone, and Symbian/MeeGo), should be available for the first QNXmobiles, FROM LAUNCH;
    THIS is supposedly on track.. the QNX phone will have the player from launch.

Do all these with a re-focused management team, marketing that at least meets the standards of HTC, APPLE, and Samsung, and commit fully to the QNXmobile project (whilst keeping loyal consumer and business fans and clients fully on-board throughout), and RIM, you will have a seriously outperforming device lineup with sales exceeding anything the market watchers are giving you hope for.

Heres to hoping RIM, the Crackberry Nation, and all the new budding QNXmobile fans of the (very) near future, can bring a vision of this type to fruition.

Roll-on 2012......
    i have hight hopes for the QNX device.... but .... my guess is it gets delayed till Q2 2012 if not Q3
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-24-11 03:27 PM
    +1 I have absolutely no interest in a phone with a 4" or larger screen. The Day BB ditches it's iconic REASONABLY sized candybar phone is the day I ditch Blackberry.
    I can understand the initial reaction, but think about it, how many *new* BB customers will go specifically for the old form-factor if the 9000/9700/9780 didn't do it for them?

I'd be all for RIM supporting the 9900 series going forward, and even porting QNXmobile-lite to the phone. This will keep alot of old-school Crackberry fans very happy (myself included), but will not in any way jeopardise the QNXmobile push, or alienate the potential newcomers to the Blackberry platform.

The 9900 hardware is near-on perfect for the form factor, and it'll look and perform great in the months and years to come. Hopefully even running QNX...
    Last edited by visceralberry; 08-24-11 at 03:30 PM. Reason: * The 9900 hardware is near-on perfect for the form factor...
    08-24-11 03:27 PM
    4:3 or 16:9 screen format would affect the hand ergonomics immensely for a 4.1" or 4.3" diagonal... My wish is 16:9
    08-24-11 03:39 PM
    What the world needs now, is another battery-draining, over-spec'd horizontal slider! There's no accounting for taste, but I have never found a horizontal slider I liked. How many cores, will the tech media reviewers insist on, by the time the QNX's are out? Even though I've heard a lot about how misleading this coring up is, in that it depends on the architecture of the device, etc., and more core isn't usually justified because of battery concerns, after the unrelenting pounding RIM has taken over its underwhelming specs in the old phones, they have to play, somewhat, to that crowd.
    08-24-11 03:50 PM
    I believe you are the very reason for the development of the 9900. i doubt they will ditchthe candybar any time soon.

It just may be that wih the new QNX phones the bold equivalent will not be the flagship, as it is now.
    08-24-11 04:27 PM
    Minimum specs:
    1Ghz dual-core cpu (like pb)
    1GB memory (like pb)
    Maintain the new BB7 screen ppi (250 is deece)
    4" screen
    Front-facing camera
    better 5mp camera (camera quality and mp count are not the same)
    720p video (who needs 1080p...like really...lol)
    Equivalent 9900 build quality/feel

Wish list:
    Flash-capable browser
    Magnetometer
    NFC
    A really good autofocus camera
    Android player
    Smooth rotation of screen (its just pleasant to watch, lol)
    Bigger battery (as long as the device is the same or thinner than the Storm)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...quired-641334/
    08-24-11 04:41 PM

landscape sliders are NOT as popular as people seem to think, yes they do seem popular in north america, but not so much elsewhere. RIM of course do need to play the international game, so i wouldnt say a landscaoe slider as the only form factor.

if the curve has 4.1" screen, 1.8Ghz processor and 16Gb memory, then wouldnt that set the bar too high for the bold series (or equivalent)?

i mean if the bottom of the range item has 1.8Ghz, then top of the range should be like 2.xGhz which right now isnt anywhere near being available. arguably also its not really needed, playbook runs QNX very smoothly with 1Ghz dual core, asking for double/more speed in a phone seems overkill
    08-24-11 04:53 PM
    I believe you are the very reason for the development of the 9900. i doubt they will ditchthe candybar any time soon.

Well, Damn them for not getting my note about keeping auto focus then!

It just may be that wih the new QNX phones the bold equivalent will not be the flagship, as it is now.
    I think you are probably right about this, the Bold will probably still be a world class phone, just no longer the flagship phone of Rim.
    08-24-11 06:01 PM
    landscape sliders are NOT as popular as people seem to think, yes they do seem popular in north america, but not so much elsewhere. RIM of course do need to play the international game, so i wouldnt say a landscaoe slider as the only form factor.

if the curve has 4.1" screen, 1.8Ghz processor and 16Gb memory, then wouldnt that set the bar too high for the bold series (or equivalent)?

i mean if the bottom of the range item has 1.8Ghz, then top of the range should be like 2.xGhz which right now isnt anywhere near being available. arguably also its not really needed, playbook runs QNX very smoothly with 1Ghz dual core, asking for double/more speed in a phone seems overkill

I can see your point there. I guess the Curve was an oversight in my list, as what I was aiming at is the point of having a high minimum spec for the new QNX range of phones. This would demonstrate to consumers, developers, tech journalists etc, that RIM means business (no pun intended), and similar to iOS and Windows Phone, you'd know what to expect as a base, specifications-wise.

To clarify then, I would love to see the Bold 9900 remain. And no, it should not be the top-billing device anymore (as some have already noted here), rather being replaced by the all-touch, consumer-ready QNX Torch.

The QNX Curve would then be able to take-on a Palm Pixi/Treo format, with far far higher build quality and design, a 3.2"-3.5" high-resolution screen, and still carry a decent (1.2-1.5GHz single-core) processor.

All this would mean the interested parties will by then feel confident that Blackberries will handle ANY task, media-type, website, app, etc, with complete ease. Hopefully smoothing the way for greater sales and developer-app uptakes.

Good catch on the Curve oversight though, @BBThemes.
    Last edited by visceralberry; 08-24-11 at 06:57 PM.
    08-24-11 06:52 PM
    I personally do not need my phone to be thinner or lighter. Wieght and thickness is a good thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 07:12 PM
    Wow with those specs and hardware, based on the prices of their phones right now with considerably lower specs, the average BlackBerry user will need to get another job or take out a second mortgage on their home to be able to buy that.
    08-24-11 08:53 PM

Roll-on 2012......
    1. A full touchscreen is a must, so by Torch I would say the 9850 style minus the buttons and trackpad.

2. Disagree 100%. Slider phones are increasingly becoming an acquired taste. Too outdated.

3. Agreed for the most part. Add 8-12MP AUTO-FOCUS camera with 1080p recording and I agree a little more.

4. As I said in #1... but your hopes for specs are unrealistic. Would be nice and helpful for RIM though.

5. Can't really comment. I don't have a ton of experience with anything besides iOS 3&4 and a tiny bit of BBOS6, which was horrible to me.

6. Agree with you 'til the end. I'd say as far as design, take notes from Apple and maybe HTC. Samsung makes awesome bricks of plastic.

7. I hope you're joking about the BB7 phones having a great release... Almost to no fault of RIM though.

8. I'm not too familiar with how they're doing the Android thing, but as long as there's an option to keep your QNX phone from having even a hair of Android on it, I'm cool.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-24-11 09:22 PM
    At least the 5,000 top selling/downloaded apps from across the ecosystems (IE: iOS, Android, WebOS, Windows Phone, and Symbian/MeeGo), should be available for the first QNXmobiles, FROM LAUNCH

Nielsen: Top 50 Android Apps Account for 61% of All App Usage

The report by Nielsen Smartphone Analytics reveals that the top 10 apps in the Market account for 43 percent of the time Android users spend with mobile apps. Whats more, the top 50 apps account for 61 percent of smartphone users time spent with mobile apps. Ergo: The remaining 249,950-plus apps only account for 39 percent of Android owners mobile apps use.
    Apple has done a great job of turning the app store into it's strongest selling point by quoting some nebulous and always increasing number that is essentially meaningless. Everyone, it seems, including most of the reviewers out there are hooked by this 'hundreds of thousands of apps' statistic, which to any reasonable person has no value; very few people are going to make use of more than a few core apps. To waste a lot of time and energy pursuing the developers of more than perhaps the top 100 apps won't bring a worthwhile return. RIM's energy (and money) would be much better spent hiring some halfway competent marketers and highlight what all is possible with the BlackBerry even without 426 million niche apps. Spend what it takes to get the high profile, core apps on board (Skype, Netflix, Facebook, etc), and let the rest come on their own.
    08-25-11 01:04 AM
    Wow with those specs and hardware, based on the prices of their phones right now with considerably lower specs, the average BlackBerry user will need to get another job or take out a second mortgage on their home to be able to buy that.
    Lol. I see the point you make, but I doubt it'll be any way close to that bad. There are probably dozens of Androids out there already that nearly meet or exceed these specs already, so by early to mid next year, this'll be far cheaper for RIM to manufacture at a cost-effective price point (for both them, and for us consumers).
    08-25-11 02:29 PM
    Am noticing a number of people are not yet sold on the idea of horizontal sliders...Quick thought: How would people like to see RIM transition the various models currently available?

Especially, what should be done with the Torch slider and the Bold series'?......

Will be very interesting to see how flexible the BB community will be with 'new' form-factors in the next generation of QNX phones, and whether screen real-estate will be prioritised over the 'traditional'.

3.7" QNX Torch (vertical) slider anyone? How about the suggestion made somewhere about a larger screened QNX Bold 9900?....
    08-25-11 02:41 PM
    Exchange support!!!!!!!!!!!! The new Bold's are freaking awesome. The hardware and keyboard are unbelievable, but in 2011 the lack of native exchange support is seriously hurting RIM's sales. Small and mid-sized business's (and even some larger ones now) are dropping their BES's. Once they do that, many do not want to support even the free BESX. I do not think I am alone in the business world with this thought. I spent today looking for a Blackberry style Android phone because as much as I love my 9930, I just can't keep it.

So.....QNX, 9930 Hardware, Android Apps, Processing power to support it, but not too much to kill battery, Toggle on/off LTE (just a wish I would throw in), and native exchange support and this phone will jump to the front of the business users wish list.

Come on RIM. You are close to coming back.
    08-25-11 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD