No, it represents the 'old' BB experience, you know, the one that had the company failing!

This is paramount to the 'old' way of thinking. The same way that BB sat back and insisted their way was the only way and they didn't need to do anything differently. The fact is, markets evolve, if you don't believe you should, too, you will not be around much longer.
    I don't agree with you, the 'paramount to the old way of thinking' isn't materialised in the presence of the keyboard. And what made Blackberry dying was ignoring what a modern OS really needs, not sticking with a physical keyboard.
    With BB10 they have shown to finally understand the consumers' needs. And the keyboard on the Q10 just shows how you can integrate some shortcuts more efficiently than an all touch device.
    For example Apple felt scrolling action was an issue and they added the tap to the top of the screen to go to the top of a webpage. In BB10 with the keyboard you have that (with letter 't') but also to the bottom of the page (letter 'b') and so many others like next page, previous page etc.
    If the Q10 were given more screen estate it would be by far more versatile than any all touch device.
    The 'old BB experience' for me is defined by the small screen and lots of contextual menus you scrolled with your trackpad.
    BB10 got rid of it, and imho the Q10 just interacts more efficiently with the new OS.
    I never was a physical keyboard diehard but since i have the Q10 i feel really bothered when i go back to an iphone or even a Z10 as i miss instant actions and all the shortcuts.
    Instant actions are 70% of what i feel like defining what really is a 'smartphone'.
    Couldn't do without them from now on, and i even accept a smaller screen estate just to be able to enjoy those quick as lightning commands.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BroncoVAL; 10-27-13 at 05:42 PM.
    10-27-13 05:22 PM
    4.2" gets the nod in this forum. Mention this size in an Android forum and you'll get minimal interest. Of course 4.2" is the best size - for BlackBerry users because they are used to 3 to 3.5" screens and a 5" screen is too big a jump. If you want to appeal to the Android crowd, you gotta go bigger and sharper. At 4.2", this leaves you directly against the IPhone and no one, not even the top Android manufacturers, can beat IPhone at this size. It's good BlackBerry appealed to it's core users but failed IMO to appeal to the two other platforms. I have yet to hear Samsung reveal sales of its S Mini phones and they are also launched several months after the bigger flagship model which means the big screen market is significantly more than what many people in this forum think it is. One hand use and put in my slim pants pockets have been taken over by oversized Women & Man purses & gaming/watching videos on long transit users.
    10-27-13 06:34 PM
    I agree, they should have one phone, or one full screen and one with a keyboard and that's it if they're too stubborn to not control themselves. They just can't let go of there failing practices. And never will.
    10-27-13 07:44 PM
    I really want this Sucker!

Q5 and Z10 unnecessary?-image.jpg
    FrycHiKn likes this.
    10-27-13 08:15 PM
    I don't agree with you, the 'paramount to the old way of thinking' isn't materialised in the presence of the keyboard. And what made Blackberry dying was ignoring what a modern OS really needs, not sticking with a physical keyboard.
    With BB10 they have shown to finally understand the consumers' needs. And the keyboard on the Q10 just shows how you can integrate some shortcuts more efficiently than an all touch device.
    For example Apple felt scrolling action was an issue and they added the tap to the top of the screen to go to the top of a webpage. In BB10 with the keyboard you have that (with letter 't') but also to the bottom of the page (letter 'b') and so many others like next page, previous page etc.
    If the Q10 were given more screen estate it would be by far more versatile than any all touch device.
    The 'old BB experience' for me is defined by the small screen and lots of contextual menus you scrolled with your trackpad.
    BB10 got rid of it, and imho the Q10 just interacts more efficiently with the new OS.
    I never was a physical keyboard diehard but since i have the Q10 i feel really bothered when i go back to an iphone or even a Z10 as i miss instant actions and all the shortcuts.
    Instant actions are 70% of what i feel like defining what really is a 'smartphone'.
    Couldn't do without them from now on, and i even accept a smaller screen estate just to be able to enjoy those quick as lightning commands.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that is what i meant by not evolving, however the keyboard IS linked to the old way, like it or not.

When people see my Z, they can't believe it is a BB. Why? Because all they remember about them is an outdated os and the keyboard. I'm not saying there is no place for a physical keyboard, but the perception of the past must be dealt with in the present. For me, the Z10 does this better than the Q.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 09:08 PM
    I'm not saying it's more solid. I'm saying that for the keyboard range, a q10 would have sufficed. As for the all touch range, a z30 would have been sufficient. My point here is that the q5 and z10 are good phones, but with BlackBerry making their lineup so big, they are losing a lot of money thru sales not reaching expectations.

Posted via CB10
    Z10 was a mistake IMO. To lure the Android market, the screen should've been at least 4.7" as the majority of leading Androids this year is 4.7" to 5.2". The Z10 at 4.2" meant it competed directly against the IPhone at 4".
    RIMs first concern was to retain existing BlackBerry users. Then, to recapture those who had left. It would make more sense for BlackBerry to target new smartphone users next than to try and lure current Android users from Android phones; espescially since Android users have an effin' plathora of handsets to choose from if they do not like which-ever one they may currently be using.

Interesting, I like the screen on the Z10 the way it is. I find the increasingly ridiculous screen size of some Android phones just awful, the Z10 is just comfortable enough to hold in one hand and type with a thumb, and reach the top and bottom corners. Apple is also careful to not have awkward screens that stop their phones being useful in one hand, which is why they revised their screen size thoughtfully and made it taller in the later models.
    The Z10 was designed to be held and operated by one hand. Also, people seem to forget that RIM/BlackBerry's first order of business was to release a new OS and phone that would help retain existing BB customers. The size of the Z10 is perfect for BB customers used to BB form factors.

Yeah I guess what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't be sacrificing some specs for a phone that isn't radically different in looks or size

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 gets slagged for having "low specs", yet, most like I find the specs rather pleasing. t is not the hardware that matters, it is how the OS, and kernel, utilize the hardware. RIM with legacy BBOS, and Apple with the PowerPC line-up, proved this.

Really how can anyone recommend taking a leaf from Samsung. Uggh I've never liked anything they did, except from when their tablets developed a striking design resemblance to white iPads. Yeah, that looks nice lol.
    SAMSUNG is the best selling smartphone brand. Over 30% of market share. I also don't like their devices, but it's very obvious that many do like them.[/QUOTE]Hmmmm....it's not obvious that many like the phone, only that many have bought the phone.

I wonder what market share would look like if people were not locked into multi-year contracts.

I was referring to bigger size screen luring Android users. Look at all the top selling Androids this year and none are below 4.7". Even 4.5" would have a tough time competing in the crowded Android market. Even the highly lauded HTC One and Moto X at 4.7" are struggling. You may not like what Samsung does but they did propel Android to the level it is now which gave consumers more choices size and spec wise. They took the risks other Android manufacturers were afraid to take and differentiated itself from Apple and one of the key factors was screen size. I doubt the S3 or S4 would've been a success if their screens were 4.2". At that size, people would simply stick to IPhones.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but HTC and a few others had 5" screens beginning in 2007. Samsung did not have a screen that broke the 4" mark until 2011 with the SII. HTC and LG really pushed the Android handset market in general by offering the widest variety of handsets, with the Verizon Droid series really pushing Android handsets to new levels as far as specs are concerned. Samsung just got lucky with the SIII, and honestly, played it safe for the most part. And the SIII launched in what, the summer of 2012. Also, the SII had a 4.3" screen and was a fairly hyped-up phone in 2011.

There was a lot of hype behind the HTC One before launch, but like BB10, the reviews tended to be It's a decent phone, but....and....and....
    10-27-13 09:14 PM
    There aren't really any "lower spec" BB10 devices. All 4 devices have the same amount of RAM. The CPU's range from 1.2GHz to 1.7GHz, all dual core and you can't tell a difference in the operation of the device between those speeds. I used someone's Q5 and it functions the same as a Q10. No lags. The Q5 is the only of the 4 that has less internal storage and in these days I don't know many people that don't install a memory card anyway. The biggest thing you can shout about is the build quality and even there the Q5 is definitely not a Curve.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 09:32 PM
    You know i bought The Q5 a month ago and even if i had money for Q10 i chosen The Q5 because is not big difference but Q5 keybord is far better.
    Posted via CB10 from Q5
    Funny reading this today as I was just saying the same thing to someone today. I checked the specs and there is not alot different (as per what I care about ). I can get the Q5 basically free on a very cheap 2 yr. I don't care about the battery if it dies hopefully before the warranty. After that big deal as I got the phone almost free. Oh, and for me smaller is better - I don't want to lug around a gargantuan phone. I shake my head when I see people with 2.
    10-27-13 10:53 PM
    Common the price of a Z10 New is 300 euros. Z10 is far the best Phone at this price

Posted via CB10
    it's a joke. If I want so set on the Q10 I would've never paid so much for it while on contract.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:15 AM
    I don't understand, I'm a noob on this. So, the Q5 only has 8GB's of space for apps to be downloaded? so, once the 8GB is filled you can't download more apps?
    That's exactly right.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 02:43 AM
    There are people that don`t like Phones with the size of a breakfast table !

I can still put my Z10 in my Pocket, try this with your 5 inch plus phones !

Also i like to read my messages on my own, they are not for every one that is staying behind.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    10-28-13 02:59 AM
    RIMs first concern was to retain existing BlackBerry users. Then, to recapture those who had left. It would make more sense for BlackBerry to target new smartphone users next than to try and lure current Android users from Android phones; espescially since Android users have an effin' plathora of handsets to choose from if they do not like which-ever one they may currently be using.

The Z10 was designed to be held and operated by one hand. Also, people seem to forget that RIM/BlackBerry's first order of business was to release a new OS and phone that would help retain existing BB customers. The size of the Z10 is perfect for BB customers used to BB form factors.

The Z10 gets slagged for having "low specs", yet, most like I find the specs rather pleasing. t is not the hardware that matters, it is how the OS, and kernel, utilize the hardware. RIM with legacy BBOS, and Apple with the PowerPC line-up, proved this.

SAMSUNG is the best selling smartphone brand. Over 30% of market share. I also don't like their devices, but it's very obvious that many do like them.
    Hmmmm....it's not obvious that many like the phone, only that many have bought the phone.

I wonder what market share would look like if people were not locked into multi-year contracts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but HTC and a few others had 5" screens beginning in 2007. Samsung did not have a screen that broke the 4" mark until 2011 with the SII. HTC and LG really pushed the Android handset market in general by offering the widest variety of handsets, with the Verizon Droid series really pushing Android handsets to new levels as far as specs are concerned. Samsung just got lucky with the SIII, and honestly, played it safe for the most part. And the SIII launched in what, the summer of 2012. Also, the SII had a 4.3" screen and was a fairly hyped-up phone in 2011.

There was a lot of hype behind the HTC One before launch, but like BB10, the reviews tended to be It's a decent phone, but....and....and....[/QUOTE]

Sales of S2 are not even close to sales of S3 and S4 which makes your argument that a 4.2" screen can be as effective sales wise in the Android market. The under 4 to 4.5" Android screen bus left in 2012 when the S3 arrived. The fact that HTC had 5" phones in 2007 is more due to the Company's lack of initiative and follow through to make that size a hit with consumers. HTC, along with BlackBerry, were the top smartphone makers that year so no excuse for HTC for not making the 5" phone a successful niche product. In fact, they missed out as Samsung took a risk by launching the what was then the idiotic-sized Note series in 2011 and followed through with the Note 2 and 3 and this series has been a huge cash cow for the Company. As for the S3 and S4, can you say their sales would have reached same levels if they remained at under 4.5". Name me an Android phone under 4.5" in the top five in sales and profits since 2012.

As for BlackBerry keeping the size of Z10 to 4.2" to cater to their core users, wasn't BB10 suppose to cater to all users? The BlackBerry market share was already shrinking in 2011, why cater to that market first when there's a huge pile of consumers on the other side. The nearly $1 billion in write down is proof enough that BlackBerry had also targeted smartphone users outside the BlackBerry market but did not anticipate the low demand.
    10-28-13 03:21 AM
    I really want this Sucker!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	214916
    Oh, awesome! If that would be real, I would have wanted one. Just because it's so different. Very cool.
    10-28-13 03:26 AM
    Wouldn't have bought a BB if it wasn't for the Z10. The Z30 is too big. The Q10 is too premium. The Q5 has excellent battery life and I like the looks of it!

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I think phones are getting bigger like they used to be at first but wider. We need to get used to it. Z10 is my perfect size for a phone.
    10-28-13 08:31 AM
114 ... 345