Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    As a Q10 owner, I wanted to see how it would look to have a more Q5-like approach to the center bezel. I like how it was executed on the Q5 for two reasons.

1. It gives more space to use the swipe up and is less prone for error.
    2. It fills the space where the trackpad / keys used to be pre-BB10. I always felt the Q10 felt a little empty there in appearance.

The third render on the right was just an experiment to see how it would look if they just focused on the logo instead of the "BlackBerry" type treatment with it.

Thoughts?

Update: Added a fourth rendition with the branding removed completely. Also added a fifth, longer rendition with more screen real estate but keeps the branding and more room for the bezel gesture.
    Attached Thumbnails Q10 Refresh (Photoshop Render)-q10_refresh_ch.jpg  
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 10-08-13 at 12:33 AM.
    10-07-13 09:40 PM
    not a bad idea, i actually like it in a way, the second image not the third though.
    10-07-13 09:42 PM
    I would say take out the logo and blackberry all together and just give us more screen real estate. I for one have never had a problem with the up gesture.

Posted from Q10 and CB10.
    10-07-13 10:51 PM
    Take image #1, drop the branding to below the keyboard and expand the screen real estate and you have me sold.
    10-07-13 11:05 PM
    There must be a reason they chose to put the logo /more space on he top instead of at the bottom where you need it to swipe. I agree having less space at the top is better. Makes gorgeous better swiping and also has logo on bottom like z10, z30, etc
    10-07-13 11:11 PM
    There must be a reason they chose to put the logo /more space on he top instead of at the bottom where you need it to swipe.
    I would think that the logo is where it is purely for visibility. That is it is in a place where it would not normally be covered by the users hand, which does of course make my place it at the bottom idea an almost non starter but I still like the idea.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    10-07-13 11:26 PM
    Having the screen sit more centered would seem to make more sense although it may make moving between the keyboard & touchscreen more cumbersome.
    Less bezel is always good whether it's to make the device smaller or the screen larger either is a winner but there is plenty of packaging on the inside we're not privy to of course.
    10-07-13 11:34 PM
    I would think that the logo is where it is purely for visibility. That is it is in a place where it would not normally be covered by the users hand, which does of course make my place it at the bottom idea an almost non starter but I still like the idea.
    I think the logo is in the bezel on most of their new phones because the user will likely look at it when they're swiping and give them more brand recognition. It's also the method to get the "BlackBerry" experience with the hub, so it fits there in my opinion. I think they should stick to that with how the Q5, Z10, and Z30 are and remove the old style of having the logo on top like the legacy BBOS devices.

As a reference, here was the Palm Pixi that wasn't as nice, but showed some similarities.

Attachment 208749
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-07-13 11:58 PM
    In the flesh the Q5 seems to have a bigger screen than the Q10 even though it doesn't. I like that.
    10-08-13 12:04 AM
    Thanks for sharing the renders. I'd really like a design in which the logos are all on the back cover and all available real estate above the keyboard is given to the screen (perhaps with a slightly wider space for swiping up).

I wonder sometimes: BlackBerry's brand presence, at least on the Q10 and Q5, is already being reliably telegraphed by the beautiful keyboard. So, wouldn't it be fine to relegate the logo exhibitionism to the back cover?

BBQ10
    bennelong likes this.
    10-08-13 12:16 AM
    Thanks for sharing the renders. I'd really like a design in which the logos are all on the back cover and all available real estate above the keyboard is given to the screen (perhaps with a slightly wider space for swiping up).

I wonder sometimes: BlackBerry's brand presence, at least on the Q10 and Q5, is already being reliably telegraphed by the beautiful keyboard. So, wouldn't it be fine to relegate the logo exhibitionism to the back cover?

BBQ10
    I added the rendition you're describing in the OP. It's the fourth from the left.

This would the Apple method, where the logo is just on the back.
    10-08-13 12:30 AM
    Logo should be at the bottom like the z10, and expand the screen.
    10-08-13 06:03 AM
    #4 is for me the winner of the group. Clean and makes the most use of available space.
    LoganSix likes this.
    10-08-13 07:34 AM
    The 4th one is perfect
    10-08-13 06:18 PM
    As a Q10 owner, I wanted to see how it would look to have a more Q5-like approach to the center bezel. I like how it was executed on the Q5 for two reasons.

1. It gives more space to use the swipe up and is less prone for error.
    2. It fills the space where the trackpad / keys used to be pre-BB10. I always felt the Q10 felt a little empty there in appearance.

The third render on the right was just an experiment to see how it would look if they just focused on the logo instead of the "BlackBerry" type treatment with it.

Thoughts?

Update: Added a fourth rendition with the branding removed completely. Also added a fifth, longer rendition with more screen real estate but keeps the branding and more room for the bezel gesture.
    when i saw the q10 for the first time...i knew it was over. it boggles my mind why, when so much of the public accepts large 5" phones and even bigger, BB didnt make the screen on the q10 bigger. guess they thought they'd leave room for improvement over the years, teasing a'la apple. unfortunately some companies can do this, others need to put their best foot forward EVERY time. the decision to make the q10 into the size it is now was a bad one.
    10-08-13 08:24 PM
    It's hard to tell. I think the Q10 screen is perfect the way it is for my messaging needs. It would be nice to have a complimentary device a-la-playbook to do the video and gaming that the Q10 screen isn't the best for, but it looks like the next iteration of the Playbook won't be out for a while (if at all). I only say that because even though I love my Playbook, it just can't keep up with my Q10 as well as I would like, and using the bridge feature to type and browse on the PlayBook could use some improvement. Reading websites in reader mode is great and even reading books with kindle works really well. I think with a larger screen the phone wouldn't feel as well balanced in the hand and would take away from the experience. I can hardly put my Q10 down and I've never held any other phone that feels so good in the hand. Personal opinion though :P

"The Best Device is Debatable - The Best Security is Not"
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    10-08-13 08:52 PM
    It's hard to tell. I think the Q10 screen is perfect the way it is for my messaging needs. It would be nice to have a complimentary device a-la-playbook to do the video and gaming that the Q10 screen isn't the best for, but it looks like the next iteration of the Playbook won't be out for a while (if at all). I only say that because even though I love my Playbook, it just can't keep up with my Q10 as well as I would like, and using the bridge feature to type and browse on the PlayBook could use some improvement. Reading websites in reader mode is great and even reading books with kindle works really well. I think with a larger screen the phone wouldn't feel as well balanced in the hand and would take away from the experience. I can hardly put my Q10 down and I've never held any other phone that feels so good in the hand. Personal opinion though :P

"The Best Device is Debatable - The Best Security is Not"
    I agree with this to the T.

I'm very happy with the Q10 but wouldn't mind a larger tablet as a companion device for my media. My PlayBook works but it's a little long in the tooth. I have a Z10 too but I don't want to carry around two phones. For the most part, the Q10 does everything I need though. I wouldn't mind if it had an even bigger screen. Maybe if they extended it vertically like I showed in some of my 'shops above for more breathing room with the content. But I prefer they keep the size virtually the same as the Q10.
    10-08-13 09:37 PM
    Cameron, just for your thoughts, if the keyboard stays the same size (and I think it would have to no matter what) where do you think the screen size would become so big as to make the device top heavy to the point of being unbalanced. That is what I see with image #5.
    10-08-13 09:51 PM
    Cameron, just for your thoughts, if the keyboard stays the same size (and I think it would have to no matter what) where do you think the screen size would become so big as to make the device top heavy to the point of being unbalanced. That is what I see with image #5.
    Good question. That's something I thought about too when I was doing that one. I think there are ways they can balance it with the battery placement along with other components. But past that, I'm really not too sure.

It's definitely a huge factor in designing the phone though. The Palm Pixi was a phone where the display sat pretty high in relation to the keyboard. It wasn't exactly the greatest hardware, but they pulled that off pretty well. But notice how they kept the gap below the display and keyboard for the bezel gestures (since the Palm/HP phones relied on the same functionality that BB10 does).

Q10 Refresh (Photoshop Render)-palm-pixi-sprint-hero-250.jpg
    10-09-13 10:54 AM
    Good point about the battery placement. I hadn't considered the internals with respect to weight distribution so that helped. What I was thinking about when it came to full QWERTY keyboards and balance, or lack thereof was this. Great phone but lord it felt very odd in the hands.

Q10 Refresh (Photoshop Render)-smartphone-motorola-pro-745x559-efdd78003e8ff68a.jpg
    10-09-13 11:37 AM