BlackBerry Q10 is 'fastest-selling ever' at Selfridges as corporates snap it up
    Corporate buyers and exporters queue to buy dozens of handsets at a time to get keyboard-based BB10 model despite lack of advertising around UK launch

BlackBerry's new Q10, on the right, has set sales records at Selfridges in the UK on its launch. Photograph: Andy Rain/EPA
    Charles Arthur

BlackBerry's keyboard-based Q10 handset, its first with both a keyboard and running its BB10 software, has made a red-hot start on its first weekend in the UK, selling thousands per hour at Selfridges, the only outlet that was selling it.

According to two people who were there separately, the Carphone Warehouse outlet was selling dozens of handsets at once to buyers from corporate IT customers and to would-be exporters.

In a statement, Selfridges said that the Q10 had been its fastest-selling consumer electronics product ever, through its London, Birmingham and Manchester stores. "Selfridges' initial stock of the BlackBerry Q10 sold out in stores within two hours," the store said in a statement. "Stock of the BlackBerry Q10 is being continually delivered on the hour, every hour to keep up with demand."

However a spokesperson for BlackBerry declined to say how many units were sold in total, or how the first three days' sales compared to those for the touchscreen-based Z10, which was launched at multiple retail outlets in January.

The popularity of the handset suggests that BlackBerry's core business users who have relied on its keyboard-based models, rather than using full touchscreen devices, are snapping up the Q10 handsets, despite their launch having had little publicity - in stark contrast to the Z10, which has had widespread advertising.

The Z10 and Q10 are key to BlackBerry's future success, after a torrid year in which it has suffered a number of quarters with poor financial results and seen falling revenues. Handset shipments in its most recent quarter, to the start of February, were just 6m, its lowest figure since spring 2008. But those figures preceded the widespread launch of the new BB10 handsets.

Michael Collins, a former hedge fund manager, wrote on SeekingAlpha that on arriving at 9am on Friday morning "there were lots of exporters there buying 20+ units each. They had suitcases, and one used the suitcase to block people in the escalator so his pal could be first to the counter. Carphone Warehouse [which was selling the units inside Selfridges] had broken customers out into two lines - single unit buyers like me and 'multi-unit' buyers."

Collins estimated that around 2,000 units were sold in the first 90 minutes, and that the entire day's stock was sold in six hours. "I asked the manager how this compared to the Z10 and she giggled, rolling her eyes and raising her arm in the air skyward, saying it was 'leagues beyond anything they had seen.'"

04-29-13 03:08 AM
    Awesome news. Wonder when it will release here, but I'm afraid to find out the price, actually....
    04-29-13 03:36 AM
    I wish they wouldn't pull media stunts like this, most of those were bought to be resold in other countries. Alll that just to get a "sold out" headline.
    04-29-13 03:45 AM
    You sound quite bitter lately BD. Whats the issue this time?
    Never mind if you're only wanting to steal a little bit of good news from BlackBerry and get the thread off to a bad start
    If people are willing to buy at market price to take a risk and sell to others at a higher price. Who cares. It's all demand.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 03:46 AM
    I wish they wouldn't pull media stunts like this, most of those were bought to be resold in other countries. Alll that just to get a "sold out" headline.
    Produce proof for that statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-13 03:50 AM
    Corporate buyers and exporters queue to buy dozens of handsets at a time to get keyboard-based BB10 model despite lack of advertising around UK launch

BlackBerry's new Q10, on the right, has set sales records at Selfridges in the UK on its launch. Photograph: Andy Rain/EPA
    Charles Arthur

BlackBerry's keyboard-based Q10 handset, its first with both a keyboard and running its BB10 software, has made a red-hot start on its first weekend in the UK, selling thousands per hour at Selfridges, the only outlet that was selling it.

According to two people who were there separately, the Carphone Warehouse outlet was selling dozens of handsets at once to buyers from corporate IT customers and to would-be exporters.

In a statement, Selfridges said that the Q10 had been its fastest-selling consumer electronics product ever, through its London, Birmingham and Manchester stores. "Selfridges' initial stock of the BlackBerry Q10 sold out in stores within two hours," the store said in a statement. "Stock of the BlackBerry Q10 is being continually delivered on the hour, every hour to keep up with demand."

However a spokesperson for BlackBerry declined to say how many units were sold in total, or how the first three days' sales compared to those for the touchscreen-based Z10, which was launched at multiple retail outlets in January.

The popularity of the handset suggests that BlackBerry's core business users who have relied on its keyboard-based models, rather than using full touchscreen devices, are snapping up the Q10 handsets, despite their launch having had little publicity - in stark contrast to the Z10, which has had widespread advertising.

The Z10 and Q10 are key to BlackBerry's future success, after a torrid year in which it has suffered a number of quarters with poor financial results and seen falling revenues. Handset shipments in its most recent quarter, to the start of February, were just 6m, its lowest figure since spring 2008. But those figures preceded the widespread launch of the new BB10 handsets.

Michael Collins, a former hedge fund manager, wrote on SeekingAlpha that on arriving at 9am on Friday morning "there were lots of exporters there buying 20+ units each. They had suitcases, and one used the suitcase to block people in the escalator so his pal could be first to the counter. Carphone Warehouse [which was selling the units inside Selfridges] had broken customers out into two lines - single unit buyers like me and 'multi-unit' buyers."

Collins estimated that around 2,000 units were sold in the first 90 minutes, and that the entire day's stock was sold in six hours. "I asked the manager how this compared to the Z10 and she giggled, rolling her eyes and raising her arm in the air skyward, saying it was 'leagues beyond anything they had seen.'"

Left out this part:

The queue was split into two, for bulk buyers and "small purchases" - and Farago, aiming to buy three units prived around �600 each, was classed in the latter. After buying his units, he checked the "bulk" queue, and found people were buying 30 or more units at once - which would cost �18,000 or more in a single transaction. "These people were here to buy them at the UK exclusive and resell them either in the UK or export them, as one guy I spoke to was doing," Farago told the Guardian.
    jegs2 likes this.
    04-29-13 04:06 AM
    You sound quite bitter lately BD. Whats the issue this time?
    Never mind if you're only wanting to steal a little bit of good news from BlackBerry and get the thread off to a bad start
    If people are willing to buy at market price to take a risk and sell to others at a higher price. Who cares. It's all demand.

Posted via CB10
    I said the same when Nokia pulled the same "sold out" stunt, I just don't agree with such practices. BB never needed to do something like that in the past.

I guess I don't like the change from a dignified company to a "do anything to sell sell sell" company.
    trsbbs likes this.
    04-29-13 04:09 AM
    Demand is demand. It wasn't BlackBerry doing the selling. It was a retail outlet. They can sell how they choose. Relax, life's not perfect. Why you think BlackBerry must be is beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 04:20 AM
    Demand is demand. It wasn't BlackBerry doing the selling. It was a retail outlet. They can sell how they choose. Relax, life's not perfect. Why you think BlackBerry must be is beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    It was BB that gave them the exclusive though.

Edit, did anybody actually read the whole article? Lol

"But Farago expressed some doubt. "Am I surprised they sold out? Not at all, when people were buying as many in a single transaction, how could they not. Was it a huge success for BlackBerry? No, I don't think it was. I don't understand what the point was. Why organise a UK exclusive sale and then not make any obvious fanfare about it? Why no big Blackberry presence demoing phones? Why not cap the sales to deter resellers and make the phones last longer to get in the hands of actual consumers. Why no press? The lack of genuine consumer interest certainly doesn't bode well for the second part of the BB10 launch which most of Blackberry's future seems to hang on, but perhaps if anyone had known about it, it would have been a different story."

However Farago observed that "Maybe I've just missed the point all together and since people are now writing about how they 'sold out in hours' they have got exactly what they wanted. All I know is it didn't feel like the launch of a game changing device for Blackberry."
    BB10fanatic, AT_Nepal and jegs2 like this.
    04-29-13 04:21 AM
    Left out this part:

The queue was split into two, for bulk buyers and "small purchases" - and Farago, aiming to buy three units prived around �600 each, was classed in the latter. After buying his units, he checked the "bulk" queue, and found people were buying 30 or more units at once - which would cost �18,000 or more in a single transaction. "These people were here to buy them at the UK exclusive and resell them either in the UK or export them, as one guy I spoke to was doing," Farago told the Guardian.
    WOW what a spin!!!!

They sold out in two hours of at least a thousand units.

IT buyers mean deploying to corporate, which means adoption at Corporations that much faster.

Resellers for export means a certain supply abroad, since small resellers would not expend cash at a risk.

So zero in on those two groups and try to spin out of an amazing achievement for the Q10. It's an expected part of your crusade.

Fact is that selling out of a thousand units in a large store of a BB is huge. There were no such events at the sake of the 9900 in London were there?

So look who is trying to put a negative spin on very healthy news of initial sales of the BB Q10....strange times indeed.

This was selling out of a thousand handsets in two hours. Not five. And IT buyers for immediate deployment?!? HUGE!!!!

****gotta say, this hating on BB even when there are good news is particularly telling******

Last edited by qbnkelt; 04-29-13 at 04:37 AM.
    04-29-13 04:26 AM
    Error, hit quote instead of edit
    04-29-13 04:34 AM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This is amazing news for both Blackberry and the lovers of the iconic Blackberry ... many, i included, can't wait to get this amazing phone!

and yes .. I also have the z!0 and love it too! ... but .. something about a keyboard ... the Best in Class!!
    04-29-13 04:39 AM
    This is amazing news for both Blackberry and the lovers of the iconic Blackberry ... many, i included, can't wait to get this amazing phone!

and yes .. I also have the z!0 and love it too! ... but .. something about a keyboard ... the Best in Class!!
    Of course it is. Only people with agendas pr conspiracy theorists would spin it into a negative.

04-29-13 04:58 AM
    Seeking alphas involvement and bbry has been on a tear this past week. Do the math.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    04-29-13 05:18 AM
    Now time to start advertising!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:29 AM
    Anyone see this one?

http://t.crackberry.com/law-firm-cli...rry-10-devices

Let's see the hater spin that one onto a negative.

Hang on.....grabbed coffee.....OK, go..

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 05:37 AM
    Or how about this one a week earlier

Canadian tire Corporation purchases Several thousand BB10 devices...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=797599

From the Zed of Rockivy
    jojo beaconsfield and aarty like this.
    04-29-13 05:48 AM
    The Q10 selling out anywhere is great news.

The only negative is they have theirs before I have mine
    04-29-13 05:51 AM
    At the risk of coming across as pro BlackBerry I would note from the article that it is not only the fastest selling phone ever but "In a statement, Selfridges said that the Q10 had been its fastest-selling consumer electronics product ever.
    04-29-13 05:53 AM
    Or how about this one a week earlier

Canadian tire Corporation purchases Several thousand BB10 devices...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=797599

From the Zed of Rockivy
    BB10 is well catered for with bes10, it makes sense for corporations. It's us consumers that don't get any extra services that we used to get. They might come in the future but right now they're not there. BlackBerry Protect ota backup and restore by logging in with BBID is one I sorely miss.

Posted via CB10
    Kman13, ihys and Davidro1 like this.
    04-29-13 06:03 AM
    .....and while I'm at it, who is this Oli Farago that is being so widely quoted? Of all the hundreds of people at this event The Guardian finds this guy:

Oli Farago, technology partner at M7 Real Estate LLP, was at the London store too. He told the Guardian: "It was an absolutely bizarre morning. My senior partner is an absolutely diehard BlackBerry fan and loyalist, at least to the keyboard if not the platform itself."
    04-29-13 06:06 AM
    .....and while I'm at it, who is this Oli Farago that is being so widely quoted? Of all the hundreds of people at this event The Guardian finds this guy:
    I suppose you can call him a witness of the event.
    04-29-13 06:14 AM
    Oli Farago Who? The end of that article sounds desperate to be negative! Can't understand it.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 06:14 AM
    I suppose you can call him a witness of the event.
    Nicely done BD, hijacking the thread to cry some more about a phone that BlackBerry gave you! Grow Up. Move on if your not satisfied.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 06:17 AM
    He's the new darling of the negative spin artists....

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 06:19 AM
153 123 ...