03-15-10 03:56 PM
84 1234
tools
    I would think you have to request a detail bill from verizon
    03-15-10 01:46 PM
    You did, right there. ^^ I said my bit, and you said 'when they do' implying that having a child with their own unmonitored cellphone will lead to those kinds of consequences. You should read your own posts a little better, or clarify.

Again, you need to clarify. When you say;

I assume you meant 'no rights', then you say no rights. You never mentioned privacy rights, or anything of the sort. That's why I used the extreme example of child abuse. Also, maybe in your home. I've had a phone since I was 14 (a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, when phones didn't have cameras, colours, or music), and my parents never intruded into my business on my phone, nor did I intrude in theirs. A mutual respect. They stayed out of my business, I stayed out of theirs, and there was no police calls, drug overdoses, or online predators knocking at my door. Crazy, I know.

I never said pedophilia is ok, I was using an example of people who have a like-minded mentality when it comes to children.

The way you compose yourself on these boards gives me some idea. I've already seen you treating other members like dirt for less than what I've said to you. But like you said in another thread, it's not like you care regardless, so it won't really matter if I say this or not.

That's a terrible mentality to raise children with. You should trust your kids UNTIL they give you a reason not to. Innocent until proven guilty, I believe the saying is? I don't know what happened to you, but I usually trust in people until they give me a reason not to. When they do, lesson learned. If they don't, I learn I have someone I can really trust in. Especially with my own children, I would not assume the worst and think they would betray my trust before it happens. I would give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, but that's just me. I guess I'm too soft.

You know what else teaches them that? Sticking their hand in an oven. It's definitely not the smartest or safest way, but if you tell a kid 'hey, if you put your hand on this burner, those burns are going to be consequences of your actions.' it teaches them the same thing, but that would not be responsible parenting. You should be really word your posts better.

I'm not, don't worry.

And would you justify unknown GPS, SMS, and email tracking as justification to find out whether they were at said hypothetical party or at said hypothetical friends house?

EDIT:

Glad I could make you laugh.

Yes, it is quite the exaggeration, I agree. But if you read the post I quoted in direct context, that's what MissJennel was insinuating. If teenagers have their own unmonitored cellphones, those things will eventually happen to them.
    I was not insinuating unmonitored cell phones equals those things. Letting your kids run rampant and them not having accountability for their actions can. That is the point. If you let your kids run wild and do whatever they want and have no consequences then more often than not they end up getting into situations they shouldn't be in and are dangerous. If I ever put something on my kids phone that will spy on it they will know it before hand. But thats not my style. I would just take the phone away if it was the problem. When I tell my kids not to do something I expect them not to do it. But if they do then they will be punished accordingly. The said burn would not be the punishment. That's like saying "don't go drink. If you do then the hangover will be your punishment". I think not. There will be more than that for consequences for my kids. They will learn not to do it again. You read way to much into things and take them however you want and not what how they are ment to be taken. And that is all fine and dandy. I will raise my kids how I want and you can how you want. It is a good feeling when I am out to dinner or at a store with my kids and get complimented on how well behaved and polite they are. So I will continue to raise my kids the way that I am. Seems to be working pretty well so far. But thanks for your concern.
    03-15-10 01:55 PM
    Think about it my good friend

They say " no more spanking "

then you have kids with ADD

"they" issue medical treatments

Said medical treatments don't work

"they" say your kid has ADHD

"they" issue stronger medical treatments

Said medical treatments don't work

Now they are diagnosing kids with O.D.D. (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) read up on it

I know how to fix it... !@#$ whoopin every now and then v. "time out"....

send a kid to their room... where the TV, DVD, Computer, Cell phone, and every other item them kids owns is..

Why not bust their !@#$ , give em some time to think about, throw on some extra chores

and before little suzie/johnny smith decides to screw up... they'll think.... naw... not worth it in the long run.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You can copy and paste random crap you found online all day long. Fact remains you advocated BEATING CHILDREN.

This usually indicates low self esteem based on a poor education, lack of power in daily life, dead end job, etc.

People that beat kids get a feeling of power and control that they dont in daily life.

It doesnt teach the child respect. It teaches them fear.
    03-15-10 01:58 PM
    I am 23 years old and I got spanked as a child. It didnt affect me in a negative way at all.... I got in trouble, i got spanked. I learned not to do whatever i did to get in trouble again.... I had rules I had to follow. I didnt get a cell phone till I was 16 years old and driving, and even then, I had to pay for it, so that meant getting a job....

I dont have kids yet, but when I do, I will spank my kids if they need to be punished.
    03-15-10 02:05 PM
    You can copy and paste random crap you found online all day long. Fact remains you advocated BEATING CHILDREN.

This usually indicates low self esteem based on a poor education, lack of power in daily life, dead end job, etc.

People that beat kids get a feeling of power and control that they dont in daily life.

It doesnt teach the child respect. It teaches them fear.

My good sir, you have no clue who i am, what i advocate or anything about me... one more lash out and i will personally see that this ever post of yours on here gets reported. Personal attacks, which includes making false judgement calls against someone....

I am in no means a "pusher" of abuse either physical or verbal.

I lost a cousin, she was 21 and pregnant, i was 18 fresh out of high school at the time, to domestic violence. i however to understand some kids get the picture with time outs, and some do not. and not all two kids work the same way.

now if you want to continue the attacks please continue.... you are proving my point exactly...

either with a hand or words..... abuse is abuse. attacks are attacks.

and as i stated earlier i worked with the middle/lower to lower class children for 3 solid years, as a volunteer. I am approved by the State of Ohio as a child safety worker, i've seen the kids that need a spanking, i've seen the kids that need a time out.... and most importantly, and sadly i've see what happens to kids that get a time out and need a **** whopping.

I have numerous factoids behind my name that remain the fact that some kids need their **** busted and some do not. I never once said "beat a kid"... i said spank their ****.. you are taking my words out of context and using them for your benefit.

Last edited by mjneid; 03-15-10 at 02:16 PM.
    03-15-10 02:11 PM
    I am 23 years old and I got spanked as a child. It didnt affect me in a negative way at all.... I got in trouble, i got spanked. I learned not to do whatever i did to get in trouble again.... I had rules I had to follow. I didnt get a cell phone till I was 16 years old and driving, and even then, I had to pay for it, so that meant getting a job....

I dont have kids yet, but when I do, I will spank my kids if they need to be punished.
    Thanks for that post....

My **** was busted quite a few times as well.

03-15-10 02:12 PM
    I got beat when I was a kid and did wrong to , guess I deserved it they said I did at the time of the beating
    03-15-10 02:14 PM
    also... just to add a little. I never lost respect for my parents. I actually respected them more for punishing me. I never once thought about calling the cops or thinking it was child abuse. It was the way a child should be raised. To many kids these days are being pampered and babied. And they are the future of this country.....
    03-15-10 02:15 PM
    My mom would never do something like that because she trusts me enough. I think that if any parent would do something like that, they need to work on their relationship with their child instead of trying to invade their privacy, and wasting their time online.
    03-15-10 02:19 PM
    Oh good grief! A little disipline is sometimes needed. They used to paddle in school , and kids treated teachers with a modicum of respect. Neighbors were allowed to spank, and we didn't have half the problems we have today. I commend the OP for wanting to utilize every tool available.

Agreed.

I'm a hard-*** when it comes to kids. Parents today are too nice and try to be their kids' "friends" rather than their "parents". It's stupid. The kids grow up being disrespectful, combative, and spoiled.

I'll tell you, when I'm in the store and I have to hear a screaming little booger for 30 minutes straight, all I can think is that a few spanks on the **** would teach that toadler some discipline. Of course, the mommy's too busy using "gentle discipline". Pft - like that works. Children don't know anything about respect and you need to teach it to them in a "tough love" manner if you ever want them to turn out right.

If parents actually stepped up and did their JOB until their kids turn 18, the world would be a better place.
    People wonder why kids these days are so screwed up? Stop blaming the media and look at the parents. There's your answer.

/rant. And yes, I hate today's kids.
    Last edited by Artemis68; 03-15-10 at 02:24 PM.
    03-15-10 02:22 PM
    @PeterD

Spanking is not "beating" a child. Just thought I'd make that clear.

I am fine when a kid gets spanked normally, only on the bum and nothing permanent. Beating a child is never okay. That's child abuse.
    03-15-10 02:23 PM
    also... just to add a little. I never lost respect for my parents. I actually respected them more for punishing me. I never once thought about calling the cops or thinking it was child abuse. It was the way a child should be raised. To many kids these days are being pampered and babied. And they are the future of this country.....
    WHAT !?!?!?!

someone spanked their kid! ! ! !

and their kid RESPECTS their parents more ?! ?! ?!

but "THEY" say thats not possible

are you sure about that ?!?!

03-15-10 02:26 PM
    @PeterD

Spanking is not "beating" a child. Just thought I'd make that clear.

I am fine when a kid gets spanked normally, only on the bum and nothing permanent. Beating a child is never okay. That's child abuse.
    agreed.... Spanking implys the hind quarters....

Beating = abuse.

03-15-10 02:27 PM
    I feel its my job as a parent to monitor what they are doing. Until they are grown and out my house. So I say call Verizon and see if there is a way....

03-15-10 02:27 PM
    Agreed.

I'm a hard-*** when it comes to kids. Parents today are too nice and try to be their kids' "friends" rather than their "parents". It's stupid. The kids grow up being disrespectful, combative, and spoiled.

I'll tell you, when I'm in the store and I have to hear a screaming little booger for 30 minutes straight, all I can think is that a few spanks on the **** would teach that toadler some discipline. Of course, the mommy's too busy using "gentle discipline". Pft - like that works. Children don't know anything about respect and you need to teach it to them in a "tough love" manner if you ever want them to turn out right.

If parents actually stepped up and did their JOB until their kids turn 18, the world would be a better place.
    People wonder why kids these days are so screwed up? Stop blaming the media and look at the parents. There's your answer.

you are man/woman after my own heart ! ! ! !

03-15-10 02:29 PM
    Which is why you'll end up decrepid, bitter, and complaining that this generation doesn't do enough by the time you're in a home, ******** about absolutely anything and everything. Bitterness and stereotyping will get you absolutely nowhere. You cannot say 'every child of this generation is disrespectful' because there's just absolutely no basis, proof, or fact in this statement.
    03-15-10 02:30 PM
    Eh, I was spanked as a child too. I didn't think it was that bad.

At that young age, really, the only way you get them to learn what's right/wrong is some good old classical conditioning.

I understand now that I'm older what's right/wrong and the morals and reasons and such, but at that age, I don't think I could. And nor could any other kid. They don't have the capacity to understand. So that's why a little spank is needed.

The first time I got spanked was because I made a mad dash for the busy street. I got spanked hard and I cried. But you know what? I didn't go near that street again. Probably saved my life!

What if I was told.."honey, don't go near that street! cars are BAD and they will give you a boo-boo." Highly doubt I would have heeded that advice.
    03-15-10 02:31 PM
    Which is why you'll end up decrepid, bitter, and complaining that this generation doesn't do enough by the time you're in a home, ******** about absolutely anything and everything. Bitterness and stereotyping will get you absolutely nowhere. You cannot say 'every child of this generation is disrespectful' because there's just absolutely no basis, proof, or fact in this statement.
    Good sir, I said I hate today's "kids". I didn't say that I will hate tomorrow's "adults". That reminds to be seen.

Here's to hoping that they'll actually grow up right into productive adults.

And yes, most children are ungrateful, annoying, and a chore to be around.

By the way, I am 20 and am still considered a "kid" by many standards. And I still can't stand my generation. What a mess.
    03-15-10 02:34 PM
    Sounds pretty stereotypical to me.

I don't worry about todays kid.... ignorance is pure bliss.

I just think it's funny that they blare rap music out of their little fast and furious Honda and think they have a "rot rod"....

03-15-10 02:35 PM
    I was spanked with bare hands, belts and wooden spoons as a kid...my youngest brother was given timeouts and stern talkings too.....he has been arrested numerious times I have never been in trouble with the law!!

just my 2cents!! lol
    03-15-10 02:38 PM
    I was spanked with bare hands, belts and wooden spoons as a kid...my youngest brother was given timeouts and stern talkings too.....he has been arrested numerious times I have never been in trouble with the law!!

just my 2cents!! lol
    same here! leather belt, rulers, wooden spoons, the paddle in the principles office, and bare hand..... never have been in trouble with the law. I even once got smacked across the face because I smarted off to my mother. Never again did I smart off....
    03-15-10 02:49 PM
    Eh, I was spanked as a child too. I didn't think it was that bad.

At that young age, really, the only way you get them to learn what's right/wrong is some good old classical conditioning.

I understand now that I'm older what's right/wrong and the morals and reasons and such, but at that age, I don't think I could. And nor could any other kid. They don't have the capacity to understand. So that's why a little spank is needed.

The first time I got spanked was because I made a mad dash for the busy street. I got spanked hard and I cried. But you know what? I didn't go near that street again. Probably saved my life!

What if I was told.."honey, don't go near that street! cars are BAD and they will give you a boo-boo." Highly doubt I would have heeded that advice.
    WHAT!!?!?!? another one

someone who was spanked and lived to tell about it ?!?!

must be 12-12-2012 ! ! !

*runs around franticly*

03-15-10 02:50 PM
    Hello folks,

First time to post here.

I have a for all you parents or whoever can answer my questions. I have my BB through my work. service is AT&T. My 15yr old daughter has hers through verizon. is there a way to geta copy of her text messages to my phone or email. This has been a touchy subject with her and our family and i know you got to let them go sooner or later. Just concerned is all.

Thanks all
    A
    The key to this is HONESTY. There are programs that 'run in the background'. Tell her that you are going to install one of these programs that monitor her sms. It is not an ''invasion'' if you and her have an agreement. It helps that the program runs in the background because out of sight, out of mind. If it makes her feel better, you can tell her that monitoring is because you care.

Also you can tell her that monitoring is part of being an adult. Cctv is in your office, your boss has access to all your emails. In three years when she starts to work, there will be even more cctvs. If her boyfriend wants to send private messages to her, that is perfectly understandable. he can get her phone with an unlimited messaging plan very cheaply.

Thoughts anyone?

who knows, she might already be on THIS forum reading/monitoring YOUR messages
    03-15-10 03:03 PM
    Agreed.

If parents actually stepped up and did their JOB until their kids turn 18, the world would be a better place. People wonder why kids these days are so screwed up? Stop blaming the media and look at the parents. There's your answer.

Exactly. Parents need to be parents.
    03-15-10 03:20 PM
    Okay I'm 34 my son is 7, and already he has asked us (me and the wife) when is he getting a blackberry (that's the only phone he's seen in the house... yeah I'm a crackberry junkie, so what). Many talk about todays kids and how it was back in our days, and to be honest I've done quite a few things I'd never want my parents to find out I ever did. That being said times change people don't we didn't have all the cool gadgets that exist now yet we did things our parents didn't think were okay by yesterdays standards. If your child isn't paying for the cell phone by all means check up on everything but at least let them know, they just might decide they don't want it under those conditions. As an adult nothing hurts more when you find someone snooping in on you because they didn't trust you, and you weren't honestly doing anything to betray there trust to begin with. I hung out with the bad crowd and never did I smoke or drink with them in high school, my moms didn't like it but I gave no issues in school, grades were fine, and always home on time. I'm scared for my son who is only seven since things are very different from my days growing up, with things being so accessible now. So it is MY job as a parent that I ensure I give him the tools to make the right decisions, and to always look at the big picture. Yes I need to protect my son from the dangers that lurk, but I also need to believe in myself and the job that I'm doing as a parent that he will make the right choices and if he doesn't that he can come to us and talk about it with out feeling he's going to be judged. There is a fine line between snooping and protecting your child! That's just my 2 cents
    03-15-10 03:21 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD