This year, I moved to a new college apartment and the building gets NO cell service. (I'd like to blame Verizon but it effects all carriers, except occasionally AT&T.) Some have sidestepped the issue by buying phones, particularly BlackBerries, that have WiFi and connecting to the building's wireless network; however, any of us on Verizon know how kind they are to have left that option out.

My question is if it's possible to somehow put WiFi in my Storm? If so, is there any information on how/where to do so, how much it costs, and if it is potentially risky to the phone? Thanks!
    09-12-09 06:53 PM
    This year, I moved to a new college apartment and the building gets NO cell service. (I'd like to blame Verizon but it effects all carriers, except occasionally AT&T.) Some have sidestepped the issue by buying phones, particularly BlackBerries, that have WiFi and connecting to the building's wireless network; however, any of us on Verizon know how kind they are to have left that option out.

My question is if it's possible to somehow put WiFi in my Storm? If so, is there any information on how/where to do so, how much it costs, and if it is potentially risky to the phone? Thanks!
    Those microSD's were rumored to have built in wifi but I heard those don't work well with blackberrys and work with WinMo phones. Storm 2 is coming out soon.
    09-12-09 06:57 PM
    you must of missed the tutorial on enabiling wifi on the storm. I will post it again only this once.

from the home screen hit the BB button>options>mobile network>show keyboard>type out enable wifi>select the wifi network you want to use>select yes to save>reboot storm

wait for it.........................

Then after it reboots hit the Manage Network Connections button and guess what. You still wont have wifi because the hardware is not in the storm 1. And those wifi memory cards do not have the correct drivers for them to work with a BB.
    Last edited by paulwright1; 09-12-09 at 08:38 PM.
    09-12-09 07:04 PM
    Haha. Made my night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 07:07 PM
    you must of missed the tutorial on enabiling wifi on the storm. I will post it again only this once.

from the home screen hit the BB button>options>mobile network>show keyboard>type out enable wifi>select the wifi network you want to use>select yes to save>reboot storm

then after reboot you will still not have wifi because the hardware is not on the storm 1. And those wifi memory cards do not have the correct drivers for them to work with a BB.
    *hardware is not enabled

09-12-09 07:10 PM
    *hardware is not enabled

you keep telling yourself that. Please show the proof if its in there. Dont just go on what others have said provide proof.
    09-12-09 07:17 PM
    read my sig.
    09-12-09 07:51 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/no...4/index20.html

There is some educational reference I found by searching around a bit.
    09-12-09 07:58 PM
    09-12-09 08:11 PM
    okay, its a storm on a router...doesnt mean the storm has wifi. it just happens to be posing on a router.
    09-12-09 08:25 PM

then after reboot you will still not have wifi because the hardware is not on the storm 1. And those wifi memory cards do not have the correct drivers for them to work with a BB.
    HAHAHA! That post needs to be made into a thread and stickied!!!!
    09-12-09 08:27 PM
    okay, its a storm on a router...doesnt mean the storm has wifi. it just happens to be posing on a router.

that was suppose to be funny. "wifi on storm" nevermind
    09-12-09 08:32 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/no...4/index20.html

There is some educational reference I found by searching around a bit.
    just because someone says something on the interwebz does not mean it is fact. Like I said earlier, until someone can show proof of this so called chip being wifi capable I will still not believe it until I see it. I sure hope you dont believe everything thats posted on the internet especially wikipedia since anyone can change what that site says.
    09-12-09 08:36 PM
    missed the joke
    09-12-09 08:36 PM
    I found it funny!!!! just so you know!
    09-12-09 08:41 PM
    that was suppose to be funny. "wifi on storm" nevermind
    Lol. I was in a bad mood when I saw it. "Storm on Wifi". yeah...
    09-12-09 08:48 PM
    Now that's just classic

09-12-09 11:42 PM
    There is a way to increase your coverage using a femtocell:

verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell

But, you need a broadband connection AND it costs $250. Apparently it works for situations like yours, but some of the reviews are less than glowing:

dslreports.com/shownews/New-Verizon-Femtocell-Service-Is-A-Bad-Joke-100473

It seems ridiculous for them to even charge for this thing since you are basically expanding their network to dead zones for them using YOUR internet connection.
    09-13-09 09:30 AM
    Storm 1 with WiFi?? I thought only Storm 2 would have WiFi...?
    09-13-09 10:38 AM
    Verizon's femtocell solution doesn't support data last I checked. They night have updated that, though, but last I read it was voice only.

09-13-09 11:13 AM
    You do know that if you recalibrate the Kanuten Valve located behind the Muffler Bearing on the main board, you can indeed activate the WiFi on the Storm. I did it and in works great. I now get free WiFi where ever I go. I love my Storm.
    09-13-09 11:21 AM
    You do know that if you recalibrate the Kanuten Valve located behind the Muffler Bearing on the main board, you can indeed activate the WiFi on the Storm. I did it and in works great. I now get free WiFi where ever I go. I love my Storm.
    Suuuuuure.
    09-13-09 12:55 PM
    Storm 1 with WiFi?? I thought only Storm 2 would have WiFi...?
    You are correct.
    09-13-09 12:56 PM
    Verizon's femtocell solution doesn't support data last I checked. They night have updated that, though, but last I read it was voice only.

I think it's the same as getting a regular cell tower signal so that your phone will do whatever it can usually do with a good cell signal: voice, texting, data.
    09-13-09 03:21 PM
    I think it's the same as getting a regular cell tower signal so that your phone will do whatever it can usually do with a good cell signal: voice, texting, data.
    there is NO data support with these range extenders. They only do voice. Kind of like VOIP service. You will not get a better 3G connection
    09-13-09 06:56 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD