So maybe the OP didn't exactly strike a blow for all RIMkind, but I think he makes a good point; he didn't do anything but ask about a 9930 and this first thing the guy asks in response is about an Android. That would lead me to assume that if someone came into the store, uninformed and looking for something new, that guy wouldn't mention a BlackBerry if his life depended on it.

We know their comission is there and all reps do this, but the point stands that RIM is kinda getting d*cked. It's not like there's a rule against sales people trying to persaude someone one way or another since that is what they do for a living though.
    I'm a Blackberry fan, but if I worked in sales for Verizon or AT&T I wouldn't mention Blackberry either. Their products right now are outdated and underwhelming, and I'd be doing a customer a huge disservice by suggesting that they sign a 2-year contract for a device like the 9930/9900.
    02-09-12 09:45 AM
    And yet, if you walked into a store and the guy recommended BlackBerry, neither you nor the OP would be complaining about "biasing," so let's not pretend this is a fight against bad behavior anymore than it is a fight against different preferences.
    They would if they specifically asked to look at an iPhone or Droid and the sales rep "laughed sarcastically".
    The fact is that sales reps should keep there opinions to themselves, when a customer asks for something specific, unless asked.
    02-09-12 10:20 AM
    How do you laugh sarcastically?

When I worked at VZW I turned people away from the Storm 1 because it had so many returns.

I wouldn't recommend a BlackBerry to anyone unless they specifically wanted a keyboard, LED light and small device.
    02-09-12 10:23 AM
    How do you laugh sarcastically?

When I worked at VZW I turned people away from the Storm 1 because it had so many returns.

I wouldn't recommend a BlackBerry to anyone unless they specifically wanted a keyboard, LED light and small device.
    Not my words - " "
    I know you are smart enough to understand what the OP meant by it.
    02-09-12 10:32 AM
    I'm a Blackberry fan, but if I worked in sales for Verizon or AT&T I wouldn't mention Blackberry either. Their products right now are outdated and underwhelming, and I'd be doing a customer a huge disservice by suggesting that they sign a 2-year contract for a device like the 9930/9900.
    And there you are making my point precisely. Ultimately, you are immediately pushing your opinion. Who are you to determine for them something is underwhelming? What you feel is right is dead wrong to me, but this subject is as pointless to debate as politics or religion. It probably is next to impossible for someone to give an equal number of positive statements about each available platform without verbally tipping the scales toward something they themselves would prefer, but the fact it is done so often without being asked what they as a salesman personally think is the whole point here. No matter though.
    02-09-12 10:36 AM
    I was in Curry's in the UK today and went in to look at the newer BB phones. Must say I was very pleasantly surprised. The guy there not only knew what he was talking about but pulled out his own blackberry to demo OS7 on it!

Told me that he didn't have a playbook and told him he really needed one!
    02-09-12 10:38 AM
    It's the salespersons job to qualify the customer and offer advice.

That's what they do. If the customer came in knowing what they wanted, they don't need the salesperson.

If a customer comes in, knows what they want, and engages the salesperson, then it's probably just a discussion about phones. Not a pitch.
    02-09-12 10:41 AM
    I was in Curry's in the UK today and went in to look at the newer BB phones. Must say I was very pleasantly surprised. The guy there not only knew what he was talking about but pulled out his own blackberry to demo OS7 on it!

Told me that he didn't have a playbook and told him he really needed one!
    Ultimately it comes down to if you use a product every day you will know it well so you can sell it. For most people that is iPhone and Android. Maybe RIM should start giving Sales Reps free PB (not just Dev). Still even doing that wont solve the problem. The rep themselves have to be motivated to go and research and use the product.

I dont blame the reps. With few exceptions, they are just blindly selling what most people are blindly buying...
    02-09-12 10:41 AM
    but it is priceless how the androids couldn't stop themselves from posting and liking one another...
    Androids? That's allowed no? I mean, there's even a button for it.

Is it not more priceless how some can't express their opinion without throwing in a sophomoric insult of some sort?
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-09-12 at 11:03 AM.
    02-09-12 10:42 AM
    Quick and simple. I went to Verizon store today to look at the 9930. The guy asked me why I was looking at a blackberry phone and not android or iphone. I told him they were the best phones on the market. He laughed sarcastically.... Whiched pissed me off. He asked why they were the best on the market. I went into my spill about battery life, communication, keyboard, etc. he backed down very quick as I made him feel like an a$$. he was like oh I just recommend android because I like them. Should have seen how polite he was to me. So next time you go to your local Verizon store don't let them talk down about the blackberry.... We are the last of a dying breed. Looking forward to see what bb10 will do for RIM and the cell phone market.
    I wasn't there, but maybe you were overtly aggressive, and he decided that the job wasn't worth someone going postal in the store. Particularly over his choice of cell phones.

Let's all strike a cord for civility folks and put an end to some of this foolishness.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-09-12 at 10:57 AM.
    02-09-12 10:48 AM
    Androids? That's allowed no? I mean, there's even a button for it.

Is it not more priceless is how some can't express their opinion without throwing in a sophomoric insult of some sort?
    Oh come on now. Everyone has been very polite in not mentioning the OP doesn't know when to use there and their.
    02-09-12 10:51 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD