Ok first of all I have to say this, yes my phone is unlocked, also, if you don't know what an IMSI (not IMEI) is, then you probably can't help me...

I have a Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630. I put a SIM card in my phone from a GSM base station that is completely isolated from any cell towers or other networks. With this other SIM in my phone I was still able to access my Sprint network AND make a phone call using my Sprint subscriber data! WTF. I thought the SIM card carried the subscription information.

So my question... How can I access the sprint network, make a phone call with my subscription info(IMSI and phone number), with a SIM card that has a different IMSI code?

Is my Sprint IMSI cashed in the phone somewhere?

I am curious about this but this all leads to another underlying issue:
    If I go international and do not get the international plan with sprint, then turn my phone on(for the time and alarm functions only), is it going to roam and therefore charge me for any phone(SMS) or data(BBM) usage because I had messages cached while I was flying over and then they got sent to me when I turned the phone on?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
    03-12-10 08:44 AM
    Maybe if you try to change your mobile network settings to GSM/UMTS it will read off the sim only? I know in CDMA phones/carriers anything else defaults to your CDMA service.
    03-12-10 08:56 AM
    CDMA devices don't need SIMs to work. Your Tour has it for hybrid network use when out of the country and roaming on GSM carriers. You'll need to force the connection to GSM as per the post above to get it to work.
    03-12-10 09:28 AM
    Yeah I just tried that, I pulled the SIM completely out and it still worked too. So my other question, just to make sure... If I don't get an international plan on my phone and I go to say China(where they have CDMA), my phone is NOT going to work right?
    03-12-10 10:14 AM
    Maybe if you try to change your mobile network settings to GSM/UMTS it will read off the sim only? I know in CDMA phones/carriers anything else defaults to your CDMA service.
    good info. have you changed the setting over to use the gsm network and not cdma?
    03-12-10 10:50 AM
    I have a Tour 9630 through Sprint and I use an AT&T Sim card. However I must change the mobile network that the phone is connecting through to use GSM/UMTS to connect to AT&T. Otherwise the phone will always default to Sprint.
    I turn my data service off when I switch as well....I'd hate to get any kind of charge through AT&T when I don't have data on that line.

K
    03-12-10 11:03 AM
    There's a setting in the phone's options, it's Options, Mobile Network, Network Technology, GSM/UMTS (Change it from Global or 1XEV)
    03-12-10 11:19 AM
    Yeah, when I switch to GSM/UMTS it reads off the SIM card only.
    03-12-10 11:23 AM
    Yeah I just tried that, I pulled the SIM completely out and it still worked too. So my other question, just to make sure... If I don't get an international plan on my phone and I go to say China(where they have CDMA), my phone is NOT going to work right?
    No, if it's a place with a CDMA network it won't work without an international plan.
    03-12-10 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD