A month ago BB was offering Z10 for employees and their family for $100. I missed out on it but was hoping they would offer it again so I could replace my wife's curve.

Now it they offered it for $50 I would feel it would be flushing that money down the toilet. Why? BB has made very public their intention to depart the hardware business. If you are a developer, what kind of time & resources will you put into BB products? It's like developing for the Playbook (Titanic), no future or money in it. So the apps I use on another device that I must have will never see the light of day on BB.

I'm afraid the Z30 will be a similar tale to the Palm Pre 3...

I feel terrible for the local KW economy but BB more or less told me they are going the way of the Dodo and my small contribution will not save them.
    10-01-13 07:27 AM
    A month ago BB was offering Z10 for employees and their family for $100. I missed out on it but was hoping they would offer it again so I could replace my wife's curve.

Now it they offered it for $50 I would feel it would be flushing that money down the toilet. Why? BB has made very public their intention to depart the hardware business. If you are a developer, what kind of time & resources will you put into BB products? It's like developing for the Playbook (Titanic), no future or money in it. So the apps I use on another device that I must have will never see the light of day on BB.

I feel terrible for the local KW economy but BB more or less told me they are going the way of the Dodo and my small contribution will not save them.
    There are plenty of (well, some) people still rocking the Pre 3. It's the same age as the 9810, and plenty of (well, some) people are still happy with that. No doubt plenty of (well, some) people will still be rocking their Z10s and Q10s in two year's time.
    10-01-13 07:31 AM
    But they aren't exiting the hardware business????

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    kfh227 and russworman like this.
    10-01-13 07:32 AM
    Erm isn't it an internal employee incentive to be able to buy the company's products at a discount? In where I work, I know Harvey Norman gave regional discounts (a friend works for Harvey Norman in Australia, came to Harvey Norman Malaysia, and gets discount), and the example goes on and on and on. (Even Intel in Malaysia gives a limited discount at limited items)

And secondly, you can claim that BBRY will be leaving the business, and many can even claim "THERE'S THE WRITING ON THE WALL!".

I haven't heard of , nor read of any announcement by BlackBerry that says "we quit", in its literal sense. (conservative reading)
    Alphax45 likes this.
    10-01-13 07:39 AM
    But they aren't exiting the hardware business????

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    "With BlackBerry's change in strategy now very public, we believe that operators, distributors, consumers and enterprise customers and partners will quickly drop their support bor BlackBerry and look at alternatives" Stuart Jeffrey Analyst at Nomura quoted in the Kitchener-Waterloo Record this morning. Nothing but bad news...

BlackBerry acquisition could be done at a lower price, suggest analysts
    10-01-13 07:40 AM

As far as I'm concerned, I'll wait until the dust settles before I grab a shovel and start throwing dirt on an empty grave marked BlackBerry.......and I use all platforms, so, I post as a consumer and not a fanboi. It is still a personal choice whether to purchase a BlackBerry or not. The Z10 is still a solid device and supported by carriers - which should be confirmed before you purchase. As far as apps, sideload whatever is available. That hasn't changed and I don't see that changing anytime soon.. Good Luck.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-01-13 07:40 AM
    Who told you about BlackBerry leaving the hardware sector?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-01-13 07:49 AM
    The Z30 will be the last BlackBerry ever made.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 07:52 AM
    Who told you about BlackBerry leaving the hardware sector?
    Posted via CB10
    “We believe this transaction will open an exciting new private chapter for BlackBerry, its customers, carriers and employees,” Fairfax chairman and chief executive Prem Watsa said in a statement.

“We can deliver immediate value to shareholders, while we continue the execution of a long-term strategy in a private company with a focus on delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions to BlackBerry customers around the world.”

They wrote off 1.44 BILLION in unsold inventory and BB report shows they only are making money on BES and services... put 2 and 2 together.
    10-01-13 07:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't says that there will be no BBRY devices, even if its not made in-house.

“We believe this transaction will open an exciting new private chapter for BlackBerry, its customers, carriers and employees,” Fairfax chairman and chief executive Prem Watsa said in a statement.

“We can deliver immediate value to shareholders, while we continue the execution of a long-term strategy in a private company with a focus on delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions to BlackBerry customers around the world.”

And since BB report shows they only are making money on BES and services... put 2 and 2 together.
    Aha, inductive logic!

Hmm, I remember a statement from somebody working for BlackBerry in the UK saying otherwise, and that thread about "no new phones until march".

So...? How are they leaving the hardware business then?
    10-01-13 08:01 AM
    Let's wait until prem watsa officially issue a statement and confirm that they will leave the hardware sector nuff of speculation,

other than that I will enjoy my z..

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:03 AM
    Nobody really knows where BB will be in six months or a year. A deal needs to get done, some new people need to be brought in and the trash needs to be taken out. Then they can see if there is anything that can be done to relaunch BB10 (very doubtful), or if they could try existing as a niche device (only for a short time), or to drop hardware and concentrate on "services" (not sure that is a long term proposition either, especially without hardware - BES10 is not a very good option of managing iOS or Android devices, it has to use 3rd party software to do it... very expensive), or start shutting it all down and see who might be interested in the difference pieces (gets them the most bang for the buck with the least risk)

I do think I smell something burning....
    webosdropout likes this.
    10-01-13 08:15 AM
    Let's wait until prem watsa officially issue a statement and confirm that they will leave the hardware sector nuff of speculation,
    If analysts are saying it, isn't it analysis rather than speculation?
    10-01-13 08:15 AM
    Is the analyst incharge of BlackBerry now? does he have the final blow?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:19 AM
    Leaving hardware business? BS! Prem Watsa has stated on numerous occasions, one as recently as a few days ago, that BlackBerry will remain as it stands, including as a hardware manufacturer, but the focus will shift back to a priority on enterprise.
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 10-01-13 at 08:33 AM.
    10-01-13 08:22 AM
    "With BlackBerry's change in strategy now very public, we believe that operators, distributors, consumers and enterprise customers and partners will quickly drop their support bor BlackBerry and look at alternatives" Stuart Jeffrey Analyst at Nomura quoted in the Kitchener-Waterloo Record this morning. Nothing but bad news...

BlackBerry acquisition could be done at a lower price, suggest analysts
    Hey may believe that but apparently governments don't.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...communications

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 08:27 AM
    Is the analyst incharge of BlackBerry now? does he have the final blow?

Posted via CB10
    Analyst spewing their garbage is half the reason the media is always bad mouthing BlackBerry, which removing these horrible ticks is probably the intention of taking BlackBerry private. Life is healthier without ticks..
    10-01-13 08:27 AM
    Not quite done, more like medium rare, I know what you mean OP, but $50 a waste for a Z10 is quite extreme, its BlackBerry that's unreliable, their phones are still great, compared to any other platform, its still holds its own. BlackBerry as a brand has lost credibility, doesn't mean in any way that their products are rubbish!
    Arny cua likes this.
    10-01-13 08:34 AM
    Analyst spewing their garbage is half the reason the media is always bad mouthing BlackBerry, which removing these horrible ticks is probably the intention of taking BlackBerry private. Life is healthier without ticks..
    I couldn't disagree more. While their opinions may or may not be garbage, analysts all need to work off of some data. And the data -- bleeding half a billion in cash, a $1 billion write-down, etc. -- comes straight from Waterloo. If the data were different, the analysts' opinions would obviously be different. Just because you will no longer see the data doesn't mean it won't still stink. It will only mean that you won't hear about it.
    MazoMark likes this.
    10-01-13 08:34 AM
    There are plenty of (well, some) people still rocking the Pre 3. It's the same age as the 9810, and plenty of (well, some) people are still happy with that. No doubt plenty of (well, some) people will still be rocking their Z10s and Q10s in two year's time.
    The OP is talking about new buyers. You are talking about existing owners.
    10-01-13 08:45 AM
    Not quite done, more like medium rare, I know what you mean OP, but $50 a waste for a Z10 is quite extreme, its BlackBerry that's unreliable, their phones are still great, compared to any other platform, its still holds its own. BlackBerry as a brand has lost credibility, doesn't mean in any way that their products are rubbish!
    Never implied the Z10 is garbage. Quite the contrary, I feel as a form factor, multi-tasking etc.. it's the best phone out there. But I've been down that road before (Palm, Playbook etc...) and tired of the same old, same old. At work we are issued iPhones. There are business & personal apps that I feel couldnt live without. There was hope some of these would be ported to BB as it grew in popularity.

My wife needs a new phone but I put myself in a developer's shoes. Do I want to spend time & resources in an uncertain platform? Especially if I've been burned by Palm & Playbook?

And please dont preach to me about side loading. If I wanted an Android app, I'll buy an Android device thank you very much.
    10-01-13 09:00 AM
    Reality as it stands in North America, anyone who is timed for an upgrade....chances are is not buying a BB device. Which is what will drive things down more. On new consumer side
    10-01-13 09:01 AM
    BS. Go spread your speculation somewhere else. I heard BB is bringing out a PC and a 10 and 15 inch playbook. Meh!
    Loc22 likes this.
    10-01-13 09:15 AM
    BS. Go spread your speculation somewhere else. I heard BB is bringing out a PC and a 10 and 15 inch playbook. Meh!
    So you spread more speculation. Doh
    Blacklatino and chopachain like this.
    10-01-13 09:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    I also heard the same rhetoric about the 9900/9930, the Z10,the Q10, the 9720, and the Q5.....
    10-01-13 09:26 AM
48 12