I wonder why Blackberry came out with that letter in newspapers globally? Are they losing subscribers due to the news that they may be broken up? I can only speculate but I have to think it's in response to losing substantial subscribers because of the uncertainity surrounding them.
    I think Blackberry should move away from the consumer market and focus solely on the their business portfolio. They should really be touting their security and questioning the wisdom of the BYOD to work. What Blackberry really should do is pose the question to Corporations do you really want to take a needless risk with BYOD to work? The Z10, Q10 and the Z30 are good devices, not saying their great devices for the consumer market but for the business segment there more than good. I know the consumer market is crazy about apps but are apps really necessary for the business market?
    10-15-13 03:52 PM
    My guess is since the last pre-earnings call disaster sales have dried up and customers are leaving in droves.

Its so sad, great product, great employees, management is pathetically unable to execute.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-13 04:03 PM
    Yeah, I think it was just an attempt at some form of media PR. They are losing interest as a brand because of the news that they are exploring strategic options.

To me, it meant they will still be making consumer devices , that's what I took from it.
    pcguy514 and Mr.mister like this.
    10-15-13 04:16 PM
    I don't know about anyone else but I have no confidence the company is going to survive. I guess they had to say something but will it help?
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-13 04:19 PM
    It's painful watching all of this transpire.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-15-13 04:23 PM
    I think the letter was absolutely necessary! It's damage control & I think people are leaving in droves, for the most part because of the cloud of uncertainty hovering over their heads which the management have accomplished all on their own. I agree with the above comment about a great OS & some great people working at BlackBerry but what they're experiencing is a trickle down effect of incapable management. All companies function from the top down & if the top is flawed, you only go so far or not at all. It's been clear for many months they need a shift in upper management & they need it now! They need a leader with a vision & the balls to execute. They don't need to leave the consumer market, they don't even have to thrive in it but how about being able to sell to people that actually prefer your product?! I myself am witnessing people leave because they're not sure about BlackBerry's future! They need to be proactive as opposed to reactive! Phones aside, watching this management team sink an iconic Canadian company is just plain sad. I'm also not so sure selling to the highest bidder is the answer either.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 04:58 PM
    They wrote the letter to reassure people they want to stick around and do what they need to succeed. I hear people on this site all the time asking to hear something about the company's plans for the future, so them answer with the letter. No that's not good enough, Thor didn't say it, or they don't mean it . I'm convinced there is nothing BlackBerry can do right for some. For me, I happy, it's a good step forward. Most people I talk to don't care about security, go figure, having Instagram or whatever popular apps are more important .

Posted via CB10
    badiyee, newcollector and pcguy514 like this.
    10-15-13 06:46 PM
    That letter was one part and attempt at stopping the bleeding and one part spin. The only thing that bothered me was that the very last words were not:

Thorsten Heins, Chief Executive Officer.

If you are trying to reassure your current and potential customers I don't think having an open letter generically signed "BlackBerry Team" does that.
    10-15-13 06:56 PM
    Maybe Thor is on the way out

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 07:06 PM
    I think having the "Team" sign it sends a much better message that coming from Thor and Frank and the rest of the Island of Misfit Management. They have zero credibility. Let some nameless, faceless Team sign it.

It won't matter anyway.
    newcollector and JeepBB like this.
    10-15-13 07:14 PM
    I think it's better that they acknowledged all the headlines that have been released about BlackBerry. And I like it that they reassured us that they're here to stay, despite of all things.

Posted via CB10
    newcollector and pcguy514 like this.
    10-15-13 07:20 PM
    probably a response to sales flat-lining
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-13 07:25 PM
    As much as one might not want to admit it, I think the letter was in response to an exodus not so much from the consumer market but the business market, which right now is Blackberry's bread and butter.
    I think the uncertan times have created an exodus.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-15-13 11:26 PM
    As much as one might not want to admit it, I think the letter was in response to an exodus not so much from the consumer market but the business market, which right now is Blackberry's bread and butter.
    I think the uncertan times have created an exodus.
    After the blackberry sell goes through and goes private instead of being chopped to pieces... we should see less uncertainty.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:03 AM
    After the blackberry sell goes through and goes private instead of being chopped to pieces... we should see less uncertainty.

Posted via CB10
    Yes less uncertainty, less of everything. No New hardware.
    Thunderbuck and JeepBB like this.
    10-16-13 03:34 AM
    My guess is since the last pre-earnings call disaster sales have dried up and customers are leaving in droves.

Its so sad, great product, great employees, management is pathetically unable to execute.

Posted via CB10
    Question is how many remain?

40 million blackberry users???
    30 million??
    20 million?
    10-16-13 04:11 AM
    Boulben confirmed this letter was aimed at businesses. He thought it the best way to reach out to those people. I see the reasoning behind it, I just guess it's about 6 months late, and contained too much transparent spin.

I get that they want to stay together as a company, but they won't have a choice when the new owners decide what's to happen.

I've been through a few big corporate buy outs. None of those companies exist today, even after the new owners gave iron clad assurances.
    10-16-13 05:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    If it goes private you won't see anything.
    You won't hear anything.
    And if you think that losses will be acceptable to a venture capital fund, you are misinformed.
    10-16-13 05:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Going private and being chopped to pieces are sadly not mutually exclusive

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 05:41 AM
    They just wanted to waste paper!

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:20 PM
    They just wanted to waste paper TIME!

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:22 PM
    Yes less uncertainty, less of everything. No New hardware.
    BlackBerry does have 4 new phones coming out next year if you remember correctly. They have said they are committed to being successful.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:45 PM
    They have said they are committed to being successful.

Posted via CB10
    You expected them to say "We're going to fail, and we're going to give you advanced warning"?? This is corporate spin of the highest order. Everyone is committed to being successful - only some attain it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-13 01:41 AM
    You expected them to say "We're going to fail, and we're going to give you advanced warning"?? This is corporate spin of the highest order. Everyone is committed to being successful - only some attain it.
    I will give them the benifit of the doubt that they will try to be successful. They may fail like anyone else. A lot of good things can happen and that is my hope and I'm sure others that work there. You have no way of knowing what will happen. If you think the worst will happen like others, then why not move on to something else? Good things can happen as well as bad things. I'm hoping for good things, that will work best for all concerned.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 11:08 AM
    They have said they are committed to being successful.

Posted via CB10
    ROFLMAO ^ oo

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-17-13 02:19 PM
31 12