11-18-18 04:59 AM
133 ... 456
tools
    Wow, so many words to say true... but, my statement was around notifications and geo positioning, e.g., - functions which are as close to Google with its services, as Trump is to russian ballet. The only common word is "russian", ahahah.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know that I was so much replying to your comments as to others. There were people who were basically saying that developers use Google Play Services because they're lazy.

As with many threads, this one has spread off into a few separate branches.
    01-02-18 03:38 PM
    Why don't devs sue apkmirror then?
    probably alot of reasons. One is that apkmirror is a sister site to one of the largest Android fan sites: Android Police. They also have deep ties to other sites like XDA. Could be devs don't think its worth it to make waves and not have their apps reviewed or the rage cannon of Android enthusiasts aimed at them. Apkmirror is pretty conscientious about only hosting verified files and no pay apps so one could say the harm to dev is minimal. Also on the ball with site security. They were the first app repository to my knowledge that scanned for and fixed the Janus app signing vulnerability once it got posted to Android fan sites.
    01-02-18 04:08 PM
    probably alot of reasons. One is that apkmirror is a sister site to one of the largest Android fan sites: Android Police. They also have deep ties to other sites like XDA. Could be devs don't think its worth it to make waves and not have their apps reviewed or the rage cannon of Android enthusiasts aimed at them. Apkmirror is pretty conscientious about only hosting verified files and no pay apps so one could say the harm to dev is minimal. Also on the ball with site security. They were the first app repository to my knowledge that scanned for and fixed the Janus app signing vulnerability once it got posted to Android fan sites.
    Plus, if a dev asks they can have their apps removed; I think Amazon took all of theirs down.
    01-02-18 04:11 PM
    Why don't devs sue apkmirror then?
    It's really not worth the time. We don't offer official support to anyone who got their app though other sources other than Google Play. We also have an "expiry date" put in our apps that require an internet connection; if you try to install an app too old or don't update regularly, you won't really be able to use our apps.

Same as Google not caring to block BB10 phones from downloading apps from Google play store even though it's against their terms of service. They know people are doing it, but it's not worth their time or money to prevent it or to sue guys who do it. APKmirror may be legit, but since we don't control the uploads there, it's still an unsupported source.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-02-18 05:47 PM
    "Secure" and "Open-sourced" do not "blend" together well....

Pun was not intended...
    Well, ok, it was.........
    Secure and open source go hand in hand having the source code to verify e verything is on the up and up is awesome.
    melhiore likes this.
    10-14-18 05:18 PM
    [QUOTE=james h jackson jr;13295122]Secure and open source go hand in hand having the source code to verify e verything is on the up and up is awesome.[/QUOTE vs not being able to verify things and just having to trust the corporation who wrote the code
    10-14-18 05:24 PM
    Secure and open source go hand in hand having the source code to verify e verything is on the up and up is awesome.
    https://www.infoworld.com/article/29...re-secure.html
    10-14-18 05:27 PM
    I wouldn't waste your breath. People who never worked with open source have that opinion. They never bothered to actually learn about OS and probably don't even realise that most of the Internet is running because of OS... For those people Linux is still a black console... :-D
    11-18-18 04:59 AM
133 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD