@reed

So should I set device limit to 5 or 12?

And after 2 days of use, file free goes to 0, and it doesn't seem to go back up, hence battery pull. How has yours stayed up??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 05:18 PM
    5 Mb is the preferred setting for Device Reserved Memory. There may be unusual media content that will fail to run in that amount of memory, but I have not encountered it myself, or reported by other members.

Your memory is shared between Sun Java (10 Mb) and Core Applications (30 Mb). That leaves about 24 Mb to share between your third party applications, data and workspace for the system.

I can not explain why you are consuming so much memory, but I can tell you most members are reporting normal function with 15 Mb after optimization.

I would suggest investigating your data with Options / Status. Menu / Database sizes. If your total database exceeds 1 Mb there may be space savings to achieve by reducing the amount of data you are using.

Third party applications are the next area to consider. Most have a small memory footprint, but something may be buffering an unusually large tempory file and consuming your available memory.
    09-27-09 08:00 PM
    My database size is 300 k.

As of typing this now, closing many apps and reopening and closing, I only have browser, messages, home, and phone, I already cleared all browser cache...which was all I used. The file free has gone down to 6 mb from 15. It won't go up...so what memory management feature are you talking about?

09-27-09 08:48 PM
    Edit: can't wap edit.

Without opening any apps, by the end of the day by just usong the bb AND clearing cache, the filefree is still down. Its as if as I'm operating, the mem goes down and doesn't restore

09-27-09 08:50 PM
    My database size is 300 k.

As of typing this now, closing many apps and reopening and closing, I only have browser, messages, home, and phone, I already cleared all browser cache...which was all I used. The file free has gone down to 6 mb from 15. It won't go up...so what memory management feature are you talking about?

Edit: can't wap edit.

Without opening any apps, by the end of the day by just usong the bb AND clearing cache, the filefree is still down. Its as if as I'm operating, the mem goes down and doesn't restore

Clearly, at 300 Kb, your data is not the source of your memory management problems. Memory Management is automatic in Sun Java VM, the heart of your device. It works in the background to free up available memory.

The fact that you are able to select 5 Mb for Device Memory Limit means you are using the upgraded v4.5xx software. That also means the pre installed sample image, video and music are not present and occupying memory.

15 Mb File Free implies you have roughly 10 Mb of third party applications installed. That, in itself, is not unusual, but it complicates the job of troubleshooting your memory management issues.

I would start by making a backup of your third party applications and Backup your data using BlackBerry Desktop Manger.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

You are now free to wipe the device, restoring it factory specs.

Options / Security Options / General Settings. Menu / Wipe Handheld.

This will purge all non-BlackBerry applications and data from your device. Check your File Free memory, it should be 20+ Mb.

Restore your Data and use it for a day in that conditon. Do not clear your Browser Cache or the Event Log. Check it after a day, you can expect to see about 2 Mb less then the maximum file free. That is normal.

Next, selectively re-install some of your third party themes and applications. If you note a dramatic change in the memory use, you have narrowed the range of potential applications that may be causing your unusual Memory conditions.
    09-28-09 10:35 AM
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have the same problem on my Bold that I've been using for about a year. I have to do as many as 4 battery pulls on days when I'm really using my BB. Sometimes there is nothing running other than the OEM apps plus maybe Pocket Informant. Sometimes not even that, & trying to take a few photos drives the memory down to 0.0. It starts at over 20MB after a battery pull. It's extremely frustrating. I have the latest OS on AT&T, so I know it's probably not the OS.

I'm thinking of going to an 8900 or the 9700 when it comes out, but something tells me it may not help much.

The only other thing I can think of is all of the little utilities I have running like:

Anagram
    CopyAll
    Fancy Characters
    Forward, Reply and Edit
    Phone Assistant
    REXconnect
    WeatherBug

Do these make a difference?

Any other ideas on how not use the memory so quickly? I even tried one of those memory recovery apps (Memory Refresh Elite) with very little noticeable difference.

[edited for typos]
    09-28-09 01:42 PM
    "RAM boosters" or whatever you'd call it do not do much, you are right on that one. There are several things, which might contribute to the never ending shrinking of the available memory on your BlackBerry. For me this meant to remove the Event Logger with Shrink-A-OS and ever since I had no issues with shrinking memory anymore. Please note that this is potentially dangerous to do and may or may not fix YOUR BlackBerry.
    09-28-09 01:49 PM
    So some friends have had better luck on an 8900 with the doubled memory. Will this make a BIG difference?
    09-28-09 02:10 PM
    Do yourself a favor and get a different blackberry. That will def solve your problem!
    09-28-09 02:27 PM
    This is all really strange to me, because on my 8330 with a handfull of 3rd party apps on it, I'm still running about 45 mb free after a battery pull, and I've never had it drop below 35mb free, and that's with BerryWeather running constantly in the background.

It's got to be something with the number of apps that you have loaded on your BB, mainly making sure that you're closing them all out properly. When you have an app open, and you're done using it, you need to hit "menu" then "close" to shut down the program. Pressing the red end button won't do this, it will send it to the "background" much like hitting the "minimize" button on a window on your PC will send it to the task bar, it doesn't shut it down, just hides it and lets it run without being on the main screen. There are a couple apps that are made to be run in the background, like weather apps, but you really should keep your open applications to a minimum if at all possible.

My GF has a 8130 which runs with 64mb total memory, and after loading OS 4.5 and getting rid of all the useless crap, she usually walks around with 21mb free memory after a pull, and it has never dropped below 17mb since she's had it... and that's with a handfull of 3rd party apps too...
    09-28-09 02:42 PM
    Everything's definitely closed. I switch on app switcher & only OEM apps are running:

Phone
    Home Screen
    Browser
    Visual Voice Mail
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Memory is 9.7MB.
    09-28-09 02:47 PM
    I just got a new refurb 9000 last week as well with the same problems, so it's not this particular 9000.
    09-28-09 02:48 PM
    That is not normal, not at all.

The only time you should have to resort to a battery pull, or use Quickpull, is to correct a device failure. Once or twice a year is normal.

What are the symptoms that are behind that?
    Once or twice a year this guy is tripping hardcore

09-28-09 03:05 PM
    This does seem to be a flaw with my Blackberry Storm, Quickpull at night and start out with about 25Mb, I have BB messengered once and looked at my email, and I am down to 15Mb. I got rid of everything I wasnt using, but I do have a few dumb games and what not but still, how did I use 10Mb of application memory on those two things today. I have friends with I Phones that dont have to quickpull the phones daily and they run tons of apps, seems wierd. But I should mention every one I know with an I Phone says thier cell phone service / network coverage sucks. When is Verizon going to get the I phone? I cant believe I just asked that!!!!
    Last edited by rdlisby; 09-28-09 at 03:24 PM.
    09-28-09 03:21 PM
    Well, the iPhone without multi-tasking shuts down the app when they exit, so it shouldn't have the kind of memory leak problems that we have on our multi-tasking BB's.
    09-28-09 03:23 PM
    But even if I dont start anything up, why would my App memory slowly decrease throughout the day. I realize weatherbug is opened automatically and email is pushed.... but doesnt it seem odd if I dont start anything else up my memory will decrease to a point it has to be "pulled".
    09-28-09 03:30 PM
    rdlisby,

That's the problem I'm having too. Memory just seems to vanish with little activity.

Tom
    09-28-09 03:51 PM
    Wow! I'm a Bold user and have a lot of apps on my phone. I even have MemoryUp Pro and I'm still pulling the battery several times a day. I'm a power user and couldn't get any work done if i didn't battery several times a day. I check memory and throughout the day "applications memory 0.0mb" Help!
    10-05-09 10:55 AM
    what OS are u running?
    10-05-09 11:02 AM
    gslivingston,

I just switched to an 8900 for the extra memory & am having good luck so far. It was an absolute pain switching over - I used the Device Switcher & brought everything over which wreaked havoc on the 8900. All the apps written for the 9000's screen size crashed the 8900 miserably. I finally had to download & install the apps fresh & then restore the data to each from backup. It was an absolute pain. The result? The 8900 has a slower processor so it's slightly less snappy than the 9000, & of course the screen is smaller so that is taking some time to get used to, but overall I'm not having the memory problems at all. I have Calendar, Pocket Informant, Browser, IdeaMatrix, ToDoMatrix, PodTrapper, BuzzMe Pro, BugMe!, REXconnect, Mobipocket Reader, Messages, & BlackBerry Messenger running right now with no battery pull for 12 hours or more with 96.6MB free. That's fantastic for me!
    10-05-09 11:04 AM
    Once or twice a year this guy is tripping hardcore

Same guy put together the Memory Optimization Procedure at:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Currently: 402,902 views.

I do know a thing or two about memory management, I stand by my 2/year claim.

My Curve is currently 3,347,346 seconds or 38+ days.

My Pearl just got a upgrade, and a restart. I will update in 6 months.
    10-05-09 11:07 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD