now first off understand that i don't want an iphone as my phone. i have an iPod touch that i am considering trading + cash for an iphone 3g to use it's built in GPS with xGPS.

my question is who would think this was a wise idea as opposed to just buying a puck. I figure it would probably save me maybe 10 or 20 dollars to do the iPhone trade. However with just xGPS available as a third party mapping solution i'm not too sold on the idea.

what all apps are out there that allow you to save maps to your media card so you are not having to download maps all the time?

thanks for the advice ahead of time.
    03-26-09 07:31 PM
    MobileGMaps (not google) and Trekbuddy.

I don't know anything about iphones. Can you use its gps without service/contract?
    03-27-09 12:13 AM
    doesnt the 8330 have GPS built in?
    03-27-09 12:27 AM
    f2, yes you can use GPS on 3g without service/contract. thanks for your app suggestions!

tbrenn, yes, however verizon restricts it to just VZNavigator.
    03-27-09 10:48 PM
    Telus used to do that... But I've found once I get a signal through BB maps, then switch to google maps, and it works great, compared to just google maps that will only find me within 1600m iff it can't use GPS,

Buggers at VZW... I thought telus was lame..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 10:51 PM
    VZW and ATT are knows to lock standard features on phones to force you to pay for their software. That would by why i have t-mobile. I would just suggest getting the puck.
    03-28-09 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD