I've noticed a few members actually posting their PIN numbers which can be seen as the last line beneath their carrier. Isn't that something one would want to keep confidential or am I missing something here?

Who can tell me the advantages and disadvantages of doing either?
    12-27-08 08:37 AM
    Alot of people post their PIN here, i prefer not to as i have seen alot of issues from doing so. BBM is nice as to when you delete a contact, they just can't keep sending you messages like SMS...
    12-27-08 08:46 AM
    Isuppose you may be afraid of getting a stalker or too. Wait a minute... I could use a stalker or too. Damn. How do I figure out what my PIN is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-08 08:53 AM
    Options>status. PIN
    12-27-08 08:54 AM
    But what are the ADVANTAGES of posting your PIN? I still haven't gotten my question completely answered.
    I guess what I'm asking here is what does a PIN number do? Why is it important? How and why does it enable others to interact with you, than when not posting it?
    12-27-08 09:00 AM
    You use it for BlackBerry Instant Messenger, everybody has their own PIN on the device. You type the PIN into BB Messenger and have conversations with people...
    12-27-08 09:16 AM
    You can't figure out the pros and cons, I mean come on. Don't mean to be an ***, but I just think this is a question that you could answer on your own.
    12-27-08 09:19 AM
    The pro is it's real time messaging with virtually no delay, like text messaging has. You can see when the other person is typing to you, if they are on the phone, or taking awhile to answer their messages. The con is, you can only use it BlackBerry to BlackBerry...
    12-27-08 09:22 AM
    If you post your pin you are giving it to the world wide web. It's just as easy to PM.
    12-27-08 09:23 AM
    The pro is it's real time messaging with virtually no delay, like text messaging has. You can see when the other person is typing to you, if they are on the phone, or taking awhile to answer their messages. The con is, you can only use it BlackBerry to BlackBerry...
    The OP is asking the pros and cons to listing it here on Crackberry for everybody to see.
    12-27-08 09:24 AM
    You can't figure out the pros and cons, I mean come on. Don't mean to be an ***, but I just think this is a question that you could answer on your own.
    This is not a question whose answer I could even begin to fathom. That's why I asked. You've been most arrogant and unhelpful.
    12-27-08 09:26 AM
    That is completely up to you, there is also plenty of threads here as well, here is one of the many http://forums.crackberry.com/f51/any...ory+bb+buddies using the search tool will help...
    12-27-08 09:27 AM
    This is not a question whose answer I could even begin to fathom. That's why I asked. You've been most arrogant and unhelpful.
    Glad that I could help.
    12-27-08 09:32 AM
    I've met some really nice � users posting my pin. You can always delete someone if they make you feel uncomforable. It's a great way to talk to other skilled users for tips and ideas.

12-27-08 10:44 AM
    I met a very good friend of mine here, i talk to her everyday...
    12-27-08 10:47 AM
    Be careful. There are some weirdies on this site. Lol
    12-27-08 12:01 PM
    Be careful. There are some weirdies on this site. Lol
    Hahaha, i have run across a few...
    12-27-08 12:02 PM
    I used to post my pin and got 5-10 requests a day... minimum!

Now all you have to do is PM and I can chose to accept.

12-27-08 12:05 PM
    I've noticed a few members actually posting their PIN numbers which can be seen as the last line beneath their carrier. Isn't that something one would want to keep confidential or am I missing something here?

Who can tell me the advantages and disadvantages of doing either?

Personally, I choose not to publicly post my PIN.

BBM, for me, has become the perfect medium for chats with my wife without the possibility of being interrupted. If we want to be more social, we both have AIM, where we can chat with anyone, even those without BBs.

So, to answer your question: the advantages of posting your PIN would be the opportunity to meet and chat with an unlimited number of BB owners. The disadvantage would be the possiblity of being interrupted throughtout your day with conversations requests. Yes, I'm very aware that I can make myself "not available", but I don't want to do that in case my wife needs to get a hold of me. She knows my schedule, so I know that if she pings me during a meeting, it's probably urgent.

Bottom line: You have to decide for yourself if it behooves you to publish your PIN. If you want lots BBM contacts go for it; you always have the option of deleting them. If you're more private, then limit the people that you provide your PIN to.

As far as the PIN being something that you want to keep confidential; even if other people know it, they can't do anything with it until you accept their request for conversations. It's very similar to a Facebook account; others may know that you have one, but until you accept their request, they still won't have access as your friend.

Hope that helps.
    12-27-08 12:23 PM
    I have a few BBM buddies here that I chat with almost on a daily basis. I have no problem showing mine. This is why I included my photo as my avatar so "you" know who you're chatting with. I have no problems with chatting with anyone. The key is showing the person just as much respect as you would want to receive.

12-27-08 12:38 PM
    BBM is great. You will find an occasional weirdo here and there, yet most people you meet on CB are truly amazing. However, keep that PIN hidden. Reveal it at your own discretion.
    12-27-08 03:17 PM
    Well I used to post my pin here until I got a guy hitting on me via bbm and he does not take no to when I say I am straight.. The upside is getting to talk to cool people but when it comes to guys hitting on other guys is where I draw the line..

Charlie

12-27-08 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD