I always have a little friendly debate with my cell phone junkie son who always seems to have a different device when visiting.
    He even had a BlackBerry once briefly long before I had ever thought of purchasing a smartphone.
    Anyway after hearing me gripe about that lack of continued support for a favorite news app I use he mentioned that I could just use the browser and bookmark the sight. This is something I already new but the he goes on to say that to have to do that is like using public transportation to get around vs him hopping into his car to go to the same place. And he's right as far as I can tell. It was over $600.00 for this Z10 when I got it over a year ago, about what paid for the new device he has now.
    Got me thinking, we have similar contracts with the same service provider but I ride the bus and he drives a Caddy.
    The best I could come with was, "When was the last time a city bus was stolen"?
    But he's right. Considering the cost of BlackBerry with almost identical plans, I feel like I'm paying the same to ride the bus as he is takes a limo.
    I have to replace this phone eventually but I'm having a really hard time justifying another expensive BlackBerry that makes me work twice as hard to do the same things other cheaper phones do.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:36 AM
    I actually prefer the workarounds that come along with BlackBerry. It makes it more of a challenge and to me, it's more satisfying that way.

It's the same with my playbook I still use and love. It takes a lot of work and trial and error to get it right. But that's how I like it.
    01-28-15 10:48 AM
    Passport and blackberry is better in every way. Go on smartphone detox you don't need all those apps

Most of the apps on mynote were rooted apps to get it to run decently.

Now I have only native apps, nothing extra from BlackBerry world or amazon.

Also car has insurance and other stuff how is it cheaper?
    01-28-15 10:49 AM
    How is this even up for debate? Owning and being able to drive your own vehicle is >>>>>>>>>> having to use public transit unless you only travel in the immediate vicinity of a busy downtown core 90% of the time. But as an owner of a lot so big I can't even see my neighbors I'm biased because I also feel owning your own land is >>>>>>>> than urban living
    01-28-15 10:50 AM
    How is this even up for debate? Owning and being able to drive your own vehicle is >>>>>>>>>> having to use public transit unless you only travel in the immediate vicinity of a busy downtown core 90% of the time. But as an owner of a lot so big I can't even see my neighbors I'm biased because I also feel owning your own land is >>>>>>>> than urban living
    In cold city is probably better, in good climate then village all day. Lol, owning land doesn't mean nothing if it's not fertile otherwise it's a liability.

But yeah I like to have my land, house built like a fort, cannon on the roof, guns in handand men or dogs under me.

Motorcycle, scooter, horse, or oxcart better than car though. For anything big you have tractor trolley or truck. Or even railway for tanks, :P
    thracian likes this.
    01-28-15 10:54 AM
    Public transit in a city is the better option than a car but oh man as soon as either you're not working downtown or not living downtown get the damn car!

As for the phones no it isn't because the browser usually works as well as the app and in terms of cost I haven't paid android or iPhone money for a BlackBerry ever. In fact the last two BlackBerry's I bought were downright cheap. Also my Android experience hasn't been the best despite owning one of the highest ranked most beautifully built android phones
    01-28-15 11:15 AM
    The Passport is this kind of bus. http://www.marathoncoach.com/

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 11:21 AM
    I had a Z10 and I now have a Passport. One of my most used apps is Bloomberg, actually one of my only used apps. The native app is yet to be updated for the Passport and the app available on BBW is an Android port. If I was riding the bus with the Z10, I feel like I am now riding the short bus... at least it comes and picks me up right at my front door though.

Seriously though, I really like my Passport, but if we are talking apps looking at the situation with Bloomberg I can tell everything I need to know. BB has said they are going to focus on business apps, what is more business focused than Bloomberg. They showed off a new Bloomberg app for the Passport during the Passport release event. I've now had my Passport for 4 months. So why am I still riding on the app bus (Android port) when I should be relaxing in the back of a limo (Native app)?
    01-28-15 11:59 AM
    The point is that it does seem that for the costs involved, vs the quality of service BlackBerry customers receive, we are riding in coach but have paid for first class.
    I have no problem defending the build quality of any BlackBerry I had in my hands though. Built like a bus!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:11 PM
    I had a Z10 and I now have a Passport. One of my most used apps is Bloomberg, actually one of my only used apps. The native app is yet to be updated for the Passport and the app available on BBW is an Android port. If I was riding the bus with the Z10, I feel like I am now riding the short bus... at least it comes and picks me up right at my front door though.

Seriously though, I really like my Passport, but if we are talking apps looking at the situation with Bloomberg I can tell everything I need to know. BB has said they are going to focus on business apps, what is more business focused than Bloomberg. They showed off a new Bloomberg app for the Passport during the Passport release event. I've now had my Passport for 4 months. So why am I still riding on the app bus (Android port) when I should be relaxing in the back of a limo (Native app)?
    Lol, I think they are saving you money by keeping you away from wall street parasites like Bloomberg. :P
    01-28-15 12:15 PM
    To analyze this analogy more. You are not riding the bus. You have a friend drive you when you have an Android app. But you still get to drive, just not all the time. You are just doing it some of the time. BlackBerry 10 is able to put you in the drivers seat (native apps), have your friend drive (Android), and ride the bus (mobile site). However, when you consider reception, call quality, speakerphone, your car is a luxury car when you drive it. To afford that luxury car, I guess you have to be driven sometimes. But there is always hope you can drive anywhere you wish, depending on your needs. I have everything except a banking app and Netflix that are native and meet my needs. I did have fun finding alternative native BB apps. Some have been gems and I now prefer them.

By the way, I never spend $600 on a phone. That is painful. I paid $414 for both my Z30 and my wife's Q10. I also saved $60 a month using a BYOD service. That's a whole different analogy though...

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 12:29 PM