The truth is that people aren't as clueless as some here would like to believe - they just have different priorities. Most people, even if they don't use SnapChat or don't own a smartwatch, might need an app tomorrow or buy a new gadget that launches next month, and they know that if they buy an iPhone or Android phone that they'll be fine. They also know that if they buy something else, there's a very good chance that things won't work, and most of them aren't willing to trade that for the Hub or gesture navigation.
    .[/QUOTE]
    I absolutely agree with this. I switched from BB to Android in 2012 for a simple reason: At the time there was talk about loading bar files, sideloading, etc. I just no longer felt like being a test pilot. I simply wanted a few apps that would work without having to go through contortions.
    02-23-16 10:48 PM
    BB should have delivered BB10 in 2010, or 2011 at the outside and it might of made a difference. 2013 was way too late. Maybe if BB10 1.x had been rock solid it might have established a niche, but buggy and late are a bad combination.

As far as marketing being a cure all look at MS, they have spent billions on Windows mobile and their market share keeps going down.
    BlackBerry should have delivered the first touch screen phone with bb10 before 2007, ahead of Apple.

That's the kind of innovation they need.

This will no longer be the case with any smartphone company.
    There will be a totally new gadget from a new company, not Apple, Google, BlackBerry, not Microsoft, that will be in the limelight.
    History shows that high tech companies rise to the top and fall and never come back to the top. I am not aware of ANY exception in the last 100 years.
    We had HP, then IBM, then Microsoft, then Nokia, Apple, and now Google, Facebook may be next, others of which we do not know will take over.

Smartphones are going the way of the TV, PC and laptop before them.
    Nothing revolutionary anymore, just minor improvements with each new release.
    02-23-16 11:45 PM
    BB had pushed back the BB10 launch by a year already, and by the beginning of 2013 when they did launch, they were still a year away from having a competitive product - most people would correctly argue that BB10 wasn't really a complete product until 10.2.1. At launch, BB10 was an incomplete, buggy mess with a few fatal bugs (like the one that caused phones to spontaneously reboot), and no amount of marketing would have fixed that.
    I have had one z10, two z30 and a passport in the family, the first since February 2013. Not a single one of them has ever rebooted once!
    I often go 3-4 months without turning off my phone.
    If there was a reboot problem, it affected maybe a batch of Z10, certainly not FATAL.
    By your logic, the iphone and its antenna problem was a catastrophic flaw, yet people kept on buying and Apple kept on advertising.

What is a fatal flaw is subjective. Some would consider the poor hub on the Priv a fatal flaw. Or the fact that you have to register with Google and not with BlackBerry to update the BlackBerry apps on the Priv, a fatal flaw.
    Others, who have never used the hub, don't care or think it's great.
    02-23-16 11:58 PM
    I have had one z10, two z30 and a passport in the family, the first since February 2013. Not a single one of them has ever rebooted once!
    I often go 3-4 months without turning off my phone.
    If there was a reboot problem, it affected maybe a batch of Z10, certainly not FATAL.
    It was fatal to the early mass-market success of BB10, as there were a LOT of returns of the Z10 due to this bug - including many from long-time BB users and fans who were CB members at the time. I was here through all of that and I remember it well, and those threads are still available here if you want to search for them. It isn't something I just made up.

You simply cannot launch a new OS with few apps and with an OS bug that causes the phone to reboot randomly - including in the middle of phone calls - and sell that product to most people successfully. Even worse is that BB was targeting business users - their best market - and business people have little tolerance for such issues.

Then there are the problems with the Contacts app - problems that are going on 3 years without being fixed. Contacts are important to all phone users, and it's broken on BB10. Not exactly something professionals can get behind.

Again, the smartphone business is hyper-competitive, and BB had a dozen important factors working against it. It might have survived one or two - as Apple did with Antennagate - if everything else is working great, but BB had issues all over, and took way too long to fix them. Some are still not fixed and probably will never be.
    02-24-16 12:23 AM
    9 out of 10 people that have seen me on my BlackBerry always ask me "BlackBerry still makes phones?". Anyone go through the same experiences of show and tell after that question is asked?

Posted via CB10
    You are correct . I have experienced it many times . One of the comment I got was " May God give you the strength and patience to handle this device ( Passport)" . It is sad but true .
    02-24-16 12:40 AM
    It was fatal to the early mass-market success of BB10, as there were a LOT of returns of the Z10 due to this bug - including many from long-time BB users and fans who were CB members at the time. I was here through all of that and I remember it well, and those threads are still available here if you want to search for them. It isn't something I just made up.

You simply cannot launch a new OS with few apps and with an OS bug that causes the phone to reboot randomly - including in the middle of phone calls - and sell that product to most people successfully. Even worse is that BB was targeting business users - their best market - and business people have little tolerance for such issues.

Then there are the problems with the Contacts app - problems that are going on 3 years without being fixed. Contacts are important to all phone users, and it's broken on BB10. Not exactly something professionals can get behind.

Again, the smartphone business is hyper-competitive, and BB had a dozen important factors working against it. It might have survived one or two - as Apple did with Antennagate - if everything else is working great, but BB had issues all over, and took way too long to fix them. Some are still not fixed and probably will never be.
    At least Apple owns up to their bugs . BlackBerry never acknowledged the Z10 reboot or battery issues and the Q10 double typing issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 01:25 AM
    At least#0� Apple owns up to their bugs . BlackBerry never acknowledged the Z10 reboot or battery issues and the Q10 double typing issue.

Posted via CB10
    The worst is Z10 STL100-1
    02-24-16 02:18 AM
    9 out of 10 people that have seen me on my BlackBerry always ask me "BlackBerry still makes phones?". Anyone go through the same experiences of show and tell after that question is asked?

Posted via CB10
    Ray - whereabouts in the world are you based?

I was at a international-ish healthcare conference near London last week - and 9 out of 10 Americans I spoke to said something similar to me - though none of the Europeans asked a similar question (nor the sole Canadian chap I met). One of the Americans did ask me if I worked for the UK government, as he thought that BlackBerry only sold to governments nowadays....

Interestingly enough, screen size was a common discussion topic, as the only people who could easily read many of the PDF 'handouts', were myself (Passport) and some people with iPhone 6 Plus's or the big Samsungs.... A significant part of the conference was about mobile access to medical records and the risks around viewability (eg if the screen/font is too small, medical professionals could easily make significant mistakes by misreading the data).
    02-24-16 03:38 AM
    New York

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 04:18 AM
    At least Apple owns up to their bugs . BlackBerry never acknowledged the Z10 reboot or battery issues and the Q10 double typing issue.

Posted via CB10
    ?? "You are holding it Wrong!!" Ya that was a great own up.

I have 3 Z10s and not one has rebooted ever. The battery on the Z10 was better than the flagship Samsung Galaxy s3 at the time nor was it any worse than the iPhone 5. My z10 gets me through the day even though the battery isn't the greatest.

I don't own a q10 but I understand that the latest software update solved many of the double typing issues.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 06:45 AM
    closed for review

edit

Nah, it will stay open. C ya
    Posted via CB10
    It could have ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-24-16 at 07:43 AM.
    02-24-16 07:11 AM
36 12