I'm posting this across various tech related sites. Even though this isn't specifically BB related, there are probably enough users here that may stand a chance of falling prey to this latest malware attack for Windows based PC's.

In a nutshell, a search for Open Office on both Bing and Google will return results where the top 2-4 results will be a link to fake Open Office download sites. Downloading and using the installer from these sites will result in such an obscene amount of malware on your system, that the only real option you will have is to completely wipe your machine.

Just be forewarned... if you wish to install OpenOffice, make sure that you only download it from openoffice.org. Spoofed sites like openoffice.us.com are malicious, and never to be trusted. I discovered this after I had an inordinate escalation of clients, all of which recently bought new Win8 machines, and were suddenly mobbed/swarmed/devastated by malware in a very short period of time.

I have already sent tickets to both Google and Microsoft/Bing that their search results place those malicious sites at the top of their search results. But it wouldn't hurt for others to do the same.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    05-08-14 03:45 PM
    Wow, thanks for the heads-up!

Not BB related, but decent enough issue that I think this thread should stay here for time being.
    05-08-14 03:51 PM
    Yikes, I got a new laptop a couple months ago and I can't recall at the moment if I had gotten around to installing Open Office. I'll check when I get home!
    05-08-14 04:00 PM
    Yikes, I got a new laptop a couple months ago and I can't recall at the moment if I had gotten around to installing Open Office. I'll check when I get home!
    Yeah, I know a lot of people that like and use Open Office. It's a good product. And a lot of people will fall prey if they follow the top links from search results.
    05-08-14 04:06 PM
    Folks, it is not just Open Office, a lot of other things. When he search from Google, for example, Adobe Flash for example, there are always fake or non officiel links. Even though in the end the software you want is installed, whole bunch of other fishy junk also got installed in the same time. Be careful. Google is evil! I really don't get it someone will deny this.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:49 PM
    Folks, it is not just Open Office, a lot of other things. When he search from Google, for example, Adobe Flash for example, there are always fake or non officiel links. Even though in the end the software you want is installed, whole bunch of other fishy junk also got installed in the same time. Be careful. Google is evil! I really don't get it someone will deny this.

Posted via CB10
    It's not googles fault, you may already have silent malware on your system that puts fake links in search results

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:55 PM

Posted via CB10

It's not a Google issue. Other search engines are suffering the same. The issue is that the perpetrators are stacking search results across all search providers to place their results at the top to make themselves appear to be the go-to de facto result. Regardless who you search through.

But hey... way to try to turn it into a Google issue.
    05-08-14 06:12 PM
    I fell for this a few months ago. Thankfully I realized it looked kind of fishy before I actually got anything installed.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 06:25 PM
    It's not a Google issue. Other search engines are suffering the same. The issue is that the perpetrators are stacking search results across all search providers to place their results at the top to make themselves appear to be the go-to de facto result. Regardless who you search through.

But hey... way to try to turn it into a Google issue.
    Nice try. If they don't pay Google to list them in the tops X, it is hard to understand how it will show on Google 's search result page.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:39 PM