I just got my Tour yesterday, and after much drama in getting it to work with EVDO, I finally took it home. Full EVDO still doesn't work, so I was told to bring it in on Monday to make sure it was working properly / replaced.

So during the sales/setup process, they first showed me a phone that had a scratch on the plastic screen protector that (I assume) came with the phone. I said "this looks like a used phone, is it?" to which they said "Oh no, sometimes people take them out of the box to look at them, then put them back.

So anyways, I get home, played around with the phone, and lo-and-behold, found dozens of pics that the previous owner took - bunch of high school teenager crap.

So am I out of line by demanding a NEW phone when I return? I mean, isn't that what I'm paying for, or is this legally within their rights to do this (the provider I mean)???

Personally, I think it's a crock of ****.
    05-02-10 04:45 PM
    bluegrass cellular???? i guess i wouldnt expect anything less.

in reality, if you went in looking for a new phone which you paid for, yes demand a new one.
    05-02-10 05:13 PM
    Can't believe it! Ask for a new one, of course.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-10 05:15 PM
    So you had the original phone replaced? If you purchased it only one day prior, then I dont think you should settle for a used phone, but you have to check your agreement and see what it says.

You also could have just run across a stupid sales rep, or possibly a dishonest one.

EDIT: Re-reading your post, it looks the you took the scratched one as new?
    Last edited by PeterD; 05-02-10 at 05:19 PM.
    05-02-10 05:17 PM
    I didn't even know there was a carrier in the US called Bluegrass Cellular.
    You paid for a NEW device, go in and get what you rightfully paid for.
    05-02-10 05:27 PM
    I took whatever phone they had available that would work - was told directly by the rep that I could come in on Monday (Tomorrow) and get it replaced because of it not working with EVDO... which is kind of a separate issue.

But yeah,I'm definitely pissed because of what I was told and what I got. The rep was very helpful, and I think this is more of a store policy which is even a bigger issue. I promise you, I will be walking out of that store with a new phone, assuming there is one there that IS new.

Speaking of which, is there a way to tell if a phone has been used or not? I mean, by the serial # or something? THere are obvious physical signs of course, but they can be hidden fairly easily with some care.
    05-03-10 01:23 AM
    I took whatever phone they had available that would work - was told directly by the rep that I could come in on Monday (Tomorrow) and get it replaced because of it not working with EVDO... which is kind of a separate issue.

But yeah,I'm definitely pissed because of what I was told and what I got. The rep was very helpful, and I think this is more of a store policy which is even a bigger issue. I promise you, I will be walking out of that store with a new phone, assuming there is one there that IS new.

Speaking of which, is there a way to tell if a phone has been used or not? I mean, by the serial # or something? THere are obvious physical signs of course, but they can be hidden fairly easily with some care.
    options icon>status> type> buyr it will tell you if any voice or data has been used on the phone at all
    Last edited by fedge; 05-03-10 at 01:34 AM.
    05-03-10 01:28 AM
    options icon>status> type> buyr it will tell you if any voice or data has been used on the phone at all
    I don't have an option for "Type" under the Status menu. I only have the following items:

Signal
    Battery
    File Free
    PIN
    IMEI
    MEID (dec)
    MEID (hex)
    05-03-10 08:50 AM
    If they don't cough up a new one you ought to file a complaint with your state attorney generals office. What BS.
    05-03-10 09:04 AM
    I don't have an option for "Type" under the Status menu. I only have the following items:

Signal
    Battery
    File Free
    PIN
    IMEI
    MEID (dec)
    MEID (hex)
    No, once on that screen type in the letters...there is no "place" to type it, you just type it in using the keyboard, however there was a big post on this awhile ago with people taking brand new phones from the box and finding they had data and talk hours on them, although obviously new.
    05-03-10 09:54 AM
    No, once on that screen type in the letters...there is no "place" to type it, you just type it in using the keyboard, however there was a big post on this awhile ago with people taking brand new phones from the box and finding they had data and talk hours on them, although obviously new.

Ah... got it. Thanks a million! What's odd is that the number of minutes listed on this ^ screen equals the minutes that are on my call log at this point.

Can this data (from the Status screen) be cleared, as it appears it has? There is no question that the phone has been used - at least from the pictures that were on it.

I just want to make sure when I go check out the "new" phone, I know where to check to make sure that it is indeed new.

Thanks again - I love this place!
    05-03-10 10:28 AM
    there are things were i live called "refurbished" phones which are used phones so to speak. someone drops a phone, breaks it, and sends it in for a new one then the manufactor completly rebuilds the phone to "brand new" qualifications. maybe this is what u recieved? 9 times out of 10 tho someone returns the phone within the 30 day "trial period" and the service provider is no longer aloud to sell this phone as "new".
    05-03-10 11:25 AM
    Maybe they bundled your phone with a used micro SD?

05-03-10 11:38 AM
    there are things were i live called "refurbished" phones which are used phones so to speak. someone drops a phone, breaks it, and sends it in for a new one then the manufactor completly rebuilds the phone to "brand new" qualifications. maybe this is what u recieved? 9 times out of 10 tho someone returns the phone within the 30 day "trial period" and the service provider is no longer aloud to sell this phone as "new".

I'm not sure what this provider's policy is for the 30-day period. I would assume though, that they can't simply just put the phone back in the box and call it 'new'. Even if they have this in the contract, I refuse to accept it, given that I was told differently.

And yeah, if the phone were 'refurbished', I would be totally ok with this, but at a discounted price (as most everything else on the market is sold this way).
    05-03-10 12:01 PM
    Maybe they bundled your phone with a used micro SD?

It came with a 1G card in it... I think it was blank, but will check this.
    05-03-10 12:06 PM
    get a new tour that would be most recommended
    05-03-10 12:11 PM
    not sure about the pearl but (my 8530) in my options icon>About i have a notififaction the let's you know if it has been refurbished or not.. Mine says "Refurbished: N" if it is refurbished it will have "Refurbished: Y and the date it was refurbished

@kylecore... your the same kyle for our bbm chat right ??
    05-03-10 01:02 PM
    yikes that's sad to hear ;[
    05-03-10 01:24 PM
    SD Card which came with the phone was blank. Just a few more hours and I'll have an update for everyone (going to store after work).
    05-03-10 01:50 PM
    Well, for once, the cell phone provider surprised me in a good way. I talked to the manager on duty, who I'm assuming was told of the situation prior to my getting there. I told him how I was upset at what I thought was a pretty poor store policy, and he offered to replace my phone on the spot, which he did. THIS phone, was indeed new - sealed box, original plastic, etc.

Also got the phone hooked up successfully on EVDO, and gave me a $20 credit for the trouble.

So, all's well that ends well?

05-04-10 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD