I have been a proud owner of a blackberry and like the 9800. i had an iphone and went back to blackberry. have a htc inpsire as my back up phone (kids like the games on it too) but have used my blackberry 9800 as my primary phone. i keep up with the latest os updates and LOVE the keyboard. but, after reading no new blackberrry 10 devices and having an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket combined with getting an ipad 2 for Xmas, i may have to say goodbye to the blackberry. it makes me sad blackberry cannot keep up in the smartphone wars because i want to keep the blackberry as my phone. but, with the ipad now in possession and with the icloud, i am seriously considering going to the darkside and getting an iphone. i can have my apps, songs (huge itunes library) at my disposal, and my kids can play on the ipad (i have a hp touchpad as well but the games are lacking). i hate to say goodbye to blackberry; but, it seems blackberry is slowly becoming the next palm/treo/hp webos. my back up phone has an upgrade due at the end of next year, so i can always come back. please don't be haters but understand that i want to stick with blackberry, but it seems they are not keeping up with the needs of consumers...
    Berryback likes this.
    12-22-11 11:39 PM
    I sort of understand, however, my most recent occurance w/ iTunes turned me away from apple. Had over 500 songs on my iPod. Most were legally mine. Of course a few weren't. When I tried to move them over to my itunes, it accepted them, found the album covers for them. Then, systematically deleted them. This has led me to realize that giving 1 company total control of all your stuff is way too risky. As nice as the iphone is, I refuse to make the switch to them. But, RIM has some serious work to do. That's for sure
    12-22-11 11:50 PM
    Isn't RIM waiting til they can implement something in the new BB 10 devices to make the battery last longer or something?

If the 9800 is getting on your nerves, go for an 0S 7 device. It should suffice for now.
    12-24-11 03:52 AM
    My os 7 loaded 9860 has to be charged daily even after very light use.
    12-29-11 09:12 AM
    Is amazing how fast technology moves, especially in the cell phone industry. I keep hearing that RIM isn't keeping up, their technology is yesterdays news and similar stuff. This all may be somewhat true, but I also don't buy a car every 6 months because of "new" technology. I have to be satisfied with MY purchase and what works best for ME. Sure there is always going to be "the next best thing", but do I need or want what I have no use for......NO I DON'T
    Last edited by spencerdl; 12-29-11 at 09:32 AM.
    12-29-11 09:29 AM
    please don't be haters but understand that i want to stick with blackberry, but it seems they are not keeping up with the needs of consumers...
    I understand why you want to go to the iphone having an ipad2 and all. But you do understand that before reading this thread I had no idea you where planning on getting an iphone? Kinda seems like your actually asking for the flamimg.I dunno might just be me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bricenm likes this.
    12-29-11 11:03 AM
    That seems to be a good summary. Ignore branding, ignore unreleased vaporware. Select the device available NOW which provides best value with the features and functionality you need NOW.

My usual approach is to make a 3-column function list; must-have, would-be-nice, must-not-have. Only when that is done, compare with the available hardware and see which is best match in columns 1+3. Use column #2 as the tie-breaker if necessary, but above all other considerations go down to a phone store and get some hands-on time to see which one feels right.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-29-11 11:09 AM
    I completely understand. I am also questioning my loyalty to RIM when what they are producing is clearly outdated. I must also add that some of the comments from Canadian posters against the USA has also made me question supporting a Canadian brand when the USA has Apple and Android. I don't know how long I will stay on this sinking ship.
    Last edited by NJPhilliesPhan; 12-29-11 at 11:38 AM.
    12-29-11 11:33 AM
    I don't understand why people feel the need to posts threads like this.. its as if, as someone else said you are asking to be flamed, or maybe you want people you don't even know to try and talk you out of it?

If you want to go buy and iphone then do it.. I love my blackberry, I'm happy with what it does and I intend to keep it, and buy the next one and the next one.. but I don't care what you do..

It's like people who go somewhere really crowded and threaten to kill themselves... if you really wanted to do it, you would have done it a home, alone and been done with it. Otherwise its just seeking attention for something you don't really intend to do.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    12-29-11 11:38 AM
    Isn't the cloud thing going to increase data usage a lot? I mean if you're keeping everything in the cloud you have to download or stream it and it will use much more data than if it is local.

I guess the carriers want us to do this so they can get more $$$ out of our pockets.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    12-29-11 11:48 AM
    I think the cloud just syncs changes to your data, so say if you download something on your phone, it syncs it to your computer, your tablet etc, but then the data is on those devices, t doesn't stream each time you open the file.. at least to my knowledge. I'm my opinion it's actually a good feature.. I'm hopeful rim will launch something similar in time, Or maybe well see more blackberry options from the Google cloud.

Some apps already offer similar features, like photobucket, I have it set that anytime I take a picture on my blackberry it auto uploads to photobuckets cloud, then when I sit down at the computer its already there.. I don't have a lot of experience with drop box as of yet, but I think it works similarly..
    Last edited by just_luc; 12-29-11 at 11:56 AM.
    12-29-11 11:54 AM
    Is amazing how fast technology moves, especially in the cell phone industry. I keep hearing that RIM isn't keeping up, their technology is yesterdays news and similar stuff. This all may be somewhat true, but I also don't buy a car every 6 months because of "new" technology. I have to be satisfied with MY purchase and what works best for ME. Sure there is always going to be "the next best thing", but do I need or want what I have no use for......NO I DON'T
    Well said. As an example, Wired magazine posted an article downing Win8. Part of their anti-MS thing was that the original tablet PC OS was "wonky" and used a stylus, never mentioning that it could be used as a PC or a tablet. So, we presently have the Asus Transformer Prime -- an Android tablet adding a keyboard. Sound familiar? Or the Samsung Galaxy Note, a 5.3" screened Android phone that doubles as a minitablet...using a Wacom stylus!

I'm a big fan of recognizing that "one size fits all" is totally wrong. And I think we've all heard the quote from Ecclesiastes that there's nothing new under the sun. We keep trying to prove that wrong by repackaging the same old stuff in new ways, as "the next big thing". RIM makes stuff that works and works well, when they get the bugs out. If we live long enough, the "next big thing" may turn out to be an 8320.
    12-29-11 11:56 AM
    I think the cloud just syncs changes to your data, so say if you download something on your phone, it syncs it to your computer, your tablet etc, but then the data is on those devices, t doesn't stream each time you open the file.. at least to my knowledge. I'm my opinion it's actually a good feature.. I'm hopeful rim will launch something similar in time, Or maybe well see more blackberry options from the Google cloud.

Some apps already offer similar features, like photobucket, I have it set that anytime I take a picture on my blackberry it auto uploads to photobuckets cloud, then when I sit down at the computer its already there.. I don't have a lot of experience with drop box as of yet, but I think it works similarly..
    I think Cloud is gimmick-ed as a wondersync feature but I think it will be more commonly deployed as a means to control content and hog bandwidth. From a corporate megalomaniac standpoint, why wouldn't you want to control all the content and leave the consumer with no other option then to pay?

Apple has shown business that as long as you can dress it up with fan-dangled marketing and enough drones, consumers will happily put "the noose around their neck".

A marketing exploit that really keeps the Sheep in Sheeple? No wonder they're the Hi-Tech capitalists darlings!
    12-29-11 12:07 PM
    I completely understand. I am also questioning my loyalty to RIM when what they are producing is clearly outdated. I must also add that some of the comments from Canadian posters against the USA has also made me question supporting a Canadian brand when the USA has Apple and Android. I don't know how long I will stay on this sinking ship.
    oh yes. because a few posters on 1 message board are a great representation of 34 million people.
    12-29-11 12:15 PM
    I think Cloud is gimmick-ed as a wondersync feature but I think it will be more commonly deployed as a means to control content and hog bandwidth. From a corporate megalomaniac standpoint, why wouldn't you want to control all the content and leave the consumer with no other option then to pay?

Apple has shown business that as long as you can dress it up with fan-dangled marketing and enough drones, consumers will happily put "the noose around their neck".

A marketing exploit that really keeps the Sheep in Sheeple? No wonder they're the Hi-Tech capitalists darlings!
    One of the most ignorant, incorrect and rediculous posts I've read in a long time.
    12-29-11 12:18 PM
    I would love to see internal matrix of the average overage charge per phone for data. Even if BlackBerry handsets used a cloud feature, I would think they would still stay in the lower percentile because of compression (assuming the same data model was applied as other components of the BB lines).

I almost dont want a 4g phone (data packages with limits and charges blaaahhh), I have a grandfathered 3g plan with all you can eat data. Not that suspect my data usage on my BB would ever be an issue, but you never know.
    12-29-11 12:24 PM
    12-29-11 12:25 PM
    I would love to see internal matrix of the average overage charge per phone for data. Even if BlackBerry handsets used a cloud feature, I would think they would still stay in the lower percentile because of compression (assuming the same data model was applied as other components of the BB lines).

I almost dont want a 4g phone (data packages with limits and charges blaaahhh), I have a grandfathered 3g plan with all you can eat data. Not that suspect my data usage on my BB would ever be an issue, but you never know.
    If data is going through BIS/BES, that part can't create an overage, anyway.

I see you're on "Big Red". If you were on "Big Blue", your grandfathered 3g unlimited plan would also be a grandfathered 4G unlimited data plan.
    12-29-11 12:47 PM
    This thread is shallow and pedantic.

12-29-11 12:47 PM
    i hate to say goodbye to blackberry; but, it seems blackberry is slowly becoming the next palm/treo/hp webos. my back up phone has an upgrade due at the end of next year, so i can always come back. please don't be haters but understand that i want to stick with blackberry, but it seems they are not keeping up with the needs of consumers...
    I just reread your post and, unlike some others here, I think you're serious. So, I'll ask a couple of serious questions that I'd like you to seriously answer.

What do you need to do that a you think a newer Blackberry can't do?

And what do you want to do that you think a newer Blackberry can't do?
    12-29-11 12:53 PM
    posts removed and this is the one and only warning. no flaming please and try to keep in on topic.

Everyone has different needs and different phones work for different people.
    12-29-11 01:22 PM
    Firstly, lets not rule out a troll post. I'm suspect of anyone who has less than 25 posts who start these general issue threads (My 9900 is dead !, RIM is failing, Leaving for iPhone etc.) to simply "stir the pot".

Secondly, if you want to buy a iPhone, go do it. You'll miss the simple things like being able to expand the storage capacity or change batteries. Like many have pointed out, Apple is a fully inclusive but closed user experience. Like it or hate it, many find it useful and have "drank the koolaid" by the boatload. Good luck to them.

However, I like to have the option to think for myself and not have products designed assuming I'm 12. I'm not, I'm a fully aware grown adult that gets insultled when things are dumbed down "to help me better understand".
    Last edited by EchoTango; 12-29-11 at 01:52 PM.
    12-29-11 01:43 PM
    Firstly, lets not rule out a troll post. I'm suspect of anyone who has less than 25 posts who start these general issue threads (My 9900 is dead !, RIM is failing, Leaving for iPhone etc.) to simply "stir the pot".

Secondly, if you want to buy a iPhone, go do it. You'll miss the simple things like being able to expand the storage capacity or change batteries. Like many have pointed out, Apple is a fully inclusive but closed user experience. Like it or hate it, many find it useful and have "drank the koolaid" by the boatload. Good luck to them.

However, I like to have the option to think for myself and not have products designed assuming I'm 12. I'm not, I'm a fully aware grown adult that gets insultled when things are dumbed down "to help me better understand".
    How about we not do that. This is the same mentality that lead to alot of hostility a little over a month ago. The forums became a battleground and many people were labeled as trolls and berated for no reason except for asking a question for help.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-29-11 01:55 PM
    I just reread your post and, unlike some others here, I think you're serious. So, I'll ask a couple of serious questions that I'd like you to seriously answer.

What do you need to do that a you think a newer Blackberry can't do?

And what do you want to do that you think a newer Blackberry can't do?
    Actually I'm curious to hear the answers to these myself. Phooey on what somebody says a bunch of anonymous consumers supposedly want; I buy a device for what I want, not for them. So yeah, I'd kind of like to know what the OP wants, too.
    12-29-11 01:56 PM
    What on the blackberrys is out dated?

p

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-11 02:35 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD