You have to remember that privacy laws have changed since these old lamented "lower end" phones that offered this feature were made - probably why the $500 BB doesn't have it. IT'S ILLEGAL.
    Since when is it illegal to have an electronic device that's capable of recording audio? Yeah I thought so... IT ISN'T

If someone chooses to use a tool for an illegal act that's THEIR problem (and possible yours with your long winded rant of a lawsuit) not that of the device.

I suppose you're one of the those people that also want to ban guns on the premise they MIGHT kill someone in the future though...

P.S. The SE w810i is not that "old", the privacy laws in place were established long before it's release.
    05-02-08 06:39 PM
    Likewise I would never record anyone without asking them permission to do so, as that makes *ME* feel dishonest, cheap and dirty.

*I* consider it a breach of trust, privacy and ethics.
    Me, I? Perhaps you might want to take into consideration that your opinion means NOTHING in the real world!
    05-02-08 06:47 PM
    Even if it is not illegal, it is wrong to not inform the other parties that they are being recorded. I for one would not divulge certain personal information if I knew I was being recorded. Certain things, such as medical information are protected under privacy acts, so depending on the nature of a call it could be illegal to share a recorded conversation though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 07:08 PM
    so depending on the nature of a call it could be illegal to share a recorded conversation though.
    Man what is with all these emo people on Crackberry?

WHAT Doctors office in the industrialized world discloses important medical information over the phone? THEY ALWAYS ask you to come into the office for a discussion.

Alot of women need to start looking at things from a LOGICAL point of view...
    05-02-08 07:14 PM
    Me, I? Perhaps you might want to take into consideration that your opinion means NOTHING in the real world!

Coincidentally neither does yours.
    05-02-08 08:07 PM
    Man what is with all these emo people on Crackberry

Alot of women need to start looking at things from a LOGICAL point of view...
    And that right there just said a lot about your 'opinion'.

A lot of women? Really? Thank god for the ignore function...
    05-02-08 08:08 PM
    I would like to inform all of you that this is being recorded. I got a great example, your ex is calling you and threatening your well being you have told them to stop and they are still doing so. Would you not want to record them doing this to show whomever the Police your parents the mailman or to them to let them know you have them on tape threatening you. Yea its not amissable in court criminally, but at least you'll have someones attention. Again my 2 cents and the way the dollar looks that ain't much.
    05-02-08 10:59 PM
    Coincidentally neither does yours.
    Haha getting a little "emo" again are we?

I'm good though, because that's not my opinion... what I stated was FACTS.

Your rant about legality has no basis, and it's clearly just your diluted personal view on the subject.
    05-03-08 03:43 AM
    With the hope of restoring some decorum to this thread here is an informative link on the subject of recording telephone calls. Note: on the sidebar the is a listing of statutes by state.

And yes I know the site is geared towards journalist but the law applies to regular citizens as well.

"Can We Tape?"
    05-03-08 10:53 AM
    I kind of skimmed through this thread. Two quick things...

1) If anyone needs an invite to Grand Central, I can help you with that as I have two accounts with them. Just send me a PM through these boards. I'll need:
    • your full name
    • your email address

2) I don't have my VZW Curve 8330 yet (not released yet), but I understand a program called VR+ handles phone recording and more.

At least, I sure as heck hope so because I use a similar program on my Treo 700p, and I can't go without it (recording meetings, lectures -- not phone calls)

Cheers, guys.
    05-03-08 11:19 AM
    check out JK Audio tones of inline patches and double enders. They also have a new bluetooth model. We use them in TV all the time.
    05-04-08 10:56 AM
    i also have been searching for this for awhile now. apparently vr+ does not record calls, only voicenotes.

im in desperate need for this for when i call companies up to either cancel a service, dispute charges etc etc.

so many times i have wished i had some recorded. i always write down the date, time, agents name when i call, and the companies still have the nerve to say that i did not call because their records didnt show anything.

fed up, i once told a rep i had a recording of the conversation that he said apparently didnt happen and asked him if he wanted to hear it. he said no and quickly changed his tune. (thank goodness he didnt call my bluff)

i eneded up getting everything i was promised in a very quick matter after that.

this is why a feature like this would be fantastic....

if there isn't a program to do this, is there any pay as you go phone that has it? i would gladly just use the pay as you go just for this.

im in BC, Canada and on telus network.

thank you for your time

kingpn69
    BB8130
    05-05-08 09:33 PM
    I tried searching the forums and didn't really find anything useful.

Does anyone know where I can find software that will let me record both ends of a phone call? Possibly into mp3 format.

Thanks in advance.
    After reading some of the comments, here is my .02:
    I hope you received the answer you were searching for? As far as why you would need to record or want to record is of a personal nature. I'm sure you have your reasons. Just a reminder.......we have a few on here that like to replace simple answers with SA remarks. So, review the forums so you will know what to expect from those individuals. Other than that, everyone else is here to have fun and help others.
    05-05-08 10:07 PM
    Amazinglygraceless - thanks for the link!

After reading this thread I was curious as to what the laws where in my state (now MN). I used to have to tape calls for work when I lived in NY, so I knew the laws there, but I've never done it in MN and it's nice to know what's legal in case I ever do need to record. Thanks!
    05-05-08 10:21 PM
    Wow!! There must be something going around... The crackberry boards are full of emotion and contempt tonight!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-08 10:40 PM
    What about the rights of those being victimized that need proof. My ex is a monster. I would love to have witnesses listen to her crap.
    10-07-08 02:39 PM
    So by not asking for consent you're essentially committing phone rape? Lol ;p
    06-12-09 02:11 AM
    Keep in mind that recording phone conversations without informing the other party is illegal in some states.

Why do you want to record a phone conversation? Have you thought about just communicating via email in such situations to document your contact?
    I love the people who continue to chime in to these threads just to infer that because a person wants to record both sides of a phone call, there's something nefarious going on.

I'm a writer and I do a ton of phone interviews. I need a phone recorder to accurately collect hours of conversations and valuable information. Believe it or not? You can need to record a phone call and NOT be twirling an evil mustache while framing someone for murder.
    06-22-09 11:18 AM
    I love the people who continue to chime in to these threads just to infer that because a person wants to record both sides of a phone call, there's something nefarious going on.

I'm a writer and I do a ton of phone interviews. I need a phone recorder to accurately collect hours of conversations and valuable information. Believe it or not? You can need to record a phone call and NOT be twirling an evil mustache while framing someone for murder.
    (sarcasm)

Yea, and I'd bet that you want the camera shutter sound muted because you take under-skirt pictures at work all day too. You're a bad, bad man! (cough)

(/sarcasm)
    06-22-09 11:24 AM
    Can not record voice notes with phone activated...I know, I tried. Anyone know of a way to do this?
    06-22-09 03:08 PM
    There are only 10 states that require you to let the other party know that you are recording the phone call. And my state is not one of them it is a one party notification state. So as long as i know that i am recording the call its LEAGAL! So you have to know your states law. If you call someone in Massachusets for instance you have to let the know and give them the chance to say no.

But if you find a program that can be used let me know. I need to record my step daughters calls with her grandma so that her grandma will stop telling me that my step daughter is lying about what she has said on the phone. I wish i could just stop all conversations with her but it wont happen for a while. But she will tell my step daughter that me and her father are no good we are mean people and to be mean and bad. I have had her on speaker phone and have heard it and when my step daughter says grandma said your no good or what ever and the grandma hears her say it she yells at her and then will tell me she never said that. So i would like to catch her saying crap like that just to see what she has to say.
    07-02-09 06:58 PM
    ohio Wiretapping Law

Ohio's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. Ohio law makes it a crime to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. Ohio Rev. Code � 2933.52. Thus, if you operate in Ohio, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance. That said, if you intend to record conversations involving people located in more than one state, you should play it safe and get the consent of all parties.

Additionally, consent is not required for oral communications (e.g., in-person conversations) where the speakers does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the communication. See Ohio Rev. Code � 2933.51. This means that you are free to record a conversation happening between two people in a public place such as a street or a restaurant, so long as you are not using sensitive recording equipment to pick up what you otherwise would not hear.

In addition to subjecting you to criminal prosecution, violating the Ohio wiretapping law can expose you to a civil lawsuit for damages by an injured party.

Consult the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press's Can We Tape?: Ohio for more information on Ohio wiretapping law.
    11-09-09 12:38 AM
    LOL why is it whenever somebody asks about recording phone calls it always turns into a discussion about the law and morality?

I don't give a damn why the OP wants to record phone calls and I don't expect him to give a damn what I or anybody else thinks about the act of recording other people. It would be nice if we answered his question without interrogating him about why he "should" want to do what he wants to do.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for the OP's question. All of my phones stretching back to my first one in 1999 could record conversations. Some, just by holding down a 'voice memo' button. Some would make a beep every 15 seconds or whatever, some wouldn't.

Blackberry should have an app that does this. There have been lots of times when I was talking with someone and I wanted to record something that person said. Usually directions, or names, or a phone number, or whatever.

BB is supposedly so advanced. It should have this option.
    11-09-09 03:47 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD