Tonight I went to do a monthly back up of my BB. Only to my surprise that I got that error when backing up the profiles DB. I have tried the rumored solution to clear the browser cache, history, and cookies, but that didn't work. Also for the record, I tried a battery pull, and rebooting my computer. So I started working backwards removing newly installed apps. Still it did solve the issue.

The other solution is to restore the DB from a previous back up. I can do this, but I am still curious as to the cause of this issue.

What would cause the profiles database to become corrupt, but still allow the phone to operate normally?

From what I can tell, anything that has been changed since my last successful back up has been undone, it leaves me wondering what the cause is.
    Last edited by sunkast; 10-07-08 at 11:03 PM.
    10-07-08 11:01 PM
    Went into the event log and got this information. Don't know if anyone can make any sense of it.

S Java Exception Trace

Name: ClassCastException
    Severity: Severe Error
    GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498
    Time: Oct 08, 2008 00:05:25
    No detail message
    net_rim_bb_profiles_lib
    Profiles
    convert
    0x84F6
    net_rim_os-7
    SerialSyncCollectionData
    convertFromSyncObject
    0x6B43
    net_rim_os-7
    SerialSyncDaemon
    <private>
    0x7DF1
    net_rim_os-7
    SerialSyncDaemon
    <private>
    0x7CEA
    net_rim_os-7
    SerialSyncDaemon
    <private>
    0x728C
    net_rim_os-7
    SerialSyncDaemon
    <private>
    0x6E2C
    net_rim_os-7
    SerialSyncDaemon
    run
    0x6D0C
    net_rim_cldc-1
    Thread
    run
    0xB6C1
    10-07-08 11:22 PM
    The only foreseeable way for a DB to get corrupted is if it was accessed incorrectly or data was put in it incorrectly. Basically if some aspect of the DB was handled incorrectly there is a possibility for the DB to get corrupted. I may have a cause for the corruption but I'd need to know some information first.

The new beta of Twitterberry now has it's own incorporation into each profile. Thus allowing Twitterberry to notify you of replies or direct messages or just updates in general. As it's still a beta it might have inherent qualities that created an error in the profiles DB for you.

If you have the new beta installed something I can think of off the top of my head. If you installed the beta version over the official 0.6 release. Meaning you didn't uninstall ver 0.6 before installing the beta 0.7.

This might have caused a conflict when the new beta was installed which in turn caused the corruption of the profiles DB. I can't say for sure but it's certainly a viable explanation.

If you can restore the DB from a previous months backup successfully with no complications. I would do a little testing to help Twitterberry with their next build.

Remove ver0.6 and install ver0.7Beta and see if you still get a profile error. Then I would try installing ver0.7Beta over an existing ver0.6 installation and see if you get that profile corruption again. If you don't it could still be part of the issue.

Hope this helps.

-mikemimik
    10-08-08 01:24 PM
    That's kind along the lines I was thinking. I figured it had to be one of two recently installed apps that I had installed. I had installed the AP News app, and the new beta of TwitterBerry over the top of the version I had installed. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the new version. I was hoping that uninstalling both apps would have removed whatever damaged it created, but I guess not.
    10-08-08 01:30 PM
    That's kind along the lines I was thinking. I figured it had to be one of two recently installed apps that I had installed. I had installed the AP News app, and the new beta of TwitterBerry over the top of the version I had installed. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the new version. I was hoping that uninstalling both apps would have removed whatever damaged it created, but I guess not.
    (What is the new AP app?)

Removing either of the apps would not affect the damage that would have been done. Fiddling with registry entries is really tricky because so many things hing of them. I was quite pleased with the beta, despite the amount of memory it it consumes when left running. It's stated on the version update page for the beta that there are known issues with it's integration into the profiles, so more then likely it was Twitterberry that caused the error. I am always weary of beta's and how they are installed and how I use them. I've had some bad experiences with some so I've very cautious when anything is labeled 'beta'.
    10-08-08 01:43 PM
    Associated Press News. It's a news feed service. Acts too much like Viigo though. I'm always wanted the latest news as soon as it happens.
    10-08-08 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD