I had a BB Style 9670 for about five years and liked it. Decided to upgrade, but not ready for the Q/Z10 yet, so I got the 9930.

I had the problem I'm going to describe on the 9670 and was hoping a new phone would cure it. No such luck.

When I set the phone to silent or vibrate, ONE of my contacts-- let's call him "Bob"-- still rings through. Other callers do not. When other callers call, the phone either vibrates or just shows the call on the screen, as per the ACTIVE PROFILE.

But when Bob calls, even if the phone is set to silent or vibrate, HIS calls ring. It's very aggravating. (I had my phone on silent during the Yom Kippur service, and suddenly his ring tone blasted from my purse: the James Bond theme ).

So I got my new phone and Bob was over today. I set it to vibrate and asked him to call me; it rang. I set it to silent; ditto. When I set it to "all alerts off," it DID NOT ring, but his call did show up on the screen. What is the difference between "all alerts off" and "silent"?

I've deleted him from my contacts list and re-entered him. I've changed the ringtone. I've carefully examined all the choices in the options panel WRT profiles. It only happens with Bob. He thought it might be because he has an iPhone, but I have other iPhone contacts and this doesn't happen with them.

And let me add, his calls ring through regardless of the Active Profile... when they ring at all. Today he called me and told me he had called earlier. No ring. No missed call. No nothing. This happened with some frequency on my 9670, and I guess it will be a problem on this phone, too. Nuts.

Anyone else experience this unpredictable ringing behavior?
    10-20-13 08:03 PM
    Gee... not ONE person had a clue??

Turns out in the online manual it says that custom ringtones will always ring through "silent" and "vibrate" and the only way to silence them is to choose "all alerts off."
    10-22-13 11:01 AM
    But when Bob calls, even if the phone is set to silent or vibrate, HIS calls ring. It's very aggravating. (I had my phone on silent during the Yom Kippur service, and suddenly his ring tone blasted from my purse: the James Bond theme ). ...
    I read your post today and I just thought I'd mention that tonight and tomorrow is Yom Kippur.

Hope to see you at the services!

Oh and this time leave your phone at home (like I do )

May G-d answer all our prayers.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 12:30 PM