When I hear people talk about the "App Gap" I always wonder if it's a work issue or a consumer issue.

Please post which Apps you use on your mobile platform to get real "paid" work done on a daily basis.

For me (in no particular order)

1. Hub
    2. Browser
    3. Contacts
    4. Remember
    5. BBM
    6. Adobe Reader
    7. File Manager (with Box, Dropbox, and OneDrive)
    8. LinkedIn
    9. Connect to Salesforce
    10. Docs to Go
    11. Amazon Kindle
    12. Tomato Timer
    13. Weather
    14. Evernote
    15 Calendar

For me the App Gap consists of the following:
    Microsoft Lync
    A better Salesforce App
    Microsoft OneDrive for Business

You'll notice that Google Play Services is not needed at all for me to work on my phone. I'm curious about other professional people's use cases for their mobile phones.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    09-15-15 12:39 PM
    I have both Onedrive and Lync2015 apps running on my Z30.
    09-15-15 12:52 PM
    I have both Onedrive and Lync2015 apps running on my Z30.
    OneDrive, or OneDrive for Business? Also, how was Lync2015 installed?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 01:08 PM
    OneDrive, or OneDrive for Business? Also, how was Lync2015 installed?

Posted via CB10
    Oh, it was Onedrive not Onedrive for business.
    As for Lync 2015, I can't remember if I used SNAP or Cobalt Play Store.
    09-15-15 01:15 PM
    Thanks. I can't use Snap or Cobalt due to contractual commitments guaranteeing security. I've played with both on my personal Z10 and think they're great.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 01:32 PM
    Also Docs to Go is a joke compared to the Microsoft Office suite. And you should remember that different people have different needs. At my work place we use a lot of Google services for work related task and communications mostly occurs on Hangouts. A rich app ecosystem is not about using all the apps, but having the option to do so when needed.
    09-15-15 01:34 PM
    Also Docs to Go is a joke compared to the Microsoft Office suite.
    This is true... if you're talking about the PC/Mac software. Office MObile is JUST AS BAD as Docs2Go. The Office Web does a better job...
    09-15-15 01:47 PM
    Also Docs to Go is a joke compared to the Microsoft Office suite. And you should remember that different people have different needs. At my work place we use a lot of Google services for work related task and communications mostly occurs on Hangouts. A rich app ecosystem is not about using all the apps, but having the option to do so when needed.
    Thanks for your response. If you work in a Google Apps environment, then naturally you need full Google app functionality, and the App Gap for that on BB10 is very significant.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 02:10 PM
    Thanks for your response. If you work in a Google Apps environment, then naturally you need full Google app functionality, and the App Gap for that on BB10 is very significant.
    Posted via CB10
    I gave the Google services as an example. The problem is that if/when you want to use the the services of company X there is a 99% chance that these services are available for iOS and Android and maybe a 40% chance that they are available for BB.
    09-15-15 02:14 PM
    This is true... if you're talking about the PC/Mac software. Office MObile is JUST AS BAD as Docs2Go. The Office Web does a better job...
    Office on iOS and Android is excellent, not a clue what you're talking about. It offers huge amounts of functionality compared to Docs2Go, and a much more accurate reflection of what your document will end up looking like on a full-sized computer. I still prefer using a larger screen whenever possible, but it's perfect for creating and modifying documents on the fly.
    DenverRalphy and JeepBB like this.
    09-15-15 02:18 PM
    Office on iOS and Android is excellent, not a clue what you're talking about. It offers huge amounts of functionality compared to Docs2Go, and a much more accurate reflection of what your document will end up looking like on a full-sized computer. I still prefer using a larger screen whenever possible, but it's perfect for creating and modifying documents on the fly.
    This guy: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cehub&hl=pt_BR

But if you mean the TABLET versions, then we're not talking about the same offering of software since there are no BB10 tablets thus making your point irrelevant.
    09-15-15 02:32 PM

But if you mean the TABLET versions, then we're not talking about the same offering of software since there are no BB10 tablets thus making your point irrelevant.
    Never knew that a single "Office Mobile" app was even a thing - I'm referring to the individual apps making up the Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), in the same way that Docs to Go is really made up of three separate apps (Word to Go, Sheets to Go, and whatever the PowerPoint equivalent is called).

And no, I'm not talking about the tablet versions - I don't own an iOS or Android tablet. I primarily use the mobile Office suite on my iPhone, although I've dabbled with the (rather similar) Android version on other devices.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-15-15 02:36 PM

I don't know about Android but on iOS the largely useless phone version was updated to be essentially the same as the tablet one. It is quite useful other than reviewing comments - that is one important area for me that I wish would be better.

ETA: I am referring to the Word, Excel and Powerpoint apps.

MS has really thrown themselves into providing good mobile experience with their Office suite. Outlook is quite good too, including for Watch support. They get better each update as well. This is the one area I am somewhat surprised BBRY hasn't bargained with the devil to get 1) excellent support and 2) some nice exclusive-to-BBRY features. OTOH, given WP was competing hotly with BBRY for customers, maybe it isn't surprising that MS did not bite.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-15-15 02:39 PM
    Never knew that a single "Office Mobile" app was even a thing - I'm referring to the individual apps making up the Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), in the same way that Docs to Go is really made up of three separate apps (Word to Go, Sheets to Go, and whatever the PowerPoint equivalent is called).

And no, I'm not talking about the tablet versions - I don't own an iOS or Android tablet. I primarily use the mobile Office suite on my iPhone, although I've dabbled with the (rather similar) Android version on other devices.
    But that's the thing, that would be comparing Apples to Berries (ba dun ts!). The OP can't use the iOS apps can he? Let's stick to what can become a solution here instead of rambling on how the grass in greener somewhere.

I don't know about Android but on iOS the largely useless phone version was updated to be essentially the same as the tablet one. It is quite useful other than reviewing comments - that is one important area for me that I wish would be better.
    Which explains a lot of LazyEvul's stance and reaction to my post. On Android, you have the one I linked AND separate tablet versions that are way better in every single possible conceivable way.

Oh yeah, about that. Just be glad you can read the comments, will you?

This is the one area I am somewhat surprised BBRY hasn't bargained with the devil to get 1) excellent support and 2) some nice exclusive-to-BBRY features. OTOH, given WP was competing hotly with BBRY for customers, maybe it isn't surprising that MS did not bite.
    Do we know they didn't try? No, we don't. I would love if we could stop assuming things. If BB is to be bashed, then bash them for buying Docs2Go and not providing us with at the very least, the same feature set available on Android.
    09-15-15 02:41 PM
    I'm never without my laptop for very long, and only use Docs to Go for very minor edits and updates to some spreadsheets. However, if BlackBerry 10 can't offer a best-in-class experience on either MS Office or Google Apps (and obviously it doesn't) then it's hard to make a case for it as the best platform for professionals who don't have quick access to a "real" computer for extended periods.

I love BB10, and it works great for me as the ultimate communications tool I need, but I can certainly appreciate the opinion of folks who need more extensive document creation and editing tools while on their mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and TgeekB like this.
    09-15-15 02:46 PM
    But that's the thing, that would be comparing Apples to Berries (ba dun ts!). The OP can't use the iOS apps can he? Let's stick to what can become a solution here instead of rambling on how the grass in greener somewhere.
    The original argument by Soulstream was that the Office suite is better - I was merely upholding that argument. The Office suite was never officially available for BB10, so the entire argument was always about the grass being greener somewhere else, was it not?

Which explains a lot of LazyEvul's stance and reaction to my post. On Android, you have the one I linked AND separate tablet versions that are way better in every single possible conceivable way.

Oh yeah, about that. Just be glad you can read the comments, will you?
    The separate apps are available for Android smartphones as well, and so far as I can tell, they are virtually identical to their iOS counterparts:
    09-15-15 02:54 PM
    As the OP, this was intended to be a discussion of the App Gap in the strict context of "paid" work. So far, all the responses have been on topic IMO.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 03:08 PM
    Do we know they didn't try? No, we don't. I would love if we could stop assuming things. If BB is to be bashed, then bash them for buying Docs2Go and not providing us with at the very least, the same feature set available on Android.
    Wasn't aware I was bashing BBRY. I was making a comment on a truly glaring lack in an area which arguably should be a BB stomping ground. But as I said, MS had IMO some solid reasons to decide not to give BBRY any advantage.

Docs2Go cannot compete in any way, shape or form with MS Office suite due to the latter's dominance in the office. MS is definitely improving Android versions of its software as well so if they haven't yet quite caught up with iOS versions they will soon. If anything, Google's services would be the closest competitor. So how Docs2Go performs on Android vs another platform is largely irrelevant to what I was talking about. If anything, I tend to agree with BBRY not to pour resources into it. I think it could be a bit of a money pit.
    09-15-15 03:26 PM
    I'm never without my laptop for very long, and only use Docs to Go for very minor edits and updates to some spreadsheets. However, if BlackBerry 10 can't offer a best-in-class experience on either MS Office or Google Apps (and obviously it doesn't) then it's hard to make a case for it as the best platform for professionals who don't have quick access to a "real" computer for extended periods.

I love BB10, and it works great for me as the ultimate communications tool I need, but I can certainly appreciate the opinion of folks who need more extensive document creation and editing tools while on their mobile devices.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. A lot of documents I work with are very long and finicky with formatting. As it is it can be a bit dicey jumping back and forth between Windows and Mac/iOS versions of Word, for example, but it can be disastrous trying for compatibility with another application/app. It would be insane and professionally suicidal for me to do so to make a largely pointless point. Tilting at windmills and getting tossed arse over to boot, so to speak.
    09-15-15 03:33 PM
    Not Office Mobile. The "full" suite is available as a beta on Google Play.
    09-15-15 04:07 PM
    Concur, Workforce Ready (Kronos), a whole slew of my mega-corp employer's internal apps only available for iOS and Android. I sideloaded the first two on my BBs but who knows when the android runtime gets outdated. This is where BB went wrong (or was simply locked out) while pursuing the popular consumer end of the business, which is a shame because BB10 is a crackin' system for business.
    09-15-15 04:37 PM
    Invoice2go?

:-D

(Android on BB Passport, and iPad mini)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-15-15 11:58 PM
    This discussion reminds me of the time when there were mid-sized retail outlets for hardware, appliances, eletroncis, etc. that you would do most of your shopping at. After the big box and internet retailers came along, one would sometimes go into one of these smaller stores and ask for an item they didn't have and they would always say "We don't have that but we can certainly order it for you." Their thought was they could get you something similar to whatever you wanted, eventually. Until they went out of business.

The point is that you can't offer something that is just as good or available by jumping through a couple of hoops when there is a store that has exactly what you want when you want it across the street or online. If 95% of smartphones run Office Mobile or whatever other enterprise or consumer app that is out there then anything else is simply "not competitive" as John Chen put it.
    09-16-15 12:45 AM
    Thanks, all. This has been very helpful. My conclusion, although I love the BB10 OS, is that there really is no choice for Blackberry other than to commit to supporting Android and iOS as their primary business strategy. I still believe that the BB10 platform is excellent, but that does not compensate for the "network effect" advantage that iOS and Android currently hold. Selfishly, I would be very happy if Blackberry can continue to offer BB10 with some kind of functional Android run time for the next year or two, but BB10 cannot save the handset business. Not even if they offered the most powerful chip on the most beautiful screen both with and without physical keyboards for $250 ea.

Software drives hardware purchases, not the other way around.
    09-16-15 08:09 AM
    Not Office Mobile. The "full" suite is available as a beta on Google Play.
    Didn't we alredy discuss this? A bit late to the party, are we?
    09-16-15 04:02 PM
33 12