hey everyone,

I just got a new BB 9700 couple of days ago and I've been trying to connect it to the house wifi to use the net through that at home, but it doesn't seem to work. it connects and everything but when i open the browser, and it is set to "hotspot browser" it seems to make an attempt to connect but doesn't load anything it. then i get an error message saying couldn't connect, if problem occurs again, contact service provider... which is t mobile... any help is appreciated.

btw, i connected the BB at my college where they have a special wifi for smart phones, and it connected fine through their and worked fine. i know it wasn't my wireless net cause i had the sim card out.
    02-10-10 09:53 AM
    So when you connect at college the"wifi" symbol in the top right is white, but when you try to connect at home it's greyed out?

I checked my settings and when I connect to my home wifi it's set to "internet browser". Could try that?

Paleface

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 03:16 PM
    I checked the settings and the only option I have is hotspot browser. There is no Internet browser option there. Is their any way to fix this grayed out wifi???

02-10-10 04:26 PM
    hey everyone,

I just got a new BB 9700 couple of days ago and I've been trying to connect it to the house wifi to use the net through that at home, but it doesn't seem to work. it connects and everything but when i open the browser, and it is set to "hotspot browser" it seems to make an attempt to connect but doesn't load anything it. then i get an error message saying couldn't connect, if problem occurs again, contact service provider... which is t mobile... any help is appreciated.

btw, i connected the BB at my college where they have a special wifi for smart phones, and it connected fine through their and worked fine. i know it wasn't my wireless net cause i had the sim card out.
    I kinda get the same thing. Sometimes the browser will use wifi, sometimes not. Flycast internet radio works great when it decides to use wifi, but if not it's hopeless because I get no 3G here.

None of which is any help to you, but I watch this thread hoping to learn something.

02-10-10 05:19 PM
    Did you use the "set up wi-fi" option in manage connections? On my 9700 with AT&T, it already had the "AT&T wi-fi" set up but I had to set up home and work profiles by going through the setup and scan for available networks. Maybe that's why it will work at school but not home. Sometimes when I get home, my home network name will show up but the icon is still greyed out for a few minutes but usually not more that 3 or 4.
    02-10-10 10:10 PM
    Yea, I used the "setup new wifi" ... The bb is connected to the wifi and I do get a ip address and everything. I also tried to use the wifi tools and tried to ping google.com and YouTube.com but the pings never went through. I'm starting to hate BB and I only had for it couple of days now.. So many problems ...

02-10-10 10:14 PM
    Read the complete Wifi how to page. Make sure your router is set up properly. Usually is a setting on the router thats a problem.

Complete Wifi how to
    02-10-10 10:19 PM
    went through the whole wifi setup like it said in that thread but still nothing...
    02-10-10 11:09 PM
    Hi all - how do I know (once wifi is connected and lit up white) that wifi is being used over the data plan?
    02-10-10 11:12 PM
    Jatt, beats me. Sounds like you might have to break down and call good ole customer service. esvee, I can tell just by the difference in data speed. Also, when I'm using the browser, in the bar at the top, it will say wi-fi or show the signal bars if not on wi-fi. If your bar isn't at the top, just press the "u" key. That makes the top bar appear and disappear.
    02-10-10 11:28 PM
    Another thing I've noticed, when on 3G, my email is sometimes delayed. Not more than a minute or 2 but on wi-fi, it's immediate. I guess in a effort to conserve bandwidth on the mobile network, the emails aren't pushed to the phone as often or as quickly as wi-fi, which wouldn't task the mobile network. That's just a guess on my part but it seems like a logical reason for the difference in email delivery times.
    02-10-10 11:34 PM
    ok... i found the solution to this problem.

the BB 9700 doesnt get along with routers with a WPA key... so i took off the lock on my home wifi and the BB worked fine... i know thats not a solution cause no one wants to leave their network open... so i locked it back up with a WPA2 key and everything worked out fine... im so glad this thing got fixed....
    02-11-10 09:54 PM
    ok... i found the solution to this problem.

the BB 9700 doesnt get along with routers with a WPA key... so i took off the lock on my home wifi and the BB worked fine... i know thats not a solution cause no one wants to leave their network open... so i locked it back up with a WPA2 key and everything worked out fine... im so glad this thing got fixed....
    LOL- I had to LOCK my network to get it to work! It didn't want to work on my open router.
    02-11-10 10:54 PM
    lmaoo... these BB devices are very funny...
    02-11-10 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD