Phone:
    BlackBerry Curve 8320

Patience:
    Wearing THIN.

Problem:
    My BB won't allow me to receive OR send calls or text messages unless I'm at home or somewhere else where I have access to a wireless network. It's fine indoors but if I step outside or take a walk to the store, or a drive across town.... connection automatically ceases to exist. It'll start searching for networks but never finds one.

This is actually a recent problem. When I first got the phone about a month ago (it's used) I was able to do all things freely. I wanted to use the wifi at home to access the net (without purchasing a data plan), so I changed a few of the settings around according to some dudes instructions on a website I came across. It worked. Today, I finally got around to talking to Customer Service. They were of absolutely NO help. The only suggestion the woman made was to get a new Sim Card? I figure the problem would more than likely be in the settings, not the sim, but I'm going to try seeing if that works.

In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions as to how I could go about fixing this and WHY it's happening? I mean, you shouldn't need to be connected to wifi in order to send/ receive calls and texts...

Confusedly Yours,
    - IHateTechnology.
    05-15-10 12:15 AM
    I can beleive no on replied yet.
    You said you bought it used. Have you dropped it thus far?
    It could be that the wireless radio is broken. Or waterdamage.
    My old samsung unknown model phone got wet and the screen was stuck at a neve ending signal search.
    While the phone is searching for service all day, does it get extremely hot?
    If not then I feel the radio may be broken.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-10 07:40 AM
    No big deal, I was expecting to wait a while. Maybe no one knows wtf I'm talking about? Customer Service sure didn't! Thanks for replying though. Nope, I haven't dropped it or gotten water anywhere near the thing. I really don't know what to do with it but it's starting to be a real problem. I can't leave the house without my service cutting off, and I just got a new job and need to be able to communicate with them when they call and need to speak with me. Very important.

The only thing I can think of is that I took off my old cracked housing and I replaced it with a new one I bought on ebay. Just the housing... not the LCD screen or anything else. Very basic switch. Then again, it was working fine after that too. I'm screwed.

Wireless radio, you say? No idea where or what that is but I'll google and see what I find. It was working great a few weeks ago. Now I'm super annoyed. Thanks for your help
    05-15-10 11:10 PM
    If I understand correctly, you are able to get a Wifi connection with the UMA indicator while in a Wifi Hotspot.

I suspect one of the setting changes you made was:

Options / Mobile Network / Connection Preferences: Wifi Only.

Change that setting to: Wifi Preferred.
    05-16-10 11:14 AM
    Correct. BUT I haven't changed those settings, my phone is always set to "Wifi Preferred." I played around with the Network Options for a while as well and tried to see if any of them had a different effect on phone reception. It didn't.

I was told that it could be my Sim Card, and now I'm starting to believe that that could be the problem. Which I thought seemed silly at first, but now that everything else seems alright... that could be it! I took it out last night to examine and saw that it actually has little burnt streaks running across the back. NOT normal, right? I also got a "Sim Card Error" across the top of the screen when I put everything back into place and turned the phone back on. Its Sunday and I finally have some time to make it down to T-Mobile so hopefully it'll all be fixed by the end of the day *fingers crossed*. Thanks for your help, guys!

If this doesn't work... I SHALL RETURN!
    05-16-10 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD