One of my colleagues brought my attention to a strange problem he noticed. When he tries to send an MMS to a number registered to a different network than the one he is on with his 8900, the MMS doesn't arrive. With the same SIM in a different phone, there is no problem. At first I thought it had to do with the firmware he's running (.76) so I gave it a try with my own 8900 (@ .199) and my own SIM. My MMS didn't arrive either. The test number we used can receive MMS, so the problem isn't on the receiving end.

To make matters worse, sending to e-mail has the same effect. The BB says it's been sent but it never arrives in the e-mail. I've tried my work mail and my gmail, neither receives an MMS. To see if this problem only occurs on the 8900, we've also tested this with an 8220 and a 9000 and they actually produce the same result: no MMS to be received.

If I take a look on the network, I don't see any MMS being sent. It looks like the BBs say they've sent the MMS when they actually don't. Sending an MMS to a number in the same network works like a charm.

Anyone else ever experienced this? I can't find a setting in the BB to (dis)allow sending MMS to a different network than the home network. I'll have to test this with a BB that runs on 4.5 to see if the problem is in 4.6.x.

Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated, at the moment I'm really hurting my brains figuring out what this can be.

All tested BBs are on a BES and BIS, could it be possible that there's a setting on the BES that can block you from sending MMS to other networks? I'd have to try with a BB that's only on the BIS too, then.

Update: it seems that this issue has arisen since our upgrade to BIS 2.6. Strange...
    Last edited by FooLsKi; 03-27-09 at 09:13 AM. Reason: extra info added.
    03-27-09 07:48 AM
    The admin for your BES can block or allow whatever they please! As well as keep track of everything you do on your handheld! so watch out!
    03-27-09 09:03 AM
    The admin for your BES can block or allow whatever they please! As well as keep track of everything you do on your handheld! so watch out!
    I know they can track anything I do on my BES BB. Unfortunately this problem also occurs with BIS users. Looks like something in BIS 2.6...

I'll see if I can email somebody from RIM for this.
    03-30-09 04:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD