Who wins this battle and why?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 01:40 PM
    Who said it was a battle? Silent Circle is a hardware company who sells a secure phone called Blackphone. BlackBerry is now a software company who sells device management and security based software and services, and also happens to still sell phones.
    09-29-15 02:19 PM
    If you really have to compare them, you can do that by judging the two from 3 points of view:
    - specs: hw
    - software
    - personal taste.
    Given that the third argument is for sure based on personal preference, you cannot really speak about the other two categories,as per now.
    The BlackBerry Priv has been announced but we still aren't sure (100%) of its specs and we still know nothing about its software proposal. It will launch with Lollipop? Will it launch with Marshmallow? Will it really be 'secure'? Other than that, we have to give a tangible definition of 'secure'. Does it means it shouldn't be rootable? Etc..
    Wait and see ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Ecm likes this.
    09-29-15 02:45 PM
    If you really have to compare them, you can do that by judging the two from 3 points of view:
    - specs: hw
    - software
    - personal taste.
    Given that the third argument is for sure based on personal preference, you cannot really speak about the other two categories,as per now.
    The BlackBerry Priv has been announced but we still aren't sure (100%) of its specs and we still know nothing about its software proposal. It will launch with Lollipop? Will it launch with Marshmallow? Will it really be 'secure'? Other than that, we have to give a tangible definition of 'secure'. Does it means it shouldn't be rootable? Etc..
    Wait and see ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Um, we know all about the software and specs. It runs Google. It has the latest Qualcomm specs, and the cameras and all that good stuff.
    09-29-15 04:37 PM
    Um, we know all about the software and specs. It runs Google. It has the latest Qualcomm specs, and the cameras and all that good stuff.
    Wow! So many detailed infos up here!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 04:39 PM
    No! We actually know very little at present. Pretty pictures mean nothing in relation to what is under the hood.

BlackBerry has said very little that enables the assumption you are making.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2639 on T-Mobile
    09-29-15 04:45 PM
    No! We actually know very little at present. Pretty pictures mean nothing in relation to what is under the hood.

BlackBerry has said very little that enables the assumption you are making.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2639 on T-Mobile
    Actually everything he said was a direct quote from the head honcho of BlackBerry, himself.
    09-29-15 05:34 PM
    Here's what I'm wondering: how can blackphone be profitable but BB10 not? At $799, perhaps that's how they are profitable? If BlackBerry jacked up their prices, and release one phone at a time, couldn't they be more sustainable?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 07:52 PM
    Actually everything he said was a direct quote from the head honcho of BlackBerry, himself.
    I like Mr. Chen. I admire his efforts to do the impossible at BlackBerry. BUT---------after the way he attempted to demo the Priv, I will wait for the black and white publication of the Priv's specs before deciding if it will worthily replace my Passport. At the moment, I intend to ride my Passport into the sunset.

All the speculation in these threads is interesting. But common sense. especially in regard to BlackBerry the company, requires me to wait for the publication of specifications before considering selling my soul to Android. BlackBerry will need to have done something extraordinarily special with Android including making sure it is released with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and if not, upgraded to Marshmallow ASAP - weeks NOT months.
    Last edited by GenghisKahn2011; 09-29-15 at 09:28 PM.
    09-29-15 08:53 PM
    I like Mr. Chen. I admire his efforts to do the impossible at BlackBerry. BUT---------after the way he attempted to demo the Priv, I will wait for the black and white publication of the Priv's specs before deciding if it will worthily replace my Passport. At the moment, I intend to ride my Passport into the sunset.

All the speculation in these threads is interesting. But common sense. especially in regard to BlackBerry the company, requires me to wait for the publication of specifications before considering selling my soul to Android. BlackBerry will need to have done something extraordinarily special with Android including making sure it is released with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and if not, upgraded to Marshmallow ASAP - weeks NOT months.
    Lol as a Z3 owner, I have no need for a new Android for a while. Plus I hate the OS. I plan to use my Q10 until support is fully dropped. Hopefully if they really are done with BB10, they keep occasional security updates and leave the store up for at least another five years. Unfortunately that is unlikely though and they will probably drop it as soon as all two year contracts are honored

If they do go completely Android I hope they fail badly so I can buy the brand when I get famous and bring it back from the dead via my passion for the QNX system and my future limitless wallet
    09-29-15 09:37 PM
    Here's what I'm wondering: how can blackphone be profitable but BB10 not? At $799, perhaps that's how they are profitable? If BlackBerry jacked up their prices, and release one phone at a time, couldn't they be more sustainable?

Posted via CB10
    We don't know if the Blackphone is profitable or not. It's common to lose money on a 1st gen tech device. All we know is that Blackphone sold enough that the investors okayed another model in hopes of selling more.
    09-29-15 09:45 PM
    Isn't the blackphone small? Looked pretty small in the pic I saw.
    09-29-15 09:51 PM
    Isn't the blackphone small? Looked pretty small in the pic I saw.
    no its your typical phablet size

The Priv vs Blackphone.-aaw8cch.png
    09-29-15 10:00 PM
    no its your typical phablet size

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aaw8CCh.png 
Views:	801 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	373753
    Whoever was holding it must have huge hands then.
    09-29-15 10:03 PM
    I want to run Google. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 10:32 PM
    This is an easy one.

I can buy a Blackphone 2 TODAY. The BlackBerry Priv, doesn't even exists and might be available by the end of the year. Case closed.

I'm really more surprised that the hardcore BlackBerry fanboys aren't screaming for litigation because of the word "Black" in Blackphone 2.
    09-30-15 09:55 AM
    I don't know about technical differences. I, of course, hope that BlackBerry Priv would be far superior.

But I can say this - Blackphone2 is much much better in marketing. Even when their phone was hacked in less than 15 minutes, they continued pushing strong marketing messages.

That BlackBerry lacks significantly. BlackBerry Priv page looks like designed by a grade school student.

CEO comes on TV unprepared to demo. You are announcing a new device, media is going to ask you about it, you could easily have come prepared with couple of 'quotable' lines instead of making **** up on the go (it runs google!)

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-30-15 10:20 AM
    The black phone 2 has a hardened os (not been rooted...yet lol) and the priv... We simply don't have enough to really say anything! Especially regarding the os and what BlackBerry have done under to hood. Well... I hope they've done something otherwise this will become farcical really quick :-/
    Sent using tapatalk!
    09-30-15 05:01 PM
    I don't know about technical differences. I, of course, hope that BlackBerry Priv would be far superior.

But I can say this - Blackphone2 is much much better in marketing. Even when their phone was hacked in less than 15 minutes, they continued pushing strong marketing messages.

That BlackBerry lacks significantly. BlackBerry Priv page looks like designed by a grade school student.

CEO comes on TV unprepared to demo. You are announcing a new device, media is going to ask you about it, you could easily have come prepared with couple of 'quotable' lines instead of making **** up on the go (it runs google!)

Posted via CB10
    Every student prepares his/her talk and they have their "stuff" under their belt... :-)

Hey Chen! I liked your demo, but polish it next time, hey?

(edit: if this is the pinnacle of more than half a year's work!)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-30-15 06:05 PM
    Who wins this battle and why?

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, I think Blackphone wins. You're comparing a slider with android and an unsecured BBM product out of the box with a modern form factor phone with silent circle functionality out of the box.

Not much of a contest.
    09-30-15 07:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    BBRY has, till now, been using an OS that too many folks rejected.
    09-30-15 08:06 PM