But the problems far outweighed what I liked about it:

- Battery life was miserable
    - Phone constantly ran hot
    - I hated the keyboard. Just because a phone has a pkb doesn't mean its going to be a pleasure to type on it. It was too small, and felt so cheap when I hit the buttons. I never thought I'd feel a cheaper feeling keyboard than like what was on the Palm Pre phones. The Priv took the prize though and was awful.
    - The camera was mediocre at best
    - The reception I got with that phone was absolutely horrific. I've never dropped so many calls in my life.
    - My slider, after a few weeks of use, began to grind and struggled to open.
    - The back of the phone had a mushy feel to it that drove me nuts every time I held it.
    Either I was really lucky with my Priv or BlackBerry worked hard to correct virtually all of these issues for later build units.

I updated my Priv to Marshmallow straight out of the box so that probably helped too.

Anyway, the initial problems tarnished the phone's reputation beyond repair. For me though a gorgeous device.
    08-15-17 02:54 PM
    Either I was really lucky with my Priv or BlackBerry worked hard to correct virtually all of these issues for later build units.

I updated my Priv to Marshmallow straight out of the box so that probably helped too.

Anyway, the initial problems tarnished the phone's reputation beyond repair. For me though a gorgeous device.
    Yeah. Like I said, that was only my experience with the phone. I got it on launch day and it had problems for a long time until I finally got rid of it.
    08-16-17 03:55 AM
    Why did the PRIV sell bad anyway?? It seemed like it had everything going for it...
    Except that 808 hexa processor, hated it in my LG-V10.

....but love the 801! .. I think 801 is faster...

Everything else I Loved about specs I read.
    Especially screen and slider PKB...

Posted via CB10
    08-16-17 05:06 AM
    Except that 808 hexa processor, hated it in my LG-V10.

....but love the 801! .. I think 801 is faster...

Everything else I Loved about specs I read.
    Especially screen and slider PKB...

Posted via CB10
    There is little doubt that the 808 was faster....

Thing is that both Google, OEMs and developers keep adding to the loads on these processors and other compontents. I expect if you were able to load BB10 or Kit Kat. on a modern device, it would seem much faster than current setups.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-16-17 07:49 AM
    Priv might have made sense on BB10 as OS was a lot more interpolated with physical keyboard but at the same time it was going to be the first true BB10 full touchscreen phablet. It's intent was to be touchscreen first and slider second which again made sense on pkb driven OS. On Android that has very little pkb dependences it was a nuance because the trade off was not worth it. Sure it was a great differentiation factor on the market no doubt but it didn't make too much sense.

But Priv failed at the very foundation of what makes slider device a useful device. Sliders are supposed to enable you screen estate while offering keyboard on demand if or when needed. That means keyboard has to be good and integral part of the device and software. In order to pull that off there is a golden ratio between height and width of the device over all as well of the sliding keyboard as the sliding part needs to provide balance and useful, comfortable typing with no drawbacks or compromises. Priv simply ditched all the rules and went phablet size which introduced height issues with slider on as well as balancing the weight issues. Phablets itself have the chooped usability due to none of the OSes adjusting to their screen size in some responsive manner. You have your usual header and footer with basic interactions and that itself introduces massive hand travel, not a finger travel but a hand travel. Responsive behavior is something that no one has implemented yet unfortunately. Priv had a chance to minimize the hand travel with its pkb but since pkb is not supported systemwide that was not the option. Pkb itself is not comfortable in order to save height and weight and like that without any other functions other than typing/scrolling it didn't bring nothing to the table.
    08-17-17 02:18 PM
    STOP hiding the PKB in shame behind the screen, when retracted, and I'd be interested. Compromised niche products are rarely successful. Niche must BOLDLY (pun intended lol) carve out differentiation, to excite interest. Imo.

Also, who needs a giant screen WHILE typing? Think about what portion of screen you're viewing while typing.... rarely more than a couple lines, in my case.

Retract the PKB in FRONT of the lower part of the screen (with pride!!!) and make PKB speed dials and shortcuts available ALL of time. Imo.
    08-17-17 07:56 PM
    Retract the PKB in FRONT of the lower part of the screen (with pride!!!) and make PKB speed dials and shortcuts available ALL of time. Imo.
    They did that, it's called the KEYone lol
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-18-17 02:16 AM
    They did that, it's called the KEYone lol
    Haha... maybe that's why K1 felt so tall! Its slider mechanism must have been locked extended!! I just wasn't smart enough to figure how to retract it, I suppose... ??? Silly me... lol.
    08-18-17 02:51 AM
    Haha... maybe that's why K1 felt so tall! Its slider mechanism must have been locked extended!! I just wasn't smart enough to figure how to retract it, I suppose... ??? Silly me... lol.
    That's where all the glue went- locking the slider open! That's why there wasn't enough left to keep the screen on. 😒
    DreadPirateRegan and Wezard like this.
    08-18-17 05:50 PM
    That's where all the glue went- locking the slider open! That's why there wasn't enough left to keep the screen on. ������
    Ha! Removable screen makes a great feature! Always wished for a cordless removable screen that could be held in one hand while typing on the separated PKB with the other hand... lol. Sort of like Playbook with 9900 thru bridge/remote but detachable screen would be more portable... Nice innovation TCL!!
    aNGERY likes this.
    08-18-17 06:56 PM
    Priv was a flop because they really didn't advertise it as much as they should have. An android based phone with a sliding PKB that nobody knows existed.
    This was the main issue. I think a Priv 2 would definitely work better along side the KEYone over a traditional slab. Use the 600 series chip and put some effort in creating a really good keyboard for the Priv 2.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-17 08:28 PM
    Why did the PRIV sell bad anyway?? It seemed like it had everything going for it...
    One of our BBM group mates works for a local telco/carrier, and they still haven't sold them all, they didn't order a ton...

I could, but can't give you more info than that. Priv wasn't selling too well... :-(

•   BlackBerry... where are we heading...? Pray tell... ;-D   •
    08-20-17 04:19 PM
    I've been on my Priv for twelve months now and while the pkb could better, I was able to acclimate to it in just a couple of days. I still prefer the pkb on my Q10, but the Priv pkb is usable and I'm pretty much fast and accurate on it. The bonus is that the vkb is very good and I end up using the vkb probably more than half the time for quick bursts of typing. For longer input like work email, nothing beats the pkb.

I for one would like a sequel to the Priv. I cannot go back to a small screen, and the convenience of a tuck away pkb is just too hard to jettison.
    Wezard likes this.
    08-31-17 10:56 PM
38 12