or keyone. Had a passport which I loved, but time to go android
    06-12-19 10:02 PM
    Of those, KEYone, and only if you can get it for cheaper.
    06-13-19 07:01 AM
    Agreed, cheap KEYone, 3/32 $200 or less not the early batches with screen detachment problems. Avoid the CDMA KEYone since it was only either VZW or Sprint compatible by specific models. Either of those models are stuck on Nougat as well. Better yet, the BE KEYone, 4/64 and $250 or less.
    06-13-19 07:29 AM
    Depends on what you want. Slab or PKB? In my opinion, the only reason to own a BlackBerry anymore would be for the PKB (and DTEK, but mostly can live without) since all of the software is now widely available for other devices. Even purchasing for "security" is questionable these days as Google and other OEM's have made significant inroads in this area.
    06-13-19 07:39 AM
    Depends on what you want. Slab or PKB? In my opinion, the only reason to own a BlackBerry anymore would be for the PKB (and DTEK, but mostly can live without) since all of the software is now widely available for other devices. Even purchasing for "security" is questionable these days as Google and other OEM's have made significant inroads in this area.
    I only assumed PKB as coming from Passport or so I thought. I agree if you’re already enjoying VKB somewhere else, that why you get a BBMo device today, ultimately, is the PKB feature. There’s plenty of awesome VKB choices over DTEK today, better and cheaper. The PRIV is just too old and it was first generation Android replete with too many problems that aren’t worth dealing with today.
    06-13-19 08:14 AM
    I only assumed PKB as coming from Passport or so I thought. I agree if you’re already enjoying VKB somewhere else, that why you get a BBMo device today, ultimately, is the PKB feature. There’s plenty of awesome VKB choices over DTEK today, better and cheaper. The PRIV is just too old and it was first generation Android replete with too many problems that aren’t worth dealing with today.
    I had a Priv. Never gave me any problems. Maybe I was lucky? I have a DTEK 50 I'm currently rocking. It too has never given me a problem. Underrated device in my opinion. However, if I stay with a slab I will not be trying find a Motion, etc. I'll score the Pixel 3a. My wife has it and it is a really solid device for its price. Otherwise I will get a KEYx.
    06-13-19 08:23 AM
    I had a Priv. Never gave me any problems. Maybe I was lucky? I have a DTEK 50 I'm currently rocking. It too has never given me a problem. Underrated device in my opinion. However, if I stay with a slab I will not be trying find a Motion, etc. I'll score the Pixel 3a. My wife has it and it is a really solid device for its price. Otherwise I will get a KEYx.
    I have the AT&T PRIV and it was awful on battery life and overheated when I followed same usage patterns from my LG G2 at time. BB had never done Android before, used a new SOC and slider form that pushed the limits.

I have both DTEK and both were improvements over the PRIV despite rebadged Alcatel device status. Both devices suffered from performance issues around not being fully designed integrally from initial stages.

The battery life of all three devices was shortened by overheating and constant recharging due to battery life. Earlier versions of BBAndroid seemed to eat battery charge and therefore battery life. The KEYone and thereafter seem to have addressed this problem.

If you haven’t already purchased any KEYone by now, skip it. The Key2 is not really worth the extra money for capacitive PKB and I’d suggest the Key2 LE since it’s been carrier vetted on VZW and offered carrier sold. Similar to AT&T vetting KEYone and Sprint vetting CDMA KEYone for sale.

The factory unlocked Key2 LE was already VZW certified and be fine on AT&T or T-MOBILE as well. If you’re outside USA or North America in general, you should be fine as well. Just avoid the non-BBMo versions.
    06-13-19 09:15 AM
    The only Berry's really worth looking at today are the KEYone Black Edition, the KEY2 LE and the KEY2.

Find whichever best suits your budget.
    bh7171 and whitieiii like this.
    06-13-19 11:24 AM
    The battery life of all three devices was shortened by overheating and constant recharging due to battery life. Earlier versions of BBAndroid seemed to eat battery charge and therefore battery life. The KEYone and thereafter seem to have addressed this problem.
    The issue with the Priv is the Snapdragon 808 (and its big brother the 810), which both had thermal problems under load and negatively affected all phones that used them, including my LG G4 and my brother's LG V10, though LG did a better job of managing those sketchy Qualcomm SoCs than BB did, and had fewer problems as a result - but it was really a Qualcomm problem.
    06-13-19 02:47 PM
    The issue with the Priv is the Snapdragon 808 (and its big brother the 810), which both had thermal problems under load and negatively affected all phones that used them, including my LG G4 and my brother's LG V10, though LG did a better job of managing those sketchy Qualcomm SoCs than BB did, and had fewer problems as a result - but it was really a Qualcomm problem.
    Were those LG's running the 808 or 810 updated to Nougat?

If not, then yeah comparing a G4 and Priv on Marshmallow is pretty fair comparison, but not so much if the LG is running Nougat
    06-13-19 02:58 PM
    Wouldn’t touch either one, get a 4GB RAM KEYone, do not touch anything with less than 4GB RAM.
    the_boon and whitieiii like this.
    06-13-19 05:36 PM
    Wouldn’t touch either one, get a 4GB RAM KEYone, do not touch anything with less than 4GB RAM.
    And if he really REALLY wants a silver KEYone, then get both a Black Edition and Silver and swap out the motherboards, and then sell the Black one which would have the 3/32 setup.

Obviously, I wouldn't seriously recommend doing that unless you really know what you're doing lol
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-13-19 05:38 PM
    Wait for key3.

Keyone has reception problem and software support is about done. Key2 also has bluetooth, capacitive touch, and spacebar problems. Key2 LE is the best choice available, but the internals are pretty mediocre.
    whitieiii likes this.
    06-13-19 10:10 PM
    Wait for key3.

Keyone has reception problem and software support is about done. Key2 also has bluetooth, capacitive touch, and spacebar problems. Key2 LE is the best choice available, but the internals are pretty mediocre.
    Black Edition KEYone is still worth going for, but getting one that is meant for your region should help with reception.
    For example, if you're in NA, get a BBB100-1, if you're in EU, then a BBB100-2

Etc...

KEY2 spacebar can be hit or miss I guess

LE is the most consistent as far as quality control goes, but it's clearly a mid-ranger
    06-13-19 10:14 PM
    Wait for key3.
    The OP is considering between two phones that are about three years old and another that is going on four. I doubt that getting a phone at launch has any appeal to him.
    06-14-19 08:32 AM
    Were those LG's running the 808 or 810 updated to Nougat?

If not, then yeah comparing a G4 and Priv on Marshmallow is pretty fair comparison, but not so much if the LG is running Nougat
    Yes, they eventually were, but even before, LG had done a great job working around the SoC. Using the GPS was what made them overheat, because too many things needed power and processing - otherwise, they did pretty well. My brother still uses his V 10.
    06-14-19 09:23 AM
    Yes, they eventually were, but even before, LG had done a great job working around the SoC. Using the GPS was what made them overheat, because too many things needed power and processing - otherwise, they did pretty well. My brother still uses his V 10.
    Alright, well I guess we can blame BB ltd for being lazy in optimizing the Priv.
    Good thing it had a 3400mAh cell to help make up for it.
    06-14-19 09:39 AM
    If you are in the states or Canada the North American-Blackberry KeyOne Black Edition- Should be able to find one on Amazon for 250-300. Ensure it is the NA version PRD-039. 4GB, 64GB. Operates very well, premium feel and 2 day battery life.

If you want a slab go Pixel 3a XL and throw on the HUB suite.
    the_boon likes this.
    06-14-19 10:50 AM
    The KEY² is probably the closest match to the passport keyboard experience but if it's out of your budget KEYᵒⁿᵉ isn't that much off.
    06-14-19 11:18 AM
    KEYONE is laggy everywhere
    07-08-19 06:03 AM
    I would never understand why people always wanting to buy the old devices. Why not just get the Key2 le ? They are fairly cheap and have a better usage and longevity.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-11-19 10:17 AM
    I would never understand why people always wanting to buy the old devices. Why not just get the Key2 le ? They are fairly cheap and have a better usage and longevity.
    Budget?
    Form Factor?

But I agree.. if finally moving on to Android and you want a PKB... KEY2 or KEY2 LE is what you need to be looking at.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-11-19 10:22 AM
    Budget?
    Form Factor?

But I agree.. if finally moving on to Android and you want a PKB... KEY2 or KEY2 LE is what you need to be looking at.
    I think KEYone BE's are still good options also. They currently run the same OS as the Key2 series. They have a slightly less powerful SoC, but arguably better camera and capacitive keyboard if that is important to the user.

Of course, security updates going forward could be an issue. But, I suppose that's true with most any device.
    bh7171 likes this.
    07-11-19 10:34 AM
    I think KEYone BE's are still good options also. They currently run the same OS as the Key2 series. They have a slightly less powerful SoC, but arguably better camera and capacitive keyboard if that is important to the user.

Of course, security updates going forward could be an issue. But, I suppose that's true with most any device.
    Yup, Black Edition (Not the Indian "Limited Edition Black") as well as the Bronze are still solid phones, but...

The LE and KEY2 are better overall in most aspects
    07-11-19 11:57 AM
    I’m a budget guy for BBMo devices and was for BB as well due to company questionable stability. I paid full price on all my carrier hardware but always paid 30-50% of list for all my factory unlocked BB10 and BBAndroid hardware.

That being said, I bought the BE KEYone over the Key2 LE since one has Oreo at best and Pie is uncertain and was $100-$150 more.

If buying now, depending on price, either should be decent value. I’m also not capacitive PKB tolerant. All my devices that have the capacitive PKB have always bothered me on that feature.
    07-11-19 01:51 PM
37 12