Please help! I purchased a refurbished BB Curve on Ebay, it looks brand new works fine etc. But the huge problem I am facing is that it is receiving the prior owners emails like about 1500 per day. I have been on the phone with Blackberry customer service for about 3 hours and they cant stop it as of today. I last spoke with them on Friday. The emails come from "unknown" source. What should I do, I contacted the phone seller and told them I may return the phone don't know if they will cooperate. Hard to believe BB customer service can't cut out old account. What should I do? Please help this is very annoying.
    03-30-09 10:58 AM
    What account are they coming to the phone on?
    Surely you can remove all the email addresses from the device. Unless they are all being sent to the PIN
    03-30-09 11:01 AM
    I believe they are being sent to the pin. Not coming in to my email account. Just in the message part of the phone.
    03-30-09 11:04 AM
    Customer service CAN cut the old account, but they need the original owner to call in and cancel the services or remove the PIN from their database, technically you have a useless phone anyways as you CANNOT register your own BIS accnt as long as that PIN exists on a carrier.

The seller of the device SHOULD fix it for you, remove the accnt and remove the PIN from what ever carrier it is assoc. to otherwise it's useless to you as you cannot do anything with it.

But you stated you have email set up on the device yes?
    03-30-09 11:05 AM
    Nope the BIS account is registered to me only according to Verizon.
    03-30-09 04:27 PM
    If it's a PIN message it doesn't matter whether you call CS or not to have his PIN removed from his own BIS. The PIN is unique to your specific phone. So if it's a PIN message you need to reply to these people and tell them you're a new owner of the device.
    03-30-09 04:39 PM
    I did do just that today. He is calling BB customer service as I type this. Hopefully he can clear his info from my PIN number. I find it hard to believe that BB from the back end can't trace the source and block the email, I guess more complex than what I know.
    03-30-09 04:48 PM
    If it's a PIN message it doesn't matter whether you call CS or not to have his PIN removed from his own BIS. The PIN is unique to your specific phone. So if it's a PIN message you need to reply to these people and tell them you're a new owner of the device.
    Wait - wouldn't that also be true of every refurbished device? Or does RIM change the PIN number when they refurbish a phone?
    03-30-09 04:49 PM
    Wait - wouldn't that also be true of every refurbished device? Or does RIM change the PIN number when they refurbish a phone?
    That's a good question. And I honestly don't know if they do. But if the OP got the phone from the previous owner, the PIN does remain the same. Assuming they didn't go through RIM to try to change the PIN.
    03-30-09 04:51 PM
    You say the device is registered on your BIS now, which gave me a thought.

Was this device on a BES before you got it? If so you could try the following.

Options>Security Options>Firewall and check "Enterprise email" to block all Enterprise email. Don't forget to hit Menu>Save.
    Last edited by Fiasco; 03-30-09 at 11:54 PM.
    03-30-09 11:44 PM
    Tried the BES firewall setting but it didn't work, so must be BIS. Thanks anyway.
    03-31-09 10:38 AM
    I want to be sure of something. These are actual PIN messages being sent by a PIN and not an email address correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 10:49 AM
    Curious to know the outcome

03-31-09 10:52 AM
    Yes I believe so, they are not going to my Yahoo email account. I contacted the prior owner and she called Verizon she said they fixed it but nope still flowing in.
    03-31-09 10:53 AM
    This goes to show how important it is to close up all accounts when getting rid of your BB. For the prior owner this is a bad deal as I have access to all of her email. I'm not even sure that when I delete her mail on my BB, if it deletes it on her devise? But I can't keep all her mail, in a span of 6 hours overnight she received like 650 emails! Insane!
    03-31-09 11:06 AM
    Wow; well I hope this problem can been corrected soon for both your sake and the previous owner's sake.
    03-31-09 11:16 AM
    650 emails?!? That's nuts!!

03-31-09 12:08 PM
    Pin messages or email? These are 2 completely different things. Are people using an email address or are they sending to a pin. You should be able to tell when you open the message. If it is from a pin, reply and let them know the person no longer has that number.

03-31-09 12:23 PM
    This is why I am making sure it's a PIN message/type of email. If it's being sent to your PIN then it can only come from another PIN. PIN messages just have email looking formats. So like I said in an earlier post, you need to reply to the people PIN'ng and let them know you are a new owner.

Regardless of switching your BIS and so forth, the PIN number on the device remains the same. Nothing that BIS can do about that.
    03-31-09 12:49 PM
    Yes Poe. The op is using both terms as one.

03-31-09 12:58 PM
    I suspect PIN as deleting an email account from the BB will stop this from happening.

If these messages are coming from just a few users it should be easy to stop with some messages. But 650 in one day? Obviously there is a lot of accounts hitting this device.

THis could be part of the reason she got rid of it. Perhaps you should get your money back and find another device to buy. There may not be much you can do to stop this much traffic. A PIN cannot be changed so game over really.
    03-31-09 01:07 PM
    Well it's been a few hours and no emails I hate to speak too soon but it looks like Verizon scrubbed the BB clean. I did contact the prior owner and she called Verizon, I think it worked. If not then time to return the devise and blast their rating on ebay if he doesn't cooperate, although seller says he can fix it, he says he has sold over 30k refurbished units. But hopefully it's fixed.
    03-31-09 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD