I have a blackberry bold 9780..and when I try to press alt it brings up a search bar,It won't let me clear my phone,would anyone know how to help me please??
    04-10-12 04:54 PM
    You may have keyboard shortcuts turned on ?
    04-10-12 05:08 PM
    You need to have Universal Search disabled to do this directly from the home screen.
    To take control of this, from your home screen you will want to press menu then go to options. In the options you will notice the first option will be "Launch by Typing" and by default it is set to Universal Search. Simply click the drop down and change it to Application Shortcuts then save your changes -- just like that you are now able to launch your favorite applications via their shortcuts from the keyboard. If you want to switch back to Universal Search, just do the same and reselect the option, no reboot needed to save the changes so you can easily manage this at any given time.
    http://crackberry.com/quick-tip-how-...ch-os6-and-os7

HTH
    04-10-12 05:31 PM
    I have universal search enabled & still am able to Alt LGLG !

The OP isn't talking about keyboard shortcuts, she is talking about Alt LGLG - bb button - clear log etc to speed her bb up.

I'd first try turning off keyboard shortcuts.
    04-10-12 05:36 PM
    I have Keyboard shortcuts enabled with my custom theme and I am able to Alt LGLG !

It should also be able to be access ALT-LGLG with Universal Search on the default theme, but it will show as "/".

I think it is obvious that the OP isn't talking about keyboard shortcuts, she is talking about executing Alt LGLG to clear log etc to speed her BlackBerry up.

I'd try turning off Universal Search, as it may possibly be a custom theme issue preventing it from working.
    Some custom themes won't even allow the options page to show.
    Sometimes you have to go back to the default theme to even see it, then switch back.
    I cannot get Universal Search to work with ALT-LGLG having my custom theme myself.
    It shows as "/"/ with no log results at all.

I can be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe things are not exactly the same with a 9780 on OS6 vs. a 9900 on OS7.1.

@Samantha, have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?
    What are you current settings? Are you using the default or a custom theme?
    04-10-12 06:09 PM
    On my OS7 phone Alt + LGLG starts Search AND Event log opens.

Your phone is OS6, Alt + LGLG should work. You need to keep your finger on Alt.

You should also use the app Memory Cleaner...type it in Search if you can't find it.

If it's not there it means it's not installed on your phone. You'll need to connect it to DM and find it in Applications and check the box and click Install
    04-10-12 06:21 PM
    On my OS7 phone Alt + LGLG starts Search AND Event log opens.

Your phone is OS6, Alt + LGLG should work. You need to keep your finger on Alt.

You should also use the app Memory Cleaner...type it in Search if you can't find it.

If it's not there it means it's not installed on your phone. You'll need to connect it to DM and find it in Applications and check the box and click Install
    whoa! there's a new one for me, that memory cleaner is on os7? gonna go try tofingers quicker find that,
    thanks
    Last edited by sputneek; 04-10-12 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Fingers quicker then brain
    04-10-12 06:55 PM
    whoa! there's a new one for me, that memory cleaner is on os7? gonna go try tofingers quicker find that,
    thanks
    You have to check a box to put it on the home screen.

Options -> Security -> Advanced Security Settings -> Memory Cleaning -> check the Enable box, check the Place Memory Cleaner...on Home Screen box...enjoy
    04-10-12 08:07 PM
    You'll need to connect it to DM and find it in Applications and check the box and click Install
    04-11-12 02:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD