I'm looking for a PrePaid cell plan with data for my berry

I'm from BC Canada and travel south quite frequently to 4x4 and cover various competitions and it is costing me a fortune in Roaming cell charges our cell companies in Canada suck the big one when it comes to rates for this kinda stuff, eh

At a competition in Cali a few weeks ago I posted live picture updates with about 75 pics via blackberry direct from the courses for the guys back at home.....my bill comes Monday... I'm scared
    I will be continuing this live coverage for WE Rock Tuscon AZ in a couple weeks

I'm upgrading to a Tour that is unlocked. Since the 9630 takes a SIM card as well as the bell/telus/verizon CDMA, when I cross the border I would like to switch over to a prepaid SIM card from one of the US cell companies for cheap data, calling & texting.

Who offers PrePaid Data? I only need a few minutes and a couple texts would be nice too...

I think AT&T might offer it, but they say $0.01 per KB so $10/mb and I only pay $1/mb right now... I'd like to reduce that even more if possible?

I didn't see anything on T-Mobile's site, but there's gotta be some deals I'm missing...

Also, who offers the best coverage through western USA with GSM?

(I can use my normal roaming on the Verizon network, if there is no at&t tmobile etc coverage, but that roaming gets costly)

Thanks!

edit: Mods feel free to move this if it fit better elsewhere? I wanted to put it somewhere in the carrier sub forums, but its a general question of what carrier would suit me best, so I thought this was the next best place.....
    Last edited by Big_Ern; 04-17-10 at 06:31 AM.
    04-17-10 06:10 AM
    Or maybe this isn't really feasible, but from my understanding of an unlocked berry I can swap sim cards easily for roaming? This will be my first phone with a sim card though. I have always been on Telus' & now Bell's CDMA networks in Canada.

The cheaper Data isn't a huuuuge concern for me since I already get a "decent" rate of $1/mb, but its the phone calls at around $2/min and texts at nearly $1 each that kills me! So ideally I'd like to swap over for cheaper texting & calls and still get a decent data rate of $1/mb or less.
    Last edited by Big_Ern; 04-17-10 at 06:35 AM.
    04-17-10 06:12 AM
    In the US, you need to look at TMobile Flex Pay for pre-paid BlackBerry Data.

FlexPay(SM) Rate Plan FAQs

Whether or not it meets your criteria of "cheap data, calling & texting" is something you will need to determine for yourself.

Here's the coverage map for pre-paid.
    Prepaid and FlexPay Personal Coverage
    04-17-10 07:07 AM
    What you could do is get a Boost Mobile (Sprint prepaid) phone and I think they support BB. You just have to add the ESN and flash it.
    04-17-10 12:14 PM
    In the US, you need to look at TMobile Flex Pay for pre-paid BlackBerry Data.

FlexPay(SM) Rate Plan FAQs[/url]

Whether or not it meets your criteria of "cheap data, calling & texting" is something you will need to determine for yourself.

Here's the coverage map for pre-paid.
    Prepaid and FlexPay Personal Coverage[/url]
    I will have to give them a call. I couldn't find much about rates with blackberry data on their site... but it does look like they do it. Thanks

What you could do is get a Boost Mobile (Sprint prepaid) phone and I think they support BB. You just have to add the ESN and flash it.
    Interesting. Their plans looks very good. I will have to check if they support BIS. Thanks
    What do you mean to add the ESN and flash it? I am new to GSM service dealing with sim cards...

The US has so many different carriers it is hard to keep track of the all and what is available. Much better deals than in Canada though
    04-17-10 06:16 PM
    Actually it is CDMA but you should be able to add your ESN to their database, set up data, set up a PRL, and be good to go, assuming they have BIS or you have a BES server you can log into.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 06:49 PM
    Oh ok. I would prefer to use a GSM sim card for this roaming since the tour does both I can quickly & easily switch the network options back and forth from GSM to CDMA and check my messages at home
    04-17-10 06:53 PM
    04-17-10 09:12 PM
    The Boost Mobile option may work but then the OP would have to flash the phone which would render it useless on any other network (unless he reflashes it)

Tmobile would probably be your best bet if you're looking to pop sim cards in and out
    04-17-10 09:18 PM
    Unlocker, Tmobile sounds like my best solution for the ease of swapping SIM cards and switching from CDMA to GSM service when I cross the border.

Thanks for the link Motorcycle Mama. Tmobile's $59.99 Even More Plus 500 Talk + Text + Web Plan sounds perfect for me. That's about how much I think my bill for last trip will be for roam data alone! Now I'll get texting and calling too
    04-17-10 10:02 PM
    I am also interested in this. I will be spending 3 months in the US this summer and want to know the cehapest way of getting my Blackberry working while I'm there. I have a GSM Storm 9500.

$50 a month sounds fine, but I don't see any mention of BIS here. Can BIS be added as an add-on?
    04-21-10 04:37 PM
    They mention blackberrys on the pages surrounding these plans and if you go through the checkout process to get a pay as you go phone they have a few blackberrys listed, so I would assume they offer BIS with these plans

Good question though... I'll need to figure that out before I go ahead with it... I guess a call to Tmobile is in order...
    04-21-10 05:28 PM
    04-21-10 05:28 PM
    Was that the right link MM? I didn't see anything about blackberry's or BIS on that page?
    04-21-10 05:34 PM
    The link I posted in post #8 says this:
    EM+ and BlackBerry Service

The phone you've chosen requires a Web service in order to provide you with Internet access, e-mail, and more.
    Please choose a Talk+Text+Web plan now.

If you click on the $59.99 plan, you get this:
    Even More Plus 500 Talk + Text + Web

If you click on "Messages - Unlimited", you get the this:
    My E-mail
    My E-mail gives you unlimited access to up to eight personal e-mail accounts from your T-Mobile phone or handheld. Hook up on the go with AOL, Yahoo! Mail Plus, EarthLink, Comcast, and many more-including any POP3 and IMAP4 e-mail servers.

.... which is the link I posted in post #13.
    04-21-10 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the clarification! sorry for asking so many questions I missed the part in the link from #8 saying EM+ and BlackBerry Service

I will go to a tmobile dealer tomorrow
    04-22-10 02:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD