Hello all,

I'm taking a trip to London in February, and I'd like to get a prepaid Nano-SIM for my Blackberry Passport So I could use it there. Does anyone know where would be the best place to get one, and where I can get info on what the prices are for minutes and data?

I tried to do a search on prepaid nano-sims in the UK, but im not totally sure if they are compatible with my passport? Like if could get 4gLTE data speeds or not??

Is there anywhere inside the Gatwick airport that I could pick one up right after I land and be on my way? Any help would greatly be appreciated!!
    01-11-15 01:26 PM
    Hello all,

I'm taking a trip to London in February, and I'd like to get a prepaid Nano-SIM for my Blackberry Passport So I could use it there. Does anyone know where would be the best place to get one, and where I can get info on what the prices are for minutes and data?

I tried to do a search on prepaid nano-sims in the UK, but im not totally sure if they are compatible with my passport? Like if could get 4gLTE data speeds or not??

Is there anywhere inside the Gatwick airport that I could pick one up right after I land and be on my way? Any help would greatly be appreciated!!
    On the assumption that your Passport is unlocked, and uses GSM (not sure if BlackBerry have brought out a CDMA version or not), then you just need to visit any UK phone store to get a nano-sim.

There used to be some kiosks at one of the Gatwick Terminals (Arrival Halls) that used to sell pre-paid sims - suggest you research via: Gatwick Airport

If you are getting the train into central London from Gatwick - you will end up at Victoria Station - there are multiple phone shops within a 5 minute radius.

For stores, and sim-only prices, I suggest you internet search on: Carphone Warehouse, EE, Three, O2, Vodafone. Not sure where you are intending to be in Blighty, but Three generally has the worst rural coverage (look at the coverage map on their website to check coverage at different locations - it's pretty accurate) but some of the best deals for PAYG (unlimited) data.

Each carrier has coverage maps on their websites - on which you can search for 4G/3G/2G coverage.

Many small retailers (newsagents, etc) will also sell sim-cards - BUT many will NOT stock nano-sims

Hope this helps.

(Please support the UK economy - and spend LOADS of money here!)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 01-11-15 at 03:40 PM.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    01-11-15 02:15 PM
    FMB8900,

With your background, I expect you have an unlocked Passport...that you'll be able to then put any nano-SIM in.

Easiest way is to use a Truphone SIM - "consumer" SIM is at Truphone | US Prepaid SIM
    They also have business SIMs

Truphone SIMS are
    - prepaid
    - very easy to 'top-up'
    - works in UK, and most everywhere else
    - has a U.S. cell number -- tell them what area code you want, and what city (but may not get the city).
    So folks in the U.S. can reach you by calling your U.S. Truphone number
    - can add other numbers (other countries) to the same Truphone SIM if you wish
    - order - they'll mail it to you
    - can speak to them on the phone...they'll get any info you need if it isn't on their website
    - they can tell you what network(s) it works on in the U.K. - they don't have their own network

Unlike many prepaid SIMs, as long as you make minimal use (even in the U.S.) every month or two, your prepaid amount does't run out in a month or two. I've used a Truphone SIM in Europe (continent) in many countries over the past three years, and still have the same U.S. (NJ) number. Here in the U.S., it works on both ATT and T-Mobile.

But I use my 9900 on T-Mobile as my main phone...use the Q10 on Wi-Fi in the U.S., just sending a text every couple of months to keep the Truphone account active. You can also keep the account active also just by checking the prepaid credit available via the Truphone SIM (don't know whether they've listed that way of keeping the account active on the instructions, but that's what the representative told me).
    FMB8900 likes this.
    01-11-15 02:46 PM
    Three (3) pay as you go sim is really good. You can buy add ons for unlimited data, it is really good value.

Avoid O2 and the companies that use their network such as GiffGaff or Tesco. The signal strength is terrible.

Posted via CB10
    FMB8900 likes this.
    01-11-15 02:53 PM
    As above. Was in London last year and picked up a 3 prepaid sim unlimited data. 10 quid I think. Worked perfectly for me!

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    FMB8900 likes this.
    01-11-15 03:51 PM
    Wow! Thank you all for your responses I really appreciate it! Yeah I will be in the Victoria station area so I will have to do a bit a research to see what I can find around that area.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:33 PM
    I have Tmo here in the states, and my plan has unlimited Data roaming internationally, but is seems it's slow. Plus there are hearty fees for phone calls. Only data is no additional charge. But I think the fastest speed I can get is 3G. Plus I don't know how good the coverage is over there for Tmo usa roaming. So I think prepaid will be the way to go.

Anyone know if I can get 4G LTE speeds with and of the prepaid sims??

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:37 PM
    FMB8900,

With your background, I expect you have an unlocked Passport...that you'll be able to then put any nano-SIM in.

Easiest way is to use a Truphone SIM - "consumer" SIM is at Truphone | US Prepaid SIM
    They also have business SIMs

Truphone SIMS are
    - prepaid
    - very easy to 'top-up'
    - works in UK, and most everywhere else
    - has a U.S. cell number -- tell them what area code you want, and what city (but may not get the city).
    So folks in the U.S. can reach you by calling your U.S. Truphone number
    - can add other numbers (other countries) to the same Truphone SIM if you wish
    - order - they'll mail it to you
    - can speak to them on the phone...they'll get any info you need if it isn't on their website
    - they can tell you what network(s) it works on in the U.K. - they don't have their own network

Unlike many prepaid SIMs, as long as you make minimal use (even in the U.S.) every month or two, your prepaid amount does't run out in a month or two. I've used a Truphone SIM in Europe (continent) in many countries over the past three years, and still have the same U.S. (NJ) number. Here in the U.S., it works on both ATT and T-Mobile.

But I use my 9900 on T-Mobile as my main phone...use the Q10 on Wi-Fi in the U.S., just sending a text every couple of months to keep the Truphone account active. You can also keep the account active also just by checking the prepaid credit available via the Truphone SIM (don't know whether they've listed that way of keeping the account active on the instructions, but that's what the representative told me).
    I'll have to look into this. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:39 PM
    Yep. 3 is 4G. If you have unlimited data already maybe you could install Skype and make all your calls over VOIP.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:53 PM
    EE has the fastest 4G speed in London. 4G speed is a round triple the speed of other cities & towns in the UK.

When you insert the 4G non Sim, you'll be able to access their site for free via the browser. Where they offer 7 day & day Packs, which includes, data - minutes - Text

Packs vary in price and are reasonable.

They also offer Add Ons, you can purchase any data - minutes - Text Ads On available, maybe cheaper to purchase a Pack.

Also when I joined EE from Orange, I purchased a EE 4G Sim for �15. The Sim came with 10GB of 4G Double speed, which you used over a 90 day period (instead of the usual 30 days). Plus you keep the �15 top up, to purchase minutes & texts.

You should go with EE PAYG, they can add all your data in store.

Superfast 4G Phones & Fibre Broadband UK | 4GEE Mobile Network | EE https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=IYQlrwer

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 08:01 PM
    EE definitely have the best network coverage in the UK. They also have the most hyperactive and persistent tele marketing department!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 08:14 AM
    EE definitely have the best network coverage in the UK. They also have the most hyperactive and persistent tele marketing department!

Posted via CB10
    I'd clarify that a little - yes, they have the best 4G network coverage in the UK (with the highest speeds), but for some rural areas (eg North Somerset, South Devon) Vodafone are slightly better for 3G/2G coverage (eg my mother's & cousin's farms).

Agree completely re: their highly annoying tele-marketing activities!
    01-13-15 11:45 AM
    I'd clarify that a little - yes, they have the best 4G network coverage in the UK (with the highest speeds), but for some rural areas (eg North Somerset, South Devon) Vodafone are slightly better for 3G/2G coverage (eg my mother's & cousin's farms).

Agree completely re: their highly annoying tele-marketing activities!
    Yeah the UK doesn't have full 4G coverage in every city & town. But if your just visiting London, then EE is the better network. Faster speeds than others, plus free wi-fi when using the underground.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 04:20 PM