Anyone know of any programs out there (I'd prefer if I could do it on google maps) that allows you to download and store maps on your phone so you don't have to be in a coverage area when you want to use your GPS? I wanted to use mine over the weekend when I was out in the middle of nowhere but you're SOL if you have no covereage - plus it can be slow always having to download maps on the go...

Thanks.
    09-08-09 11:36 AM
    Nope. You still need coverage for the GPS signal to work.
    09-08-09 11:44 AM
    TrekBuddy and Mobile Gmaps are two applications that allow you do download maps in advance, for use in areas where you don't have a cell signal. I don't know if either will work with the Storm. Google their names for more info. As to RHChan84's comment, whether or not you need a cell signal depends on the GPS operating mode, which you won't be able to change. If the GPS only works in assisted mode, you may need a cell signal. My 8830 worked in that mode. No cell signal, no GPS. My Tour, on the other hand, works in autonomous mode. I can turn off the cellular radio using manage connections and the GPS will continue to operate. I don't have a Storm to test, but you can easily do that test yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 11:54 AM
    I dont know of any app that can be installed to view maps while out of a coverage area, however, the GPS does still work and has your location even if you have NO SERVICE.

I do alot of geocaching and had NO SERVICE several times, kept pointing me in the correct direction but i just could not view the map.
    09-08-09 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD